The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:44:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Open vs Closed QSOs  (Read 27339 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2009, 02:40:15 PM »

It’s really quite out here.

Quite what?
WA3VJB
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2009, 02:43:46 PM »

Quite what?

C'mon Steve, basic typo, give the guy a break.

Even if you changed your avatar to no longer say The Disruptor, people don't always get when you're not serious. It took me years to tell the difference with you.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »

You still don't know, obviously.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2009, 05:25:06 PM »

Except my avatar never did say Disruptor. You dummies need to learn how to read.   Grin  The definition of avatar is: an electronic image that represents and is manipulated by a computer user. Further, only Ralph, W3GL can call me the Disrputor.

All kidding or otherwise aside, the times I was in CA, I found 75 meters to be way less crowded than it is on the east coast. My guess is that despite the huge ham population, many are not on the lower HF bands due to the lack of real estate (too expensive).

Will we hear you this winter?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2009, 07:35:32 PM »

I did some business with SRI International in Menlo Park in the late 80's. The house prices were high even then. SRI was having problems hiring and retaining people. They just couldn't pay them enough to live there.

If I lived in Malibu or Santa Monica, I'd probably spend less time on the radio.  Wink

Several of us out here on the East Coast make a concerted effort to work some of the West Coast AM stations during the winter months. You will usually see a post here announcing the time and frequency. Hopefully, we can hear you this winter.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2009, 09:20:14 PM »

Quite what?

Remembrance of Ozona Bob.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2009, 02:21:41 AM »

Real estate out here is way too freaking expensive. When you find out that a 1200 to 1500 sq' home cost a minimum of 500K+ no mater where you are its hard to believe at first. As time goes on though the shock wears off and it becomes common place.

So where do the barfburger flippers, nurses aides and waitresses live?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2009, 05:56:42 AM »

I listened on 3705 last night about 0430Z but there was slopbucket activity about 2 kHz away.  So I tried out my new 3735 xtal, called CQ, and worked two AM stations.

I normally operate VFO control, but it's fun to run rockbound from time to time.  Just picked up some old-buzzard style xtals for 3685, 3690, 3725 and 3735.

Around 06.00 (London GMT Time) hours I worked on 3705:
F6DVD, with super signal and audio, S9 +25
See: http://www.on4ldl.be/pages/f6dvd.htm
F6AQK, with good signal, S9 +10
PA1SBV, with fair signal, S7
9H1ES, I could only hear some words.

Because during our qso, ssb-stations awake! Grin
Often happening that....
When we starting qso round on 3705 freq. is clean...
But after a little time, it is over with our fun!

This morning totaly nothing around 3885!
But on mw USA broadcast on 1510 and 1390 khz fair signals....

Good DX,

Henk
PE1MPH
WA1GFZ

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2009, 11:44:08 AM »

at the beach the only time I turn the RX on is when I've had too much sun or it is raining outside. When I was in Ca. the line noise was so darn high you could not work the low bands even if you could get an antenna up across the neighborhood.
Even up in Palmdale the houses are on top of each other.
although there are a few strappers out there
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2009, 12:03:49 PM »

P.S. Most nurses out here make $30 per hour minimum.

Actually, I think the term now is medical assistant instead of nurses aide.  Unlike just a few years ago, registered nurses are paid pretty well.  So are teachers.  But the pay scales for RN's and teachers are still near the bottom, compared to other professions that require the same level of education.

Medical assistants are often right out of high school with maybe a few months of vocational training, and start out just above minimum wage.

But even at $60K/year,  real estate prices like that would be hard to handle.  No wonder so many people took out mortgages they couldn't afford.  In some areas, that would include just about everybody.  The house of cards inevitably collapsed.

There are some advantages to living way back in the hinterlands.  Move some of those $1 million estates here, and the whole thing would go for about $250K or even less.  Typical real estate taxes in CA are probably more than what you would pay to rent decent living quarters here.

I own 100 acres and a 3000 ft² house, plus outbuildings.  When we first moved here in 1979, the annual tax bill was a whopping $99/year!  It's now about $1500/year (no 15-fold increase in county services, however), still far less than what my in-laws are gouged for, for their tiny cottage and postage stamp size lot on Cape Cod.

But if we didn't have that damned summer humidity, I'd bet this place would be like California.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015