The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:21:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ham radio people got no fashion sense at all.  (Read 4991 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: September 22, 2009, 05:08:28 AM »

good job, but the front panels !  MY EYES! MY EYES!  Shocked Roll Eyes

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-RADIO-TRANSMITTER-HAM-RADIO-BUD-RADIO_W0QQitemZ200386503538QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea7f76372&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_706wt_1167
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 06:17:04 AM »

Looks like a pair of 6146's modulated by 807's on 6 meters. Someone out that way should grab it. The price will probably be right...........Larry

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 09:17:22 AM »

I'd like to get it just for the gray bud rack and the meters and such.
WD4TC

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 09:21:35 AM »

Wish I had a way to get it to NC . I would be hard pressed Not to place a bid or three.To me that's a great piece and I just like home brewed  Transmitters.
    Tim...WD4TC..

Tim...WD4TC 
If it not Glowing it,It's not much for Showing
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:50:57 PM »

I'm fairly color blind, but... that leaves me almost speechless. I have no doubt the guy who built that was influenced (badly) by his wife to make sure it matched the room's decor. Kinda looks like the same color Flex Radio chose for its bandwidth challenged Flex 3000...

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 03:10:55 PM »

Looks like a well-built piece of gear but the paint job has a very...Quebecois look to it. The red dymo labels really stand out from the blue panels. They paint their houses and barns aquamarine/blue up there, it's enough to make you dizzy driving down the road.  Roll Eyes

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 05:59:36 PM »

Looking closely to the photos, it appears to me that the panels were originally black, wrinkle maybe, and someone repainted it. Consider the age of the components and the chassis - doesn't look like brand new  construction, and compare with the new paint job on the panels.  Or else the  whole thing is new construction with used components, including the chassis bases.

I once picked up a pre-WW2 National HRO that Hammy Hambone had painted close to that same shade of blue, trimmed with bright yellow!

But still, IMO, those blue panels beat grey hammertone! Hammertone finish has to be the epitome of ugly.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 06:37:20 PM »

It looked like FB workmanship where it mattered anyhow.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 08:18:03 AM »

That's gonna be a nice iron and parts score for someone. I love it when things like this show up close to me. They make for a nice infusion to the parts bin and only sell for pennies on the pound.

As far as the color goes, who ever said you had to march in line. I'm cleaning up a recently acquired r-390a and I've been eyeballing this bit of hugger orange I have on the shelf. This rx is going to be for my geerage, so why the hell not make it chebby orange with black fill lettering and back knobs so it matches the environment it's in. I wouldn't decimate my Amelco 390a like that, but this one is a serious mix and match of parts, which totally kills the value if I cared about that. Besides, it's always fun to listen to the purists soil their diapers.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
K9PNP

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 11:07:50 AM »

Don't think you could lose that xmtr, even in my basement.  Wish I had the time to go pick it up.  From the looks of the bidding, could probably get it really cheap.  But, it's a 6-plus hour drive one way from the far southwest end of the state no matter what mapquest says.  Sure looks like the construction was done well in any event.  And like was said earlier, there is a lot of money there in iron and meters.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 09:46:40 AM »

I wouldn't part it. I'd repaint the panels flat black or something and try to apply the rub-on lettering. It's too nicely made to part. A pair of 6146's plate modulated on 6M is alot of juice. and if it's not enough, just get an old SB-220 and convert it to a 6M amp.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015