The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:22:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reverb - Real Spring or Digital?  (Read 37191 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 10:44:52 PM »

Ted,

I will look around for a used Berhinger reverb. I have a 6-band Berhinger processor and a 31 Band Berhinger EQ, so I do like their gear.

Fred -  How is the routing done to use reverb on only the audio highs with the Alesis or other reverbs? Does it require external splitting before the reverb or is it all done within the reverb itself?

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 11:50:18 PM »

I just bought this processor on eBay - new for $100 and free shipping.  Lots of reverb effects - plate cathedral, etc.   Knock yourself out.

BEHRINGER DSP2024 VIRTUALIZER PRO FX

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200412984785

I had one of these types of processors before and the weird effects get old real fast.  A touch of reverb on the highs is all I want out of it.  It doesn't include a roger beep though...  Grin

** I'm also thinking of picking up one of these "Dyno-Foggers" for the shack - for those special QSOs. (With a foot pedal for keying up with the rig)

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMERICAN-AUDIO-DJ-DYNO-FOG-II-1000-WATTS-FOGGER_W0QQitemZ190354416096QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c5201e1e0

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 12:10:13 AM »

While your at it Tom, you should add the following....

http://cgi.ebay.com/RGY-RGY-DMX-laser-Show-light-stage-Equipment-Disco_W0QQitemZ280444136571QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414bc5ec7b

AMI#1684
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 09:07:36 AM »

OK Tom I'll be listening to the Tom Vu show on K1JJ/WABC soon.
The freq split is done inside the box. I'll look at your booty links and see what you got........cawmawn.

And this weekend I'm making a special effort to get my arse in the shack for some whirl wide radio. Sounds like yous guys had the real fun of amateur radio with the DX on 75. I don't care if it snows 2 feet.................RADIO

OK looking at your links and you are having a mid-life crisis with the fogger and disco lights. Jack K9ACT hosts a video camera "Ustream" site that you essentially have a video conference with others in a QSO on 160M. Open up another venue on 3.885 and have whirl wide coverage!!!!!!!!!!
Phred

Fred KC4MOP
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 10:20:04 AM »

I have a DSP-2024 and have not been quite sure if the bypass is totally transparent.

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 12:00:28 PM »

I have a DSP-2024 and have not been quite sure if the bypass is totally transparent.

So you got one, Dave.  Hmmm... so I might be stuck on reverb all the time?  Then get used to it.... Grin

I remember my old effects box had a 180 degree polarity (phase) shift thru it and also came on with Sgt Anderson thriller effects at random when big RF was flowing. I think Berhinger is better with RF bypassing.
It appeared NOT to have a hard switch bypass either. Maybe the 2024 will need an external  in/out switching to compensate.   

I shud have just bought a disco ball for the shack and been done with it.

T

w1vtp

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 04:38:43 PM »

It's easy with the Flex -- just have a little RF in the shack Grin  I never thought much about but I bet I could play around with the effect by changing the TX buffers once I detuned the VSWR
KC2IFR
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 04:46:57 PM »

Tom,
This is just an observation and my personal taste...
When I hear a lot of reverb or worse case, echo, all I can think of is some good buddy CB transmitter.
With the quality of the equipment u always run.........please dont overdo it!

JMO.........Bill
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »

I shud have just bought a disco ball for the shack and been done with it.

T

1/2 price sale going on:
http://www.cheapdjgear.us/Mirror_Balls_s/3.htm?gclid=COKF0NWnnZ8CFQ975Qod3i4FTA

And you'll need these to:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KC2IFR
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 04:55:58 PM »

Pete,
I cant stop laughing........

Gotta get me them britches......

Bill
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 07:52:38 PM »

Here we go fellas.......YYYYYYY MCA YYYYY MCA YYYYYYYYY   MCA.

Phoggy Phred

Fred KC4MOP
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 09:38:14 PM »

no, ......dont use it at all, until you in with the in crowd that gets it...then go insane for 5 minutes, and put it away until the next time you want some giggles.  Cheesy

leds, disco ball, reverb echo set to 'STUN' set it all to go off when you drop that maul. video for you tube.
Rob K2CU
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 09:00:08 AM »

Tom,

If you feel adventuresome and want to roll your own, consider the Holtek IC P/N HT8970. It is used in many of the kareoke machines sold as consumer products. I acquired several samples of the part and used one as part of a VOX circuit that needed a long audio delay. It is real easy to use and is available in a DIP package. It contains several Op-Amp stages for active filters and a combination A/D and D/A plus 20kb ram/shift regiter and built in clock oscillator. The audio is digitized and passed though digital delay to then be converted back to analog audio. The clock speed determines the delay time. You cmbine delayed audio with input audio to create echo or reverb effect. Unlike the spring type reverbs, you can control the delay, etc.

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/64504/HOLTEK/HT8970.html

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 11:34:41 AM »

leds, disco ball, reverb echo set to 'STUN' set it all to go off when you drop that maul. video for you tube.

heheheheh ---  Ever see the show, "Cash Cab" where the contestants get into a cab, the host acts like some dummy, then suddenly pushes the button?    

Yes, the disco ball, laser lights and fog machine would be a great addition to the BIG good buddy mobiles running 4X15's.

Bob: Thanks for the info on the 8970.  The box I ordered will be here soon, so I'll take the easy way out for now.

T

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 03:16:18 PM »

Will you be calling the Reverb Net soon? That's the last time I had the spring reverb hooked up. It was always fun to bang the box and listen to the spring rattle and shake with all that reverb.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 03:52:03 PM »

Will you be calling the Reverb Net soon? That's the last time I had the spring reverb hooked up. It was always fun to bang the box and listen to the spring rattle and shake with all that reverb.

We will need Brent, The Derb and the Tron in a sacraficial ceremony to bring the Reverb Net up from the dead.

BTW, my new reverb just arrived. Gonna finger out the menu and stuff and give it an on-air try maybe tmw.

Maybe we can do some more 75 or 40M Dxing tonight.  What a blast last night! You and I were ruling that DX window for hours with an iron fist -   We had Boris', Vlads and Serges all lining up begging for action... Grin

T

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2010, 04:14:14 PM »

I will be on the AMI net on 3870. This starts around 7 to 8 pm on 3870.  I will join you guys after the net. Or join in the net also!

C
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2010, 04:24:19 PM »

Begging for action. And you left them hanging by signing out in the middle of a big pileup.

I'll tune around this evening. Checking into the West Coast AMI Net is usually a nonstarted because there are usually some SSBers on 3868 kHz that are located in the eastern half of the USA.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2010, 04:40:33 PM »

Load the thing up max.  There are SSBers on 3870 also.  Yelling, Playing music...Belching.  Worse then 11 meters.  This is why we have HI and low power.

Also.. You guys can sign into the Stickam.com site and watch the round table of AMI guys on camera.  Its normaly at www.stickam.com/wj6w or www.stickam.com/ko6nm

It should be fun.. I am going to put on my Giant AFRO Wig and Plaid Bell bottoms. Grin

Clark
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2010, 06:45:04 PM »

The reverb arrived today. (Berhinger Virtualizer Pro)

It was fairly intuitive and I set it up with a simulated reverb spring.  I cut the unit's internal bass and enhanced the highs using the reverb's internal settings until it worked only on the highs. When I hit a bass note, there is no reverb. When I hit an "S"  or "CH"  it has a wispy sound to it. I like it!  

I found adding in about 5% to 6% reverb  to the mix was about the right subtle touch.  We'll get some reports on it tomorrow.

T

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2010, 07:26:41 PM »

Tom, Do you run any compression. 

I added the DBX 166XL.  It is a compressor and peak limiter. It has a feature so the low end is not compressed. Only the mid and high.  I set it up for 6 to 8 DB of compression. Then used the peak limiter to knock the tops off the scope pattern. This way to save the iron and transmitter. 

Its louder.. I can turn it off and on. But I am not convinced makes me sound better.  Like your sound..

Clark
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2010, 07:44:57 PM »

I gotta see this!

It should be fun.. I am going to put on my Giant AFRO Wig and Plaid Bell bottoms. Grin

Clark
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2010, 09:29:39 PM »

I still want one of those LED flashing callsign badges for my hat, caw mawn.

Clark:

I use the Berhinger 6-band compressor. Really like it for AM - and especially pre-programmed on ssb for its noise gate to mask blower noise.

I'm curious of your reason for not compressing the lows but doing the mids and highs?  

T

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2010, 10:17:36 PM »

Download the DBX manual and have a read. They give you settings for various applications. It was suggested I use this feature so the low end remains unmodified.

In testing, I found that the sound was better to my ears when I did not compress the low end. I had a nice smooth low end with a louder punch.

I guess the thing I cant get past is simple.  Do I sound more HIFI with compression or without.  Maybe I need to take the Eton RXer up to the park and listen to a buddy transmit the king in both modes.

C
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2010, 10:25:15 PM »

Clark,

I can also selectively not compress (or lightly compress) the lows with my 6-band compressor, so will give it a try to see what it sounds like. Tnx for the idea.

As far as hi-fi, I have three setting I use on the fly - one is bypassed compressor, the second is just a slight bit and third is heavy compression. There is a time and place for all three.  The uncompressed  sound is more hi-fi, cuz compression in itself is a form of distortion.  You just need to get a good audio frequency balance without the compressor set up. The compressor tends to even out the various freq levels when used.

T

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015