The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:54:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-950SD AM  (Read 5467 times)
AB3FL
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:02:17 AM »

I am not quite sure if this is how it is supposed to work. When I switch to AM
mode, the monitor level is lower and it seems that the highs are attenuated. I
unplugged the DSP connectors and this does nto happen. Is there an alignment
somewhere that may be off, or is this proper operation.

thanks

tom - AB3FL
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 02:58:54 PM »

Manuals are a good thing!

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
AB3FL
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 03:14:55 PM »

I have the manuals.  I just want to know from soemone who owns one if they see this also

tom - AB3FL
kc6mcw
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 01:53:02 AM »

The DSP is great! But only for SSB. You see, when the DSP is in line, the audio frequency cutoff is 3.1 khz. Thats ok for SSB but bad for AM. To get the best of both worlds using this radio, you'll need to install a switch to turn the DSP on and off. On SSB, the radio internal 455 khz SSB filter is bypassed and the DSP generates the 455 khz modulated signal at 3.1 khz audio bandwidth with superior opposite SSB rejection. It also generates the 455 khz signal in FM mode. In AM mode, the 455 khz carrier signal is generated by the radio, and the audio that modulates that carrier comes from the DSP. No good. Kenwood did not provide a way to switch the DSP on and off. You have to unplug the two DSP connectors while the radio is off. Then turn it back on and then use the AM mode. Without the DSP, the mic audio circuit drives the balanced modulator directly. Without any audio mods, the audio bandwidth would be around 5 or 6 khz wide. The Kenwood TS-950S and SD are great for AM and SSB modes. The TS-950SDX however, sucks for AM users. This is because the DSP is used in all modes. Kenwood left out the balanced modulator section completely!  I own the 950SD. I like this radio. I run rack audio with tons of mods and getting audio out to 9Khz on AM. My SSB is limited to 3.1khz using the DSP.
AB3FL
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 07:30:14 AM »

THANKS!   that is exactly what I wanted to hear(well sortof).  I now know that the rig is working properly.  I will have to look at the schematics and see if there is a way to enable/disable the DSP

Tom - AB3FL
kc6mcw
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 10:17:41 AM »

I learned two ways to do this.  One is to simply unplug both plugs to take the DSP out of line for AM use. Then plug it back in for SSB use. The second approach would be to install a switch. I decided on the switch. You'll do this by switching the "small red wire" on the bottom plug. But you must remember, in order for this to work, always switch it when the radio is OFF! This is because of how the digital circuitry works. If you switch it while the radio is on, the gate array in the DSP will not obey "the new data command stream" and then simply disregards it. You see, the gate array recieves its operating commands upon radio start up. If the DSP is pluged in, the radio cpu "sees" this. And then sends the proper data stream to the DSP to turn on. So, if you leave it pluged in but switch the red wire off WHILE the radio is still on, the DSP will still be on. by switching off the red wire first and THEN turn the radio on, the radio cpu never sees the DSP in the first place and simply directs all the mic audio to the balanced modulator. Cool huh? BTW, this radio performs VERY well in AM mode when you bypass the first mic preamp circuit.  I bring in my rack audio via balanced XLR line to a balanced to unbalanced impedance transformer which sits inside the radio. This transformer then feeds the balanced modulator through a capacitor and resistor. You will also need to turn your filters OFF on transmit for full fidelity audio. To do this, while radio is off, hold both 8.83 + RIT buttons, then turn radio on. Both 8.83 MHz and 455 kHz IF Filters are now selectable on transmit. Each memory channel is also capable of storing this setting. Also, you'll need to open up the radio and remove one the 455 khz filters and put a jumper across it. Then plug it back in. I chose to jump the cw filter. So on AM mode, simply select this cw filter. This will open up the TX audio bandwidth big time. Using SSB with the DSP does not use these filters. Now the only area that will govern the transmit audio bandwidth is the 8.83 mhz filter section. This is why you will select "none" on the 8.83 filter button. Then what does it use? It sends everything through the FM 12 khz coil and capacitor filter! This is way cool. Im telling you, these are one of the best rice boxes out there for AM! I feel sorry for the TS-950SDX guys out there. But hey, they still bring a good dollar on Ebay though! Smiley

Joe Townsley

* dsp switch.jpg (320.65 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 485 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015