The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:43:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audiophoolery - Nov 09 Nuts and Volts magazine - Editor comments  (Read 20068 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2009, 11:24:49 PM »

Bear,

Does the mac and/or quad having the cathode windings use the cathode windings phased to oppose the gain or to go along with it? I must not have noticed, or I forgot.

I had very good and very linear results using the 25V center tapped widing to make negative feedback windings for the cathodes. (The 0-4-16 taps could have been used as well).

The iron was already as large as a hi-fi amp on the amp in question. I changed the tubes from 6L6 to 6CD6 to allow more current and also lowered the G2 supply from ~400 to ~200V.

Pls look at the schematic, I'd be interested in your opinion on the section around the output transformer.

The feedback there is only for the purpose of making the transformer behave as though it cost more. The penalty was more power from the power supply because the voltage across the P-K of the output tubes would sometimes not look like the output of the amp. A square wave input at low frequencies really showed this up. The output voltage across the load would be nice and clean square (well maybe just a little ring visible on the scope - I never did get rid of that), but the voltage across the tubes was very trapezoidal in order to accomplish this. That came from the cathode feedback. It really straightened up the transformer to pre-distort the waveform on the tubes in this manner. I would think this would also electronically reduce the output impedance of the stage, because if a signal was backfed into it, this would drive the cathodes of the tubes in a manner to counteract the 'error'.

What do you mean by current dumping? Do you have a schematic for an example?

* aph1050x.gif (12.5 KB, 700x500 - viewed 342 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2009, 02:06:31 PM »

Bear,

Does the mac and/or quad having the cathode windings use the cathode windings phased to oppose the gain or to go along with it? I must not have noticed, or I forgot.

I had very good and very linear results using the 25V center tapped widing to make negative feedback windings for the cathodes. (The 0-4-16 taps could have been used as well).

The iron was already as large as a hi-fi amp on the amp in question. I changed the tubes from 6L6 to 6CD6 to allow more current and also lowered the G2 supply from ~400 to ~200V.

Pls look at the schematic, I'd be interested in your opinion on the section around the output transformer.

The feedback there is only for the purpose of making the transformer behave as though it cost more. <snip>of the tubes in a manner to counteract the 'error'.

What do you mean by current dumping? Do you have a schematic for an example?

Fast answer version, since it is OT for this forum, but might be of interest in terms of building modulator iron or applying it!  Grin

They draw the McIntosh output stage "funny" so in all probability the cathode is out of phase with the plate. It is a unity gain stage, which is why it is problematic at higher powers - the driver stage needs to go "greater than 100% modulation"!!

You can find Quad schematics online and in the Radiotron Designers Handbook, iirc. It's a variant to get around the McIntosh design...

The problem with "flattening" the response of not so good iron is that you can get the response flat, but at the expense of ringing, which translates to not that great sonics (if ur critically listening, if not, no worries!). The cathode feedback method, or using the secondary (see early Audio Research - not Acoustic Research, the speaker people - schematics) is "one way to do it". In some respects it is a good idea.

To get a really full discussion of this idea, go to http://www.diyaudio.com and search and/or post ur schematic and thoughts there - you'll get a pretty high % of good information back!

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2009, 04:23:26 PM »

Interesting scheezo. The windings criss-crossed on the cathodes look like it's switching the phase. Looks like a LOT of feedback
I always wondered what advantage it was to use TV sweep tubes.
I built a copy of a Dukane 100W tube amp using 4 6CD6's in push-pull-parallel. An OD3 regulating the screens for 150VDC 500 VDC on the plates. 12AX7 phase inverter

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2009, 08:14:48 PM »

-.... -.-. -.. -.... / -.-. --- ... - / ...-..- -.... / .- -. -.. / .... .- ... / -- --- .-. . / .. -.- / - .... .- -. / .- / -.... ..... ..... -----

ok well back to the topic, did not intend to swipe it.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015