The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:49:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I gotta teardown to build back up  (Read 9904 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: November 22, 2009, 12:51:22 AM »

I got this stuff on the bench. it's too the point where I'm just shifting things around from one place to another and back again. I gotz no where to put it all. I cant move my chair without crashing into something.  Tongue

Gonna take a couple of days and see what I can do about all this clutter before I build or fix more stuff. I've got to get more actual storage space where I can put things to be worked on away instead of just splayed all over everything.

* P1020239.jpg (253.33 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 728 times.)

* P1020240.jpg (243.21 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 692 times.)
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 01:20:45 AM »

Well derb, if it's any consolation, it looks more organized than my bench. Grin

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 01:22:46 AM »

That's just the way it is.  I've given up on mine ever getting any better.

Just as nature abhors a vacuum, nature abhors a flat surface.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 05:07:08 AM »

I worked on it for about 6 hours today total. made a dent in it anyways. all the meters are stashed, and I found a big drawer organizer box for items like small transformers that wont fit into the small parts bins. the top shelf is all clean now.

when I get the two big racks and the furniture in the right spots later this morning I'll snap a new pic.

all his crap has to be done now, it'll be 3 times as hard after I get the gear into final positions.

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 05:12:03 AM »

I........................ the top shelf is all clean now.

Take a picture!!! It doesn't stay that way very long!

AMI#1684
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 08:58:16 AM »

The key is to put all those parts into Rigs Smiley 

Actually, Don is right, it's entropy at work.  Ya can't fight the law.. of physics anyway.

As we used to say at work, A clean bench is a sign of someone who doesn't work.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 09:51:14 AM »

ok, I got the matchbox apart - gonna find out how to fix the swr meter so it works when high power is applied same as it does when running low power. then rearrange the table and the racks. Then re-install ground buss system the way it was 2 months ago before everything got messed up.

Then get the Derb-0-Phone re-installed and on the air for good. then I got a 5-125b tx to build and 2 receivers to fix. nothing to it.  Roll Eyes

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 10:13:55 AM »

Steve, QIX would be proud of you Tim

Phred

Fred KC4MOP
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 10:35:05 AM »

Derb your success will be determined by how many layers of work you have on the bench.  I suggest you cut a piece of plywood to fit over the bench with you finish a project then place the plywood over what remains then use that to start a new project.  Then do it as many times as needed.

The person with the most layers wins.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 08:03:20 AM »

What I've noticed over the years is that every time I get the sahck claned up, a new project seems to just jump into my mind.  No getting away from it. Only a totally trashed bench/room/house seems to prevent project sprouting. 

Once the shack is totally trashed, the yard outside, TV, wifey time, anything else, suddenly take on great importance.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KD3CN
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 08:46:22 AM »

My workbench has a spot right in front that stays clear enough to keep the work going during active construction/repair.  As the mess on the bench around it gets deeper and deeper with parts, tools, etc it gets harder to work, until I finally realize it's taking me a couple of minutes just to find the coil of solder or a tool.  With each job finished the mess gets cleaned up, and extra parts go in boxes.  The number of boxes is getting pretty big...

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 09:03:06 AM »

got all the meters put away, and all the transformers smaller than 20 watt size, and all the tubes. Got to go by Radio Shack and get some super mushroom velcro to stick a new wall wart PS to the bottom of the Derb-0-phone chassis, and we can start setting the station back up.  Cool

looks better.
wb1aij
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 10:07:35 AM »

I haven't SEEN my bench in a few years; but I have to believe it is under the huge pile of STUFF that is in one corner of my cellar. Wouldn't it be something if I ever attempted to dig it out & it wasn't there when I got to the bottom of the STUFF?

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 12:26:08 PM »

I can't see my bench, but not because of my projects.  The XYL bought a LARGE peice of furniture (entertainment stand) that she is "Making a Spot" for....  Sad  So I can sort of see the parts and tools, but the only ones who can get at them are the cats!!! 
 Oh well, maybe she is trying to tell me something?Huh? Shocked

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 04:57:53 PM »

Derb,
You need a parts storage area seperate from your workshop.  Only keep the stuff in your workshop that your currently working on.  I now have a 12' x 24' radio parts building thats out back and its great. It allows all the parts to stay organized and keeps the clutter out of the work shop.  Before that move my shop was a terrible mess most of the time.   
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 09:01:41 PM »

me and my wife share the garage, she likes to make beaded jewelry. I would say shes got 60% of the space and I have 40% at best.  Tongue

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 09:03:47 AM »

Derb, the only thing I see missing are several ashtrays with cigarettes burning in each one Grin

Naaa, thatz at my place  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA3VJB
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 09:24:23 AM »

Take a picture!!! It doesn't stay that way very long!

Ain't THAT the truth !

Those who have been here
know this particular picture is now five years old
and it hasn't looked this way in 5 years + 1/125 sec.

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 09:28:26 AM »

OK, I'm toiling away. I'm fixing the internal SWR meter on the matchbox so it wont go crazy when hi pow-pow-power is applied. it works fine with just the Yeasu, but apply the Muddy Water Slappa and the rf floating around drives it mad. I also fixed the loose right hand dial for good by using a National unit with hex set-screws and threadlock. Then reinstall 44 screws. dammit.  Tongue

Then I gotta nail down the ground system because the GFI breaker will trip unless I tie the Yaesu, amp, and flashbox together.

Then it might be helpful to get the 40 ft of excess ( for now ) feedline offa the wet ground until the ant gets back to it's normal height.

I dont think I'll ever get to the point where I can just sit down and talk.  Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015