The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:47:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM Transmitter Rally Final Proposal based on all input - PLEASE COMMENT!  (Read 52956 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 08:07:37 PM »

Steve:
I'll assume you're aware that each time zone will start at a different time. Per your PDF: Start 6:00 AM EST; In CA that means 3 AM. Likewise, ending times will be different for each time zone.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 08:19:27 PM »

Hey Steve, thanks for all the work you have done on this--really stepping up to the plate.

The deadline for January ER was 12/22.  I guess the deadline for Feb. is around 1/22 then?  In Ray's monthly column (Ray is the ER editor) he mentions operating events.  Also, ER has a website.  http://www.ermag.com  I can try getting in touch with Ray.

I think some of us are gg to try 3724 tomorrow night BTW.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 08:59:55 PM »

Steve:
I'll assume you're aware that each time zone will start at a different time. Per your PDF: Start 6:00 AM EST; In CA that means 3 AM. Likewise, ending times will be different for each time zone.

Hi Pete,

Yeah, I thought about that quite a bit, and there was some discussion also.  It seemed reasonable for the whole event to start and stop at the same time.  But, we'll see  Wink  I'm expecting feedback from the event, which might result in changes - and the start/end times may be one of them  Cool

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 09:10:05 PM »

Steve:

Hi Pete,

Yeah, I thought about that quite a bit, and there was some discussion also.  It seemed reasonable for the whole event to start and stop at the same time.  But, we'll see  Wink  I'm expecting feedback from the event, which might result in changes - and the start/end times may be one of them  Cool

It also makes log checking, or any kind of verification, a real work effort since, depending on time zone, everyone will be dancing to a different time. Internationally, some will be done before anyone in the U. S. starts.

KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2010, 09:29:03 PM »

Most contesters and DXers use UTC for logging.

Kind of an obvious reason.

K9PNP

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2010, 09:50:06 PM »

Looks good.  Keep my logs in Zulu [UTC] time; can do whatever conversion to what you need.  Hope I don't get called in to work like happened last 3 "contests" I wanted to operate in.  Will get the flyer out to my contacts, even though most are not AM types.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2010, 10:17:55 PM »

Looks good.  Keep my logs in Zulu [UTC] time; can do whatever conversion to what you need.  Hope I don't get called in to work like happened last 3 "contests" I wanted to operate in.  Will get the flyer out to my contacts, even though most are not AM types.

That can be an issue. Rally starts at 6 AM EST. So, does everyone in every other time zone convert their operating time to EST so that all the submitted logs are in "time agreement". As Bruce pointed out, contests don't use local time. If everyone submits logs in their local time, I'm glad I'm not the log checker.

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2010, 10:25:24 PM »

That can be an issue. Rally starts at 6 AM EST. So, does everyone in every other time zone convert their operating time to EST so that all the submitted logs are in "time agreement". As Bruce pointed out, contests don't use local time. If everyone submits logs in their local time, I'm glad I'm not the log checker.

Right  Shocked   My plan is to write a piece of software to scan logs.....  The actual times don't "really" matter, except for spot checking - which the software will do.  The software will need to know the time zone, although local time was suggested as the preferred format.  We'll see how it works out !   I've written a lot of data parsers over the years, but we'll see how well the data comes in.

Could be interesting !

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KF1Z

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2010, 10:57:33 PM »

Just curious...

If I was to build a QRP  rig for the event....

What is the power level maximum?

5 watts carrier ?  or PEP?

I'm sure it must be 5 watts peak for QRP.

KF1Z

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2010, 11:03:10 PM »

Gee, what a perfect time to collect a page of transmitter pictures!!

We should encourage everyone to send along, with their log, a picture of (at least) their transmitters, and, maybe even themselves.

I think it would be way cool to see everyone's equipment diplayed all in one spot on da web.... ( and I mean radio equipment )  Wink

I know, we can find pics here, and there.... but would be fun to be able to see this stuff all together, wouldn't it?

We could have a "sexiest transmitter" award     Undecided

WA3VJB
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2010, 05:20:36 AM »

Publicity:

http://www.eham.net/articles/23111

If you're registered over there, maybe go post supporting comments.

I added 21425Kc to the frequency table. Seemed odd to omit 15m.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2010, 12:18:43 PM »

I added my input to eHam too.  If a lot of us add helpful assorted tips and tidbits, both operating and technical, it could become an excellent thread. No better publicity (and free!) than a favorable AM-related thread displayed for the wide readership of that website.

Bear in mind that possibly 80%+ of their readers are not currently active AMers and are using transceivers for rigs.  Some may need some extra guidance and TLC to get up and running.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2010, 02:40:04 PM »

Publicity:

http://www.eham.net/articles/23111

If you're registered over there, maybe go post supporting comments.

I added 21425Kc to the frequency table. Seemed odd to omit 15m.

Thanks!  I didn't know the 15 meter frequency!

W1GFH
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2010, 03:07:52 PM »

Just curious...

If I was to build a QRP  rig for the event....

* FBxmtr.jpg (334.4 KB, 500x511 - viewed 745 times.)
Burt
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »

Finally a contest that makes sense
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2010, 11:10:48 AM »

Just curious...

Why would a true AM'er worry about that PEP bullshit?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2010, 11:28:11 AM »

Rob,

good sig last night into WV.

Don, rig is fixed. needed 3 mica caps changed and new finals.
KF1Z

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »

Just curious...

Why would a true AM'er worry about that PEP bullshit?

Huh?

How do you measure power?

IF  you care what your power output is, of course.

KF1Z

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2010, 11:33:20 AM »

Just curious...

If I was to build a QRP  rig for the event....

5 watts carrier ?  or PEP?

Which is exactly why I'd do it!

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2010, 12:19:34 PM »

From a ham's political or rule point of view, PEP can very well be a non-event. But from a technical point of view, AM peak power, pep, studying scope peaks, determining proper phase, etc, (and its derivatives) are very real and mean everything when it comes to properly monitoring and modulating an AM rig....  Depends on your reasons for paying attention to it.  Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2010, 01:30:27 PM »

With a 0-10 amp thermocouple rf ammeter in series with the feedline to the antenna or to the calibrated dummy load.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2010, 02:28:01 PM »

Don,

I'm curious -  I assume you're using I squared R to figure power with the current meters and openwire line?  How do you come up with an accurate "R" to use for the calculation?

Or do you also measure voltage across the line with a floating scope probe and use E X I ?

T

KF1Z

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2010, 02:38:16 PM »

With a 0-10 amp thermocouple rf ammeter in series with the feedline to the antenna or to the calibrated dummy load.

Fine Don,

You measure in amps, and would convert to watts (if you cared to).
I generally measure in volts (into dummy load/with scope) , and convert to watts.

Other than you're method may be more accurate or reliable...

I don't see what is so wrong or "CB-ish" to want to know what my power output is...
Especially if I'm running the higher power rig, and I actually WANT to try and stay within FCC rules, as they are written.  Shocked

KF1Z

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2010, 02:43:20 PM »

Here, check this video out. I rest my case Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jc6tVVpsw

What did that have to do with anything....??

Fine, if you want to call me a CBer.... or not a real AMer...
Whatever... I don't care...

Just because I mention the same term that the FCC uses in conjunction with maximum power output of a transmitter.?

Man.... I don't know....

KF1Z

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2010, 03:05:21 PM »

That I understand....

And hey, I could well be misinformed...   Grin

But, I just plain don't know the "proper" term to replace PEP, I guess...

Or still to find out why Don thinks it's "bullshit".

I've started to go back through some of the past threads to see if I can find a discussion on it... I'm sure there is....

Sorry to have thrown the Rally thread so far off course...

Funny how a simple question can do that sometimes..  Cheesy

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015