The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:40:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectrum Analyzer?  (Read 22040 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2009, 12:45:02 PM »

I think it was a flex plan to use hams as testers so they could get into the mil. market.
HPSDR all interconnects are external out the back. I put a switch and neon bulb on the front panel but the chassis is turned around backwards right now.
I mounted Lamda linear supplies in my chassis.
Direct sample adding receivers is just more softtware.
It seems a waste to use a Tayloe/DDS when it could be replaced with an A/D and FPGA doing DDC
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2009, 04:03:46 PM »

Pretty much right Francois.
..and wait 'till the beast comes along that runs 24 bit with no overload until 100 dbm with a clock running 10Ghz.  It's only a matter of time.

Phil's board is now 16 bit, 9 to 10dbm, 125Mhz.
Persus is 14 bit.

These h'ain't no sound card limited ADC's.

RICK  *W3RSW*
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 08:41:29 PM »

Well, the holiday season is getting near. Time to think about purchasing a Christmas gift for the shack.

But I don't look forward to having to endure that horrible music they will be playing over and over and over and over in every retail outlet for the next 6 weeks.

Bah humbug!

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »

it's meant to be listened to after drinking the boozed-up egg nog.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WV Hoopie
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 09:50:03 PM »

Well, the holiday season is getting near. Time to think about purchasing a Christmas gift for the shack.

But I don't look forward to having to endure that horrible music they will be playing over and over and over and over in every retail outlet for the next 6 weeks.

Bah humbug!

Well Don, I was doing just fine until being reminded about the music.

Thanks Grin
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2009, 12:27:39 PM »

I find that having to listen to that crap on the music radio stations I usually like to be even worse; especially without a remote to kill the audio.

The alternative of listening to talk or sports radio all that time is almost as bad Roll Eyes

Carl
KM1H
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2009, 12:53:15 PM »

I find that having to listen to that crap on the music radio stations I usually like to be even worse; especially without a remote to kill the audio.

The alternative of listening to talk or sports radio all that time is almost as bad Roll Eyes

Carl
KM1H

What's wrong with talk radio?  I MUCH prefer listening to the talk radio that happens from 1.8 mhz to 30 mhz to ANYTHING below 1.8, tho Smiley  That talk radio is just MUSH.

--Shaen
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2009, 01:21:43 PM »

I agree Shane.  I like talk radio. I am listening to talk radio right now on 40 meters. 

Clark
WA1GFZ

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2009, 09:53:43 AM »

Rick,
QSR1 and HPSDR use the same A/D but HPSDR used the preamp that came later. This dropped the MDS lower than QSR1 but also the saturation point by 20 dB. HPSDR has a relay controlled 20 db pad at the input to shift the operating range equal to QSR1. Perseus came first and the 14 bit A/D was the hot rod part then.
LT has a 170 MHz 16 bit A/D and hope to make a 250 MHz part in the future. The 170 MHz part is pin for pin with the  130 MHz part but then the FPGA needs to be faster to support the data flow. I can just imagine the parts the mil guy are using in those nice gold plated hybrids.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 11:30:10 AM »

Frank,

Thanks for info. I wonder when Phil will 'finish' (if ever) his QS1R with the promised RFFE (front end board with two stage preamp, bandpass filters, and attenuators along with add'l control buttons on some version of SDRMax)?

No definite replies to several others' queries about this on the Yahoo board. He's probably bogged down just keeping up with QS1R orders.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WA1GFZ

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2009, 11:42:04 AM »

Rick,
The problem is cost. HPSDR at TAPR is having a real problem keeping the cost down for two boards for the TX LP and RX HP. All those little relays run into some real money. Then there is the 30 or so inductors required. I think it will cost as much as the RX and TX boards combined. I was hoping for a tighter preselector but that would have even cost more. 
WV Hoopie
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2009, 06:02:40 PM »

Other than being a real boatanchor and a cause of hernias, anyone played with a HP 8568B?  Still window shopping.

Craig,
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2009, 10:48:19 AM »

Used them and the sister unit 8566 for many years. These units were probably the peak in analog based swept-tuned spectrum analyzers.

Other than being a real boatanchor and a cause of hernias, anyone played with a HP 8568B?  Still window shopping.

Craig,
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2009, 10:56:43 AM »

I love my HP8590 series.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2009, 08:53:53 PM »

Try this one:  http://www.science-workshop.com/  the poor mans spectrum analyzer. 

Kit built and reasonably priced. Seems like a good deal for a brand new spec analyzer although it won't have the bells and whistles a HP or Rhoades  & Schwarts will.

Not affiliated or anything etc etc.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015