The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 02:14:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's a Globe King 500 Worth?  (Read 7929 times)
wb6kwt
Contributing

« on: September 27, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »

I know that's like asking what automobile is the best etc. but I have no idea what a "working" GK should go for. I found one here on the west coast, the modulator is a 500C and power supply is a 500A. I'm not sure what has been done to the rig but I would like to go see it in a couple of weeks with a better idea of it's real value.

Thanks,

Bob
wb6kwt
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 01:50:29 PM »

What RF Deck?  Sound pieced together.   I see them from $800 to $2000.  Its a wide range. But depends on what you get and who worked on it.

Clark
wb6kwt
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 02:12:51 PM »

The RF deck is also a 500C, forgot to include that. Not sure what has been done to it but hope to find out more after I see it.

Bob
wb6kwt
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 02:32:01 PM »

So no VFO in the Power supply.  Xtal only?  Or do you plan to use a VFO?

C
wb6kwt
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 03:12:53 PM »

Clark,

I'm not sure what is included with this transmitter, I'll know more after I meet with the owner. I have a couple of Johnson 122's but not sure what condition they are in.

Bob
wb6kwt
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 05:30:42 PM »

Ok. Send me pictures if you want.  I just got done with my 500C. Maybe I can help.

C
kg8lb
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 07:30:42 PM »

Sounds like one I shipped out there back about 1994. I think it was about $200 plus shipping then. It was indeed made up from left-overs but worked pretty well. Took 3 medium and one very large box to ship it. Hate to think what the shipping would cost today.
WB6NVH

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 08:56:41 PM »

It looks grossy overpriced in my opinion.  He is asking $ 1200, the decks are all out of the cabinet in the photos, and there is no photo of the cabinet.   I think $ 500 would be more like it, tops, for a Frankenstein transmitter, but maybe I am just too old school about these things.  Globe Kings don't really pull the high rollers like a KW-1 or a Johnson Desk will, although their owners want you to think so because they seem to be an uncommon find.  I would think at that price you should be guaranteed a good working transmitter with all correct original decks in clean condition.

Geoff Fors
Monterey, California
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 09:16:05 PM »

I think $ 500 would be more like it, tops, for a Frankenstein transmitter, but maybe I am just too old school about these things. 

I haven't seen a working GK 500 for that amount in years.  They have their own cult following and bring good money if they are complete and not garbaged in some way.  Where else can you get 300+ watts in a 3 ft. cabinet.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 09:41:49 PM »

Yeah.. Prices are up on BA gear.  If you have a Good clean GK500, its worth alot of money to the right person. I have had offers for mine that shocked me.  I have to much time in mine to just sell it off.

The last Desk I saw that was complete and working pulled $4000.  I saw one with out the desk attachment and in need of R and R, that one pulled $2900. 

I never thought I would see the day when people where getting $400 to $800 for a Damn Valiant.. LOL

Off to the 3870 Net!

Clark

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 10:39:41 PM »

I think $ 500 would be more like it, tops, for a Frankenstein transmitter, but maybe I am just too old school about these things. 

I haven't seen a working GK 500 for that amount in years.  They have their own cult following and bring good money if they are complete and not garbaged in some way.  Where else can you get 300+ watts in a 3 ft. cabinet.

An L4B and a Ranger.

Rip the bleeders out of the L4B and replace them with ones about 3 times the stock value, gain 200 watts PEP.

With the money saved on this station vs the King, go to Home Cheapo and purchase wire, pulleys and #12 gauge wire to put up antennas Smiley  Take better half out to cheap dinner, whatever floats thy boat!

--Shane
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 11:02:55 PM »

Yeah.. There are all kinds of cheap options out there. 

Shane,  Take a look at the sale section. I listed a bunch of BA parts.

Clark
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 11:47:53 PM »

Yeah.. There are all kinds of cheap options out there. 

Shane,  Take a look at the sale section. I listed a bunch of BA parts.

Clark

I saw.  I see huge things happening with that Johnson coil... 

It looks similiar to the roller in my Harris RF-103.....  Of course, that's a motor driven roller, whereas the coil you have isn't, but what a bitchen coil!

If nobody has a pressing need for it, lemme know.  I know I can find something to use it with / on / whatever! Smiley

--Shane
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 01:00:03 AM »

Ok..  Sounds good.  I thought about making a Tuna Out of it.. LOL.   I just dont need it and I am trying to sell off parts for the new modulator deck I am putting together.

C
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 04:04:35 PM »

I suppose this all depends on how you look at it. I bought my GK500B from my cousin WA2LDC back in 1969 for $100. That's about $588 today. I'm owner #3 and am not even remotely interested in selling it, so a mere $1200 wouldn't even make me think about it.

Building one today would set you back big bucks, or take a lot of time. What's a good 4-250 or 4-400 go for?

I have a couple of Apaches here I bought off of ebay for $100-$115. Why? I can't even buy that cabinet for that price much less everything else in it. Plus both were from WNY, had one fellow drop it off at my parents, and picked the other up near Rochester while I was on vacation to visit the family. No shipping fees.

In 76 I was moving to Colorado. I tried to sell my GK with an entire set of spare tubes at the Rochester Hamfest for $100. I needed money but had no takers. Even brought my log book to show everyone the hundreds of USSR/eastern european stations I worked every day along with 10 meter E skip on AM. It was and still is in perfect operating condition. I sold my NCX200 instead and still have the GK500B.

I don't know if I am part of a cult following for this xmtr, but it is easy to fix and has served me well for 40 years. W5JO has heard it and many AMers in Colorado have heard it and say I sound like KOA.

It strikes me as a "commercial" home brew transmitter. You couldn't kill this thing if you dropped a whole clip from a .45 ACP 1911M1 Colt into it.

In the early 80's in a CW QSO a fellow asked me why I had such old equipment.

I answered because I can do this:

DAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
for a good several minutes,and my rig won't blow up.

Try that with your SB220 or rice box.

Marty WB2RJR

AMI #20, GACW #786
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 07:26:16 PM »

Good to see you post Marty.  Hope things are well in the North of America.  South of OK sucks but what can one person do?  Oh Well, hope to work you this winter on either 75 or 160. 

The GK is a good transmitter for what it was designed to do.  There are many things one can do to change things, but why?  It is bullet proof and the one (A model) that I have has been going strong since I bought it from a mentor in 1994. 

I could build something to replace it, but why? 

Jim/W5JO
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »

I agree. Its a nice old transmitter.  Mine is now running strong after the resto.  I really enjoy it...  But I have to keep busy and busy is building something else!

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015