The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:59:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heavy Metal Bedlam  (Read 43358 times)
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 10:31:58 AM »

My only suggestion is not to try to do too much in one event,

I agree Jack, Maybe start off with an all out, no holds bared, AM party. Add categories or other contests later.

Mike
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 10:35:11 AM »

I think an AMFone sponsored or coordinated event would be very successful.  The membership here is very large so no problem getting the word out.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 10:53:10 AM »

The organizers of the original Heavy Metal Rally did a really good thing !!  They got the ball rolling.... and like all good snowballs running downhill, they gather MORE snow and get really big, and take on momentum of their own Cool  That's all that's really going on here.

But, Think about this: dozens of simulteanous AM QSOs going on at the same time!  People operating on AM who have never before turned their rice box or SDR to the "AM" position - and loving the good audio "Hey, this AM stuff is nice".  Folks bringing out unusual transmitters that maybe haven't seen the light of RF in years.  Heavy Metal strappers generating pile-ups   Smiley  And a few folks with SDRs recording entire bands for later playback and picking out of unusual items.

One of the "rules" will be that the QSO has to include more than the contact's call and time of the contact. The person's name, actual location, transmitting equipment, and power level will, at minimum, be required.  The idea is to operate and promote AM, and therefore do some real operating, as well as be part of a "Contest", which is really the means to an end anyway (promoting and using AM), and something fun to do, with perhaps a goal to achieve...

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »

That sounds great Steve, How will confirmations work? Will contestants be required to provide proof? I'm wondering out loud. What do real contests require to make sure a log is valid? Dose it matter?

Check your classeradio email.

Mike
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »

I think an AMFone sponsored or coordinated event would be very successful.  The membership here is very large so no problem getting the word out.

I think that is a great idea.  Let me know what we can do.

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 11:37:11 AM »

I think an AMFone sponsored or coordinated event would be very successful.  The membership here is very large so no problem getting the word out.

I think that is a great idea.  Let me know what we can do.
G

Yes, the "AMFONE Rally."

What's cool about this is the "AMFONE" name already says what it's about, so the second part of the contest title can define the event.  Like "AMFONE Jamboree"    "AMFONE Contest"    "AMFONE XXXX"

I like it!

Also, the idea of including and encouraging the contest portion  (along with rag chewing) is good.  This will show the world that AM can also be used for rapid communications, just like CW and ssb.  I was impressed listening to N7UA’s performance the other night. He showed what a well trained DXer can do with good equipment in an AM corntest.

The whole concept is excellent and will do more to promote AM (and AMFONE) in a short weekend than any other technique.  

BTW, the rules should be very specific about AXING if the frequency is in use several times before starting up any AM operations, esp when contesting. Also, we should look to be sure there are no ssb or other QSOs going on at LEAST 5kc either side. Also, should we encourage participation in certain areas of the band? It’s open to discussion if we should recommend certain areas, like 3695 – 3735,  3860 – 3895, etc. This might make it easier – with the option to operate anyway if desired.  I know that many have suggested the regular ssb contests use specific areas to reduce congestion to the overall band. Many things to consider to make this event the best AM event ever.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »

That sounds great Steve, How will confirmations work? Will contestants be required to provide proof? I'm wondering out loud. What do real contests require to make sure a log is valid? Dose it matter?

Check your classeradio email.

Mike

What's wrong with the honor system? Unless there is some sort of prize.  Are we not men! AM'ers!

I suppose if confirming contacts is necessary, logs could be submitted electronically and put into a database or spreadsheet and cross reference the contacts between operators.....

Bob
W1RKW
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »

"What's wrong with the honor system?"

Sounds OK to me.

The claimed winners could post their own (scanned) logs for everyone to see. It would become quite evident if someone was padding the callsigns.  An honor system could work FB with a small event like this and reduce the work load greatly.

BTW, MARCH is the best month for local 75M conditions.  An initial contest around March 21st, marking the first day of Spring, could be a good goal to shoot for - to work out the bugs.

Afterwards, make the event twice a year, just like NearFest.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA3VJB
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2009, 12:41:23 PM »

Yes, the "AMFONE Rally."

What's cool about this is the "AMFONE" name already says what it's about, so the second part of the contest title can define the event.  Like "AMFONE Jamboree"    "AMFONE Contest"    "AMFONE XXXX"

How about:

"AMfone Festival"

??

When spoken, you hear "AM Phone Festival," getting across that it's a phone event on AM.  

I wondered about confusing "hamfest" and "festival," but the full word festival is not used that much.

"AM Festival Station" is a phrase that has seen some use.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2009, 12:53:33 PM »

BTW, MARCH is the best month for local 75M conditions.  An initial contest around March 21st, marking the first day of Spring, could be a good goal to shoot for - to work out the bugs.

Afterwards, make the event twice a year, just like NearFest.

T

That's a good idea.  And NearFest in and of itself sometimes becomes an on air event too.  It would be like having 4 events per year.

Bob
W1RKW
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2009, 12:59:01 PM »

BTW, the rules should be very specific about AXING if the frequency is in use several times before starting up any AM operations, esp when contesting. Also, we should look to be sure there are no ssb or other QSOs going on at LEAST 5kc either side.

I rarely ask if the frequency is in use.  Instead, I carefully listen on frequency, and if I don't hear any activity I make a couple of short "test" transmissions and stand by, announcing that I am listening for anyone on frequency. If the frequency is in use, that allows the other party the opportunity to announce that they are using it, or if someone is just listening, that allows them to answer me before I go to the trouble to call CQ.

The problem I have found with simply asking if the frequency is in use, is that it's too easy for someone in some dead-air group to respond "yes it is" even though no-one has transmitted on the frequency for the past 30 minutes, but by then you have already effectively relinquished the frequency.

As for SSB QSO's off to the side when first starting up, on 160-80-40 where 99% of the slopbucket is on LSB, I try to stay at least 5 or preferably 6 kc below, and 3 kc above when I use the 3400~ low-pass audio filter.  With the wider audio passband, 7 kc below and 5 kc above.  With AM, at least 6 or 7 kc separation on either side is needed.  The 5 kc separation we so often hear on 75 and 160 is not enough.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »

I'm all for a website-sponsored AM QSO party, there seems to be a lot of interest in such a thing. If it's a a contest thing, then there needs to be some consideration to certificates or other prizes. One thing I have found is that AMers are enthusiasts, except for filling out and mailing in logs. So some sort of an online log might be a good idea as well.

As it has been, the Heavy Metal Rally was never intended to be a contest, but a QSO party where the guys with the KW1-s, T-368s, GK 500s, broadcast iron, homebrew, BC-610s, classic gray wrinkle Collins, Western Electric, and legal limit solid state might get them all out on one special evening,  Some of those WE rigs have $5,000 worth of tubes in them. Not something to run every day! Hence the only 'rule' was to qualify for an award (provided by a volunteer) , you need to be running 250 watts of carrier or have a rig weighing in at 250 pounds, and the award was given to that station that folks deemed "best sounding". That would generally be a superior signal, and/or killer audio.  There was never an award based on how many stations were contacted.  Then, some folks became unhappy because they wanted a less subjective measure. Well, the HMR is a beauty contest for AM!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2009, 02:20:44 PM »

Of course, then there's the irony; AM'ers who traditionally  bitched about contesters and contesting, now wanting to have an actual contest.

A look at the "Contest Corral" for each month will give you an idea of the existing contests that are generally run during a month if one was to coordinate a weekend set of dates.  http://www.arrl.org/contests/#corral

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2009, 02:48:21 PM »

Of course, then there's the irony; AM'ers who traditionally  bitched about contesters and contesting, now wanting to have an actual contest.

Just brainstorming here but the event should be informal, fun, relaxing.  And rather than give out bonafide prizes, the prizes should be goofy prizes like an award for the the PW'est signal, longest OBT, etc. along with biggest and best signal, tallest vertical appendage (antenna), etc.  

Bob
W1RKW
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2009, 03:32:48 PM »

Ok, I took a stab at an event [ARMOR ON]   Wink

Here is a link for a nicely formatted .PDF flyer for the event http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.pdf

I included the pain text here also, but the above .PDF is really nice to look at!  Do check it out.  Here is the plain text:

Announcing the 2010

Amplitude Modulation Transmitter Rally
Contest and Operating Event

February xx, 2010
6:00 AM  E.S.T. to 2:00AM  E.S.T. the following day.

Sponsored by:

AMFONE.Net (www.amfone.net) Your definitive source for everything related to AM.

Electric Radio Magazine (www.ermag.com) Dedicated to Vintage Radio and those who love it.

Radio Engineering Associates (www.radioassociates.com) Equipment and services for the professional and radio amateur.

(other sponsors here)

The purpose of this event is to encourage the use of Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands, and to highlight various types of AM equipment in use today.  This event is open to any and all radio amateurs who are running full carrier amplitude modulation (standard AM), and any type of equipment may be used.  

Points are awarded as follows:

a) 1 point for each station worked a specific band.  If you work the same station on more than one band, you get 1 point for each band.

b) 1 point for each state, country or Canadian Province worked.

Note: Both you, are the station with whom you are QSOing must be using AM.

Logging

The following information must be included in your log for each contact to be counted:

Frequency, Time (local time),  Call Sign, First Name, Their Location, Their Equipment

A description of your station equipment, power and any other interesting features should also be included as part of your submission along with your mailing and email addresses.

Whenever possible, please use electronic submission of logs using Excel or CSV (comma separated values) formats.  Email logs to
amtr@radioassociates.com

If you do not own, or cannot use a computer, paper logs may be mailed to:
Steve Cloutier
79 Tyler Road
Townsend, MA 01469

Awards and Prizes will be given for the following areas:

1) Overall highest points:  1st, 2nd and 3rd place

2) Highest number of points using a classic commercial AM Amateur transmitter (such as a KW1, Desk KW, Collins 32V3, DX-100, etc.)

3) Highest number of points using a converted AM Broadcast Transmitter.

4) Highest number of points using a military transmitter.

5) Highest number of points using a home built vacuum tube transmitter (vacuum tubes in the RF amplifier and modulator).

6) Highest number of points using a home built solid state transmitter.

7) Highest number of points using a low level transmitter and linear amplifier.

In addition to point awards, other awards will be issued on an ad-hoc basis, depending on the specific situation.  Examples of these are:
a) Very unusual or unique equipment
b) Most clip leads in the transmitter
c) Most hum or incidental FM
d) Longest transmission heard
e) Highest weight to power ratio
Etc, etc, etc.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2009, 04:01:06 PM »

For Starters:
Classic Exchange 2/14-15
AM QSO Party 2/20-21
DX Contest (CW) 2/20-21
!60 SSB Contest 2/26-28

W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2009, 04:16:01 PM »

Pete what events are going on in November?

G - The INR

SWLR-RNŲ54
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »

It's been a very long time since I messed around with CGI or Perl scripting but I wonder if some sort of online logbook could be devised that provides a CSV format.  I've got the webspace to support it but lack the time and some experience (refreshing) for such an endeavor.

Bob
W1RKW
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2009, 04:58:29 PM »

Steve I take exception to one of your ad-hoc prizes. I think it was item b " the most clip leads"  Cheesy  ? I think that leans in your direction  a little ??!!! I love it.

Anyway

I can set up a "live" board so people can check out where the action is and comment. I too have a large amount of dedicated server space available for any tech stuff we might want to try.

G

G - The INR

SWLR-RNŲ54
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2009, 05:03:43 PM »

Of course, then there's the irony; AM'ers who traditionally  bitched about contesters and contesting, now wanting to have an actual contest.

A look at the "Contest Corral" for each month will give you an idea of the existing contests that are generally run during a month if one was to coordinate a weekend set of dates.  http://www.arrl.org/contests/#corral

There are "contests" and there are CONTESTS.   In the AM world, a so-called "contest" would be something along the lines of Straight Key Night.   That is due I think to the collective AMer mentality, which I characterize as being collaborative, social, collegial, and team-spirited.  Look at how everyone tries to share their toys (components).  The loner ego-maniac personality who wants to hide away and build a huge station-bomb and score all the points to be the king of the band doesn't seem to fit in the AM community.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2009, 05:11:10 PM »

<<<Ok, I took a stab at an event [ARMOR ON]  >>>

Excellent Steve!   Thanks for getting this started!

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2009, 05:26:14 PM »

There are "contests" and there are CONTESTS.   In the AM world, a so-called "contest" would be something along the lines of Straight Key Night.   That is due I think to the collective AMer mentality, which I characterize as being collaborative, social, collegial, and team-spirited.  Look at how everyone tries to share their toys (components).  The loner ego-maniac personality who wants to hide away and build a huge station-bomb and score all the points to be the king of the band doesn't seem to fit in the AM community.

Rob,
I think you nailed it square and concisely in comparison to my verbose postings.

Bob
W1RKW
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »

It's been a very long time since I messed around with CGI or Perl scripting but I wonder if some sort of online logbook could be devised that provides a CSV format.  I've got the webspace to support it but lack the time and some experience (refreshing) for such an endeavor.

I know for myself, when I operated the Rally last year (and sent in a log), I kept a paper log in the shack, and they typed it into excel, and ultimately mailed the excel file to the folks at E.R.

That seemed to work out very well, and I know a lot of people have Excel and native Excel is fine.  For anyone using a Mac, OpenOffice or other systems where "real" excel is not available, saving the log files to .CSV (which all spreadsheet types of programs will do) works out.  I can read .CSV files no problem.  I may even do everything in .CSV, and write some software to cross-check logs for some spot verification.

Anyway, just some thoughts!

Regards,

Steve

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2009, 05:29:14 PM »

I can set up a "live" board so people can check out where the action is and comment. I too have a large amount of dedicated server space available for any tech stuff we might want to try.

G

G,
Can you setup a live logbook in csv format where ops can post contacts?

Steve,
We must have posted and had the same thought process going at the same time. I like the idea.  Maybe we can collaborate.

Bob
W1RKW
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2009, 05:36:49 PM »

Pete what events are going on in November?

Those that come mind without looking at Contest Corral include Sweepstakes - 2 different weekends -phone & CW, CQ World-wide CW, and a bunch of other "less-known" (depending on how far you look beyond the AM mode).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015