Black Paint on HV Windings ?

(1/6) > >>

kg8lb:

k4kyv:
I  recall there used to be a product called Glyptal, a high voltage paint.  It came in either red or black.  I  would assume the black stuff used something other than carbon black for pigment.  In fact, I tried to find some a few years ago, but all I could find was the red stuff.

You  can't lose anything by trying out the transformer.  If the paint is in fact pigmented with carbon black, the transformer is ruined anyway, so you won't lose anything when it craps out.  If it holds up, it is probably impregnated with the black Glyptal or something like it.

Have you contacted the seller to see if he knows anything about this?  Is this a newly manufactured transformer or a "refurbished" one?

Opcom:
yeah how weird, what's the story on this one?

W1AEX:
I've seen black paint applied to the windings of a few audio transformers on tube sound reinforcement amps I have worked on. Not sure why it was used over the varnish on the windings, but it was not problematic. What you received might work fine.

On the other hand, a Thordarson CHT 300 is nothing to sneeze at! Mine has been happily and reliably handling audio duties in my medium powered rig for 30 years and who knows what it went through before it landed here. It's a great sounding transformer!

Rob W1AEX

W7TFO:
I've plenty of black-painted transformers in high powered transmitters for many years.  Electro Engineering, Westinghouse, and Basler Electric come to mind right off. 

None of it even looked like Glyptal varnish, too thin.

Run what you brung, as they say. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands