The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:51:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pilot lamp replacement for FT-101E?  (Read 7644 times)
N2IDU

« on: October 16, 2009, 09:11:30 AM »

Greeting from Old Shincracker, Vt.

I am restoring a FT101E and need to find suitable replacements for the pilot lights and fuse light.  It uses (3) 16volt 0.15A bulbs that have a bayonette base and (1) 14volt  40ma lamp.  I just cannot seem to find them on the net. Does anyone out there know where I can obtain these or suitable replacements?

Thanks in advance.

Peter N2IDU

THIS WILL BE MY LAST TRANSMISSION !!
KC4VWU

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:30:49 PM »

Have you checked with the Fox Tango group?

Phil
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 01:14:33 PM »

You could try http://www.bulbs.com/default.aspx
or get the more common off the shelf 12 volt versions and put resistors in series.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 01:23:17 PM »

Aren't those just standard pilot lamps? I can' recall the type number, but it has 4-digits.  I hope the classic style bayonet and screw-in pilot lamps aren't yet turning into unobtainium.  Years ago when I used to work on FT-101's at the two-way radio shop, I could buy all the bulbs I wanted at the local electronics supplier.  I think even RatShack had them.

I use those bulbs in my 75A4.  They give off a nice soft, warm, amber glow and the bulbs last practically for ever running at 6.3 volts.  The stock #47 lamps give off a harsh white light that I find annoying, and the bulbs crap out after a couple of months.  I use a #53 for the little bulb behind the kilocycle scale.  It is also a 12-14v equivalent of the stock 75A-4 bulb.

I have a lifetime supply of the #53 bulbs, but I am not sure about spares for the 14-volt ones with the longer glass envelope, that go behind the slide-rule dial.  Maybe I should look for a source now and stock up on them.

I don't recall there being a difference between the 12 volt and 14 volt versions.  Most of the specs I recall stated that they were rated at "12-14 volts".  A #47 is rated at "6-8 volts".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 01:33:08 PM »

I would use some ultra bright jumbo LED's, they come in various colors, dont get hot, use less power, and last almost forever. You can use a bunch.
I used 3 red ones behind a heathkit S meter in my homebrew receiver, looks sharp!

Brett
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 02:34:22 PM »

You need the 16 volt lamps. Otherwise, They will blow out again in short order.

Mine say Focus-16volt- 0.15 amp.  I looked around and it seems that Focus is an outdoor lighting company. I wonder if you could walk into a lampsplus and just buy these.

You could just Drop Carrol at Fox tango a line.  I have tried to get ahold of him for months with out any luck. I hope he is in good health.

Clark

WQ9E

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 06:50:45 PM »

Like Brett I have started using a lot of the ultra bright white LEDs in modern gear for the difficult to replace bulbs.  The same type can be used in series to replace the fuse style lamps with additional current limiting resistance as needed.  If you slightly abrade the face of the LED it will provide more diffuse illumination. 

Some of the grain o' wheat and fuse style are getting scarce and expensive.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 07:00:59 PM »

I purchased 20 LEDs for $8 on Ebay.  They came with Resistors built in and nice long wires. All of them worked so far. I just like to keep things original if possible.

C
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 08:42:28 PM »

Some of the grain o' wheat and fuse style are getting scarce and expensive.

Rodger WQ9E

I've been getting mine from Parts Express for years.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 11:38:10 AM »

Also try East Coast Transistor. I used to get all sorts of odd type lamps from this place including the reed type meter lamps.

They have a website that is under construction and their search engine doesn't work that great. You'd be better off obtaining a hardcopy catalog.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 01:19:17 PM »

Also try East Coast Transistor. I used to get all sorts of odd type lamps from this place including the reed type meter lamps.

They have a website that is under construction and their search engine doesn't work that great. You'd be better off obtaining a hardcopy catalog.

Their "Online catalog" link has never worked in all the years I've been buying from them. They're also called www.kenwoodparts.com Don't recall them having a hard copy catalog.

wy3d

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 07:21:11 PM »

I bought them right from Yaesu a year ago.. They still had them.
N2IDU

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 10:19:41 AM »

Ok,

Thanks for all the tips and ideas.

Peter N2idu

THIS WILL BE MY LAST TRANSMISSION !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015