The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:05:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cross Country shipping carriers  (Read 15177 times)
wx3k
Contributing

Vintage Ham Gear Enthusiast

« on: January 07, 2010, 10:06:42 PM »

A general question......I am considering shipping a 1200 lb transmitter cross country. Any ballpark ideas on what this might work out to ? Anyone every try this ? Yes, a gamble for sure but it is either this or take time off and get this myself which is also costly. <SIGH> The things we do for our hobbies  Roll Eyes

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:13:31 PM »

www.uship.com

try this
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 11:40:50 PM »

For anything like that, I always thought the standard m.o. was to fly to the pickup point, rent a truck or van, load and drive it home. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 02:10:05 PM »

The biggest problem you'll have is finding the correct category for a transmitter.

When I had a transmitter shipped from California that weighed 1500 pounds, the costs ranged from $800.00 to $4000.00 depending who it was and what category they listed it as. My feeling was that most shippers have poorly trained people at the phone quoting rates that don't have a clue. The 800 dollar shipper got the transmitter here without a scratch.

Maybe there's a guy on here that is in the shipping business that can give you the correct information instead of BS like I got. Good luck.  

It came in three boxes, one about 900 pounds and the other two about 350lb  each. 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:50:34 PM »

Take a look at North American Van Lines.  They have an electronic division especially for this type of thing and prices were very reasonable the last time I looked.  They will do door to door pickup and delivery.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:02:34 PM »

A decade or so ago my in-laws gave us their ancient chest type freezer. The thing is huge and weighs hundreds of pounds. The shipping from MA to TN by truck freight was about $50.  I don't know how they managed that.  At the time, I tried to have an old National receiver shipped here (about 70 lbs), and  the best rate I could get using any means possible exceeded $35.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 03:29:07 PM »

I sold the push pull 812a rig to someone on the west coast who found a company (I dont know who) who came to my house and crated it up, a 6 foot rack, big mod iron, two power supplies, tubes and so on.
The guys said they did stuff like the transmitter a lot.

I have no idea what it cost....
Glad I did not have to pay it...

Brett
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 05:31:21 PM »

I had a 3 bay 7ft. high test system that weighed about 700lbs or so shipped from NJ to my work place here in CT that cost about $250.00 to move. That included packing and crating the system.  We used a private hauler to get it up here.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 11:27:21 PM »

It would be nice to know what company this was  Undecided

I sold the push pull 812a rig to someone on the west coast who found a company (I dont know who) who came to my house and crated it up, a 6 foot rack, big mod iron, two power supplies, tubes and so on.
The guys said they did stuff like the transmitter a lot.

I have no idea what it cost....
Glad I did not have to pay it...

Brett

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 12:04:31 AM »

ok, so far...

2400 miles @ 12 mi/gal = 200 gallons
Range of tank about 420 miles which is about 6 tanks of gas
Tank capacity is 35 gallons
Gas @ $2.65 x 200 gals = $535
Truck rental 10 ft with insurance $980
Airfare to fly $135

Total to fly down and drive back with it $1650 not including a couple nights of lodging/meals, etc....

Plus my time taken off from work too(not included)  32 hours driving back one way

Id say about $2000

So at this point, if the shipping is $1000, that is a bargain !

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 12:25:07 AM »

Take a look at North American Van Lines.  They have an electronic division especially for this type of thing and prices were very reasonable the last time I looked.  They will do door to door pickup and delivery.

Yes, look into Northern to transport the heavy stuff. Somewhere a few years back I was reading how someone had a GPT-750 transported thru Northern and they picked it up wrapped it in shrink and packed it on the truck. When they delivered it, all was well and nothing got mangled.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 12:37:43 AM »

ok, so far...

2400 miles @ 12 mi/gal = 200 gallons
Range of tank about 420 miles which is about 6 tanks of gas
Tank capacity is 35 gallons
Gas @ $2.65 x 200 gals = $535
Truck rental 10 ft with insurance $980
Airfare to fly $135

Total to fly down and drive back with it $1650 not including a couple nights of lodging/meals, etc....

Plus my time taken off from work too(not included)  32 hours driving back one way

Id say about $2000

So at this point, if the shipping is $1000, that is a bargain !

Hi Stephanie,

Interesting and thorough cost-benefit analysis with regard to picking up this rig!

Check out the various packing and crating facilties in the general area where the transmitter is located. Most of these operations pack and ship equipment for industry and the military and all kinds of large, fragile electronics gear.

In many urban and suburban areas, these kinds of businesses are fairly common. A little over a year ago, I put up for sale on e-Bay my Collins KWS-1. This is a fairly large and heavy rig. Before listing it, I contacted one of the local packing and crating shops here on Long Island to see if this was the kind of equipment they were capable of handling in the event the buyer required the transmitter be shipped. They indicated it was a very straightforward job, and could pack and crate the thing in three individual crates (plate xfmr to be shipped separately in the third crate) and if need be, arrange for either international shipping, or domestic shipment via truck. The estimated packing and crating charge was very reasonable, and if needed, they could even arrange pick-up at my QTH.

As it turns out, the buyer of the rig arranged to pick it up, so I never had to use the crating and shipping service.

It's certainly worth looking into.

Good luck!

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 08:53:24 AM »

If you can arrange for someone that knows what they are doing to crate it. Truck freight is the best way to go. They charge by hundredweight. usually so much for the initial crate up to several hundred pounds, and then a much smaller amount per 100# above the initial crate.

I had a 400+lb crate of goodies shipped to me for Derb. The freight was something like $125.00!! However the shipper needs to have it pre crated / skidded, and you usually need a loading dock to load & unload it. (commercial shipping)

For a comparison, I had a 105lb plate transformer shipped to me from the same person, we decided to ship it UPS-Ground since it was just 1 item. The shipping was something like $75.00

Truck freight is defiately the way to go, but you need coordination on both ends to make it happen smoothly.

the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 09:59:15 AM »

What about a local mover heading west or a western mover going back from an eastern trip. I didn't see.. or missed where the tranny was going. I had items "humped" on to a moving trip that was already heading north from Florida to Pittsburgh a few years ago.
The new neighbor just came back from California and had her car shipped. She said that the guy was doing it a lot lately....people heading back east for jobs. Not that you want to put it on a car carrier but just the idea that when the movers get here they gotta go back.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 10:06:19 AM »

A couple of thoughts on shipping something like this.  First if they can bring the truck that will haul it to final destination and drop it off then the cost is much less.  Should they have to bring out a smaller truck to retrieve the package to where the big truck is, then it is going to cost extra for that.  Loading the package is entirely up to you.  They will not lift nor place a heavy item on the truck unless, of course, they have the fork lift with them and you will pay more for this.  Expect to pay the same charges if they have to use a small truck at the destination too and they will not unload for you.

Second the way they pay for damage is cents per pound.  So this is not insurance and don't count on it being so no matter if you buy extra coverage from them.  They are very uncooperative about paying for damage.   They are self insured and basic coverage is mandated in federal law as is what they can offer.  The electronics transportation department of North American, (I have seen others that have this type of service) have tools trucks and experience hauling electrons all over the world.  They are trained to do this unlike a normal freight trucking company and will give door to door service at a much lower cost.  

So if it a valuable piece of equipment, buy a separate insurance policy (inexpensive) and use someone who moves  heavy electronic gear.
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 08:40:33 PM »

Shipping charges $1432.04  Shocked fully crated on pallets, currently in transit and bound to be unloaded in my driveway.

A soon to be delivered 1 kw broadcast transmitter in excellent condition with many extra 4-400's - Priceless

I am truly a dedicated AM enthusiast now  Grin

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 09:00:03 PM »

There goes the garage!

Brett
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »

Not my garage....this gets special treatment in my basement. Besides, I need some way to warm up the basement on the weekends :-)

There goes the garage!

Brett

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 09:10:50 PM »

I hope you have a fork lift, (or a helluva work detail for that matter). I helped Phil, K2PG, load up all 4 boxes of his 21E from NJ to Shickshinny, PA one day. When we got to his QTH, and began unloading, a nasty T-storm snuck up. So there we are on the highest peak around for 10 miles lightning, unloading steel boxes. Phil wasn't too physically inept. So it was me Jay, N3WWL, and his buddy that did the unloading. Until Jay's friend sliced his finger on a piece of steel and was out, (I think he required stitches). So Jay and I finished the job. That was one long day that started at 9AM and didn't end until 11PM, (travel to and from excluded).

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 09:19:26 PM »

I've had very good luck with W3SLK express. He does a good job with glass.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 09:24:52 PM »

what's the transmitter?
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 10:02:02 PM »

Well, I have to figure out what to do...I could have paid a little extra to have the transport company uncrate and move the pieces into the basement for me. I may still do this. It is arriving after the weekend so it leaves me without my weekend work detail that I could call up.

I hope you have a fork lift, (or a helluva work detail for that matter). I helped Phil, K2PG, load up all 4 boxes of his 21E from NJ to Shickshinny, PA one day. When we got to his QTH, and began unloading, a nasty T-storm snuck up. So there we are on the highest peak around for 10 miles lightning, unloading steel boxes. Phil wasn't too physically inept. So it was me Jay, N3WWL, and his buddy that did the unloading. Until Jay's friend sliced his finger on a piece of steel and was out, (I think he required stitches). So Jay and I finished the job. That was one long day that started at 9AM and didn't end until 11PM, (travel to and from excluded).

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 10:03:17 PM »

Do I have you sitting on the edge of your seat yet ?  Wink

what's the transmitter?

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 11:02:58 PM »

Frank said:
I've had very good luck with W3SLK express. He does a good job with glass.

Picked up and delivered with a smile.  Cheesy

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015