The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:18:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YouTube didn't like my comments  (Read 35848 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 09:41:15 PM »

The station was OK, but there is alot of stuff there that would work better if built rather than bought, and did not have to be forced to conform, or force the station to conform to available doo-dads. It looks more like a ham radio dealer test room, that is, there is no personality to it. I would be very bored except for wanting to see the wiring prints. He did say he asks if people want to come operate, but they don't. I suppose, where is the challenge when all you have to do is push a button. Like ALE. Or they might be intimidated. I like all band.. VHF is cool.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 11:07:36 PM »

Kind of funny.  I have always admired W0YVA's restoration work.  He did a fantastic job on an HT20.  I imagine someone could have a good time photographing my place from a few carefully chosen vantage points.   I've seen some of those 10,000 rigs in a car or SUV at Dayton.  There used to be a website by hams that poked fun at the hobby by holding up these extreme cases for entertainment.  www.hamsexy.com but I guess they let the domain registration lapse because it's gone now.   They'd go to Dayton and take photos of these crazy rig jam packed cars and guys wearing metal hard hats with mag mount antennas on them, then put them up on hamsexy.com. 

A few years ago the Wall St. Journal did a front page story on ham radio.  They sent a reporter up to ARRL Hq. and she interviewed someone there.  Whoever it was, he took the reporter out to his car and they drove around while he operated cw mobile by tapping out code on a key strapped to his leg.  From a PR standpoint I thought that was about the most clueless thing ARRL could do.  Yeah we're normal people, we drive around sending and receiving telegraph code in our cars with cw keys.   

The Hamsexy website seems to be gone but there is a Hamsexy Facebook group for friends of Hamsexy with over 300 members and quite a few pictures.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2009, 11:58:45 PM »

The Electric Porcupine!

As for it being faintly embarassing, my friends and my colleagues at work do not think it is so silly because they dang well know I build and repair whatever I wish, something many have not learned how to do. I am always being asked technical questions and radio is only a part of it. I try to be a good example. Sometimes I fail but mostly I succeed.
(BTW it is always good when a design engineer at a prospective customer is a ham too)

Part of people respecting ham radio is when they understand that the better operators are accomplished across the several necessary disciplines required by the radio art today, not the oft portrayed narrowly focused nerds stuck in some hellish handy-talkie and orange vest paradigm with official tunnel vision.

With this in mind, that guy's station is impressive to non-hams, but would be even more so if he had a more linear layout and less obvious dark clutter. More like a brightly lit TOC or NCS with at least two or three really obvious positions and less like a crammed cubby hole with some gear two layers deep (notice the leenyar?) where the second chair seems to be for watching to too-obvious chicks on the big screen. I would have at least put local radar on it. On the other hand, he is apparently a corntester, and so, the cubby hole is what may work best for him. The bright side is that he is keeping the radio dealers in business. And it might be a place to hide from the XYL.

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2009, 11:33:10 AM »

Build a real HAM radio car Grin

Like the Cadaverlac!  Now that is a real classy mobile rig!  BIG TUBES!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
WA3VJB
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 10:10:40 AM »

Just to clearly answer the question, Don, it probably was not "YouTube" the website that deleted your remarks.

When you, as an account holder, post a video on YouTube you can set whether people can comment and/or post "reply videos."  The account holder can further delete or reply to comments made.

Administrators at YouTube step in only when someone flags or otherwise "reports" a video they deem objectionable, or when someone claims a posting violates copyright.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 10:35:08 AM »

I guess the guy is pretty thin-skinned to feel he has to delete any comment that offers anything other than envy and praise for his appliance collection. What's the point of having a comment section if the originator can delete those that he doesn't like? Wouldn't that be just like setting up this forum so that the originator of a thread could select the replies he wants to appear in response, and delete the rest?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2009, 12:12:23 PM »

Wouldn't that be just like setting up this forum so that the originator of a thread could select the replies he wants to appear in response, and delete the rest?

I like that. How many times has a poster posted a specific query or problem needing to be solved and then having the thread wander all over the place and, either not addressing the problem, or having it buried in a ton of other threads that have no relevance to his/her original posting.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »

I have been on forums since the early 90s.  Thats the way of the land.  We get to talking and the post heads off..  No big deal

C
AB3FL
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2009, 11:05:34 PM »

I wonder if he can "dip and load"  Shocked

tom - AB3FL
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2009, 11:28:23 PM »

With this in mind, that guy's station is impressive to non-hams, but would be even more so if he had a more linear layout and less obvious dark clutter.

Really!!!

It would only be impressive if the car were full of dynamotors and a lot of BC348's and ART13's with all of the accessories like auto-tune instead of being filled with overpriced plastic junk.

Build a real HAM radio car Grin

I'm referring to the radio car and not the YouTube station.

I was referring to the youtube guy again. Maybe they should get together.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2009, 02:27:05 AM »

I have been on forums since the early 90s.  Thats the way of the land.  We get to talking and the post heads off..  No big deal

C

I might be a "big deal" if you're the original poster with a specific issue that you would like to solve and you come here hoping for some useful input. There's probably nothing more frustrating to a poster, bringing up an issue topic, only to have the thread discussion wander away from the original point. It's even more frustrating, if 25 or 30 posts later, someone has some relevant information, but by that time, the original poster has moved on. It wouldn't be the first time a poster has posed a question/issue here, and then returning later, only to find thread ramblings that might only be remotely connected, if at all, to his original posting. It also wouldn't be first time that I've seen, after this experience, the poster posting the same issue in another forum. Sometimes a bit of common sense before making a post goes a long way towards some consideration for the original poster.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w1vtp

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2009, 10:04:43 AM »

Like the Cadaverlac!  Now that is a real classy mobile rig!  BIG TUBES!

Is that thing still on the road?

I dont think so.  It needs a lot of work to get it back on the road.  That's my recollection.

Al
Art
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »

".S. What does this have to do with the YouTube video?"

It was Peteys way of demonstrating how a thread can be diverted off topic. . . .
W3LSN

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2009, 02:55:37 PM »

There used to be a website by hams that poked fun at the hobby by holding up these extreme cases for entertainment.  www.hamsexy.com but I guess they let the domain registration lapse because it's gone now.   They'd go to Dayton and take photos of these crazy rig jam packed cars and guys wearing metal hard hats with mag mount antennas on them, then put them up on hamsexy.com. 

Hamsexy.com is still there and as sarcastic as ever.

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »

I liked the dual Heil microphoniums and the glowing stage mic.
A very visual type of shack.........maybe an RFOOLE
Seems big into VHF and above.
Must have a lot of money$$$

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 03:34:08 PM »

Actually a very impressive set-up.  Not everyone is in to home-brewing or restoring old gear, etc.  Besides that...the one that dies with the most toys wins!  Shocked Grin

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2009, 06:02:47 PM »

Hamsexy.com is still there and as sarcastic as ever.

Yep, they are back up.  Their server must  have been down or something. 

Or perhaps they got hacked.  I suspect that sight is as much a lightning rod as is a strapping AM signal on 75.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015