The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 01:41:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YouTube didn't like my comments  (Read 35890 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: December 18, 2009, 05:12:07 PM »

I played this video yesterday.  I have an account with You Tube, so I entered my username and password, and submitted a comment.  I basically said that the guy has an impressive pile of store-bought gear that he paid a lot of money for (or charged to his credit card), but this clearly demonstrates what is wrong with ham radio to-day. In all that array of gear there is not a single piece of radio equipment that he built himself - not even an antenna.  He just bought a bunch of stuff and connected it all together.  Hams have evolved into communicators/consumers, no longer builders/tinkerers/experimenters.

The comment appeared in the comments section, but a few hours  later when I checked to see if anyone had responded, the comment had been removed. But I notice the one about the Cobra and Midland is still there.

I suppose YouTube is like any other message board; moderators can remove anything as they see fit, for any reason.  The guy must not tolerate it very well when someone expresses anything other than adoration for his excesses and his ego. 

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N0WVA

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »

I could be wrong, but I thought members could delete messages themselves.

I agree with your post,though.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 06:13:06 PM »

Don,
It's not YouTube it's the one who posted the video. I had the same thing happen to me when I commented how cber's waste their money on key-downs and suburbans with 5 high power altternators to generate jusice for their 5KW transmitters.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K9ACT
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 06:45:01 PM »

Never believe what you read on the net or watch on TV. It’s only somebody’s own personal opinion.

That's a pretty big "NEVER".

Darwin, Einstein and Jefferson had "opinions" that would have been dangerous to ignore.

The mark of educated and civilized people is the ability to sort the wheat from the chaff.  The internet is a goldmine of useful information but it takes intelligence to find it.

TV on the other hand is a wasteland.  There may be some useful info out there but it's not worth the energy to find it.

js
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 07:51:07 PM »

The mark of educated and civilized people is the ability to sort the wheat from the chaff. 
js

You are correct Jack, the problem is that many of the "educated" have a lack of knowledge or slanted information in many departments. 
KC4VWU

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 08:25:19 PM »

I agree Don. However, I made the mistake of making the comment elsewhere about the insane prices that some people pay for equipment and d@mn near got tarred and feathered over it. So now, I just bite my tounge and enjoy what I have and let the others worry about what they have. I'm just glad that, for me at least, the questions of "why?" or "how?" equipment works is as much or more fun than just "buy it" and/or "use it".

Phil
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 08:39:35 PM »

<<<know the part about the right to bare arms?>>>

I bare my arms all the time in spring and summer  Grin Grin

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 08:59:58 PM »

I wonder if this guy knows he can change frequencies on each unit instead of having a separate radio for each band???

A case me thinks of an applicance operator having more money (or credit card debt) than common sense. Roll Eyes

This reminds me of the Direct Buy commercial where this Tony Gillotta introduces his Trophy Wife and then they show all of this expensive, overpriced furniture. Huh

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
WQ9E

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »

I'm just glad that, for me at least, the questions of "why?" or "how?" equipment works is as much or more fun than just "buy it" and/or "use it".

Phil

Phil,

You have an excellent attitude.  I spend more time on the bench than I do on the air although I usually have a receiver going to listen in on a QSO while I am working. 

I enjoy returning gear to operational status and I do want to spend more time building also.  I am about 6 years away from retirement and then I plan to catch up.

I have a friend who does woodworking and he has tons of tools, jigs, and gadgets in his shop and everything is spotless-not because he cleans all the time but because he uses his shop maybe 2 days a year.  He loves buying tools and finding storage for them but never uses them.  I have a lot of radios but I rotate my operation of them so that they all get their fair share of air time.

Rodger

Rodger WQ9E
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:16:06 PM »

I think he is a relatively new ham who is currently into contesting and operating above 50 MHz.   He has obviously gotten into the ham game with a lot of enthusiasm judging by the $$$ he's spent.  I certainly don't want to dampen his enthusiasm but I hope maybe one day he'll look around at all his stuff and realize that if anything broke he'd be totally dependent on some professional shop out there somewhere, and not like that feeling.   I didn't see any test equipment in the video; no oscilloscope for example.  After something breaks maybe he'll develop an interest in tubes and black wrinkle paint hi hi.   That's what happened to me.  All those black plastic boxes, when they break, you find yourself looking at little teeny tiny things on double sided boards and you have no idea what you're looking at and vaguely how it all works.  Manuals?   The JA gear is all covered in two or three separate manuals each, and the service manuals, if you can get them, are a pain to figure out.    The parts are all either teeny tiny or huge black slabs with 100 wires coming out of them.     Hello boatanchor.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 09:22:29 PM »

You have an excellent attitude.  I spend more time on the bench than I do on the air although I usually have a receiver going to listen in on a QSO while I am working. 

Some of my best ham time is in the basement at my "bench" (my washing machine with a wood slab on top of it) smelling hot rosin solder and working on some project and listening to a QSO on a rig piped to a speaker over on the other side of the basement.   To me that's ham heaven.

VE3GZB

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 10:24:25 PM »

I played this video I basically said that the guy has an impressive pile of store-bought gear that he paid a lot of money for (or charged to his credit card), but this clearly demonstrates what is wrong with ham radio to-day. In all that array of gear there is not a single piece of radio equipment that he built himself - not even an antenna.  He just bought a bunch of stuff and connected it all together.  Hams have evolved into communicators/consumers, no longer builders/tinkerers/experimenters.

That's why I despise computers....the sad irony, I'm writing this via a computer.

Guess I should clarify - I hate the culture which has evolved around the social use of the computer.

Today kids don't have the chances to build, to salvage and rip apart old TVs for their components to be reused in a home project. That's how kids would grow up to be engineers, inventors, repairmen!

What do kids do today? I watch what the kids do for hobbies here and even among many adults I know today, their hobby becomes tapping at keys, playing games, goofing off on Twitter or Facebook, or being digital pirates with music, movies, etc... things much worse too. It's affected the culture which kids grow up in, and in my opinion, it's not a positive effect.

And heaven help if you try to teach or show them something different, like building your own stuff from scratch? Most of them, they just roll their eyes mockingly. Only a rare few show any glimmer of interest.

Some of my best ham time is in the basement at my "bench" (my washing machine with a wood slab on top of it) smelling hot rosin solder and working on some project and listening to a QSO on a rig piped to a speaker over on the other side of the basement.   To me that's ham heaven.

4-5 hours can just fly by and it'll only feel like 45 min to me when I'm working on some circuit, got the soldering irons hot (I have 3 sizes, one small, one 260Watt Weller gun I got for Xmas last year, and one big one from the 40s that will solder to copper pipe while there's still water in the pipe), the scope and the radios are on and the power supplies are toasty warm!

73s
geo
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 08:40:02 AM »

Ehhhh, That's the one thing that's good about a hobby like amateur radio. You don't need to know which end of a slobbering iron to hold to enjoy this hobby. Some operators are just plug and play. Me personally, like everyone else here, I like to dig in and learn the electrical/electronics side with the older gear. The corntester in that video needs to get himself a much larger area to operate however. He obviously spent a ton of cash, but yet, keeps it all stacked up like cord wood.

I want to put that dish pictured at the end of the vid right on the roof of my house just to piss off the entire neighborhood.

Link
http://www.petesias.com/ham_radio.htm

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
w1vtp

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 08:51:31 AM »

Don

There you have it: the classic Appliance Operator with LOADS OF $$$$$.  No hard feelings on my part but it certainly is not my idea of "fun."

I do think it was small of whomever deleted your comments - free speech not withstanding.

Al
K9ACT
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 09:14:58 AM »

Unfortunately, he seems to have run out of money when it came to a tripod.

As a one time film maker, I have a very low tolerance for unedited footage that looks like a garden hose being squirted around.

js
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 09:21:03 AM »

Unfortunately, he seems to have run out of money when it came to a tripod.

As a one time film maker, I have a very low tolerance for unedited footage that looks like a garden hose being squirted around.

js

This is true. I start to get a headache watching amateur crap like that for too long. Reminds me of the japanese super fast zoom in/zoom out technique.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 12:28:08 PM »

All that equipment being advertised on Youtube makes for a perfect target for the unscrupulous.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 01:32:01 PM »

Loved the setup but he is missing a Flex rig. Doesn't look any different then some guy who has wall to wall/floor to ceiling boatanchor rigs stacked and/or lined up and there are lots of them around.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 01:47:58 PM »

Guess I should clarify - I hate the culture which has evolved around the social use of the computer.
Today kids don't have the chances to build, to salvage and rip apart old TVs for their components to be reused in a home project. That's how kids would grow up to be engineers, inventors, repairmen!

I disagree, this is how network engineers and IT professionals are made.
kids today rip apart computers, install motherboards, build ip networks, homebrew linux webservers, map ports on routers, install operating systems, share out music.
they also have the ability to communicate with more people than you ever could on ham radio.
all this is done without the need for testing and a government license, which allows more kids to get involved.

that little nerdy kid with the thick glasses will someday be the person keeping that highspeed fiber network coming into your home, delivering everything from voice, data and movies/entertainment/news
kg8lb
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »

The mark of educated and civilized people is the ability to sort the wheat from the chaff.  
js

You are correct Jack, the problem is that many of the "educated" have a lack of knowledge or slanted information in many departments.  

As well as willing manipulation, censorship of conflicting opinion etc. Witness the "Global Warming" e-mail expose'.

Education is merely synthetic experience , often slanted and flavored to suit the "educator's" agenda or the message they are directed to support. Of course the mass media employs the same tactics for much the same reason. IE model rocket engines igniting over-filled Chevy truck's gas tanks with loose caps on trucks that are hit at twice the recorded speed . A little feat NBC almost got away with.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 05:24:16 PM »

Wow..

I wonder if he is using all GFI outlets.

C
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 07:00:37 PM »

I wonder if it is a zero-land thing.  Check these out.

Unfortunately, this is the image of ham radio that will be left with a lot of web surfers who happen on to that site.
No wonder ham radio has been described as "faintly embarrassing".

http://wa0kgu.110mb.com/

Check out the interior of the car

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 08:23:56 PM »

Kind of funny.  I have always admired W0YVA's restoration work.  He did a fantastic job on an HT20.  I imagine someone could have a good time photographing my place from a few carefully chosen vantage points.   I've seen some of those 10,000 rigs in a car or SUV at Dayton.  There used to be a website by hams that poked fun at the hobby by holding up these extreme cases for entertainment.  www.hamsexy.com but I guess they let the domain registration lapse because it's gone now.   They'd go to Dayton and take photos of these crazy rig jam packed cars and guys wearing metal hard hats with mag mount antennas on them, then put them up on hamsexy.com. 

A few years ago the Wall St. Journal did a front page story on ham radio.  They sent a reporter up to ARRL Hq. and she interviewed someone there.  Whoever it was, he took the reporter out to his car and they drove around while he operated cw mobile by tapping out code on a key strapped to his leg.  From a PR standpoint I thought that was about the most clueless thing ARRL could do.  Yeah we're normal people, we drive around sending and receiving telegraph code in our cars with cw keys.   

WQ9E

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 08:36:08 PM »

A few years ago the Wall St. Journal did a front page story on ham radio.  They sent a reporter up to ARRL Hq. and she interviewed someone there.  Whoever it was, he took the reporter out to his car and they drove around while he operated cw mobile by tapping out code on a key strapped to his leg.  From a PR standpoint I thought that was about the most clueless thing ARRL could do.  Yeah we're normal people, we drive around sending and receiving telegraph code in our cars with cw keys.   

Rob,

The staffer was just trying to indicate that he was in the minority that didn't like licensing going code free  Smiley

W0YVA has done some incredible work and his Signal One newsletters have been extremely helpful to me in working through my CX-7B

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 09:08:03 PM »

All I can say is different strokes for different folks.

Everyone has different interests, whether related to this wonderful hobby of ours, or a hobby or interest completely unrelated to amateur radio.

I think it may be a bit unfair for any of us to be judgemental with respect to those interested in purchasing the latest state-of-the-art radio gear and connecting it all together via a LAN within the shack, operating VHF, etc. OK, this fellow's particular interest in the hobby is very probably something none of the members of this board would practice. By the same token, the ham shown in the YouTube video may very well view our aspect of the hobby as being provincial, retro-tech, and not related to his desire to utilize the latest technology equipment and integrating it all together.

Personally, I was impressed by his station.

You get the picture.

Just my 2 cents.

As the ancient Greeks would have said, "there is no accounting for taste".

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015