The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:10:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cut your ARRL membership cost in half, with QEX only, no QST Yea !  (Read 107206 times)
ka3zlr
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2009, 09:16:43 AM »

It's Not Very Green, that tote an chuck with QST, I donate mine to the barber shop, it's a guy place....

What's needed is a real 24-7 Push on them daily daily, from all districts to make change....pester anyone long enough they'll move on something.....Blog Talk is what it is Blog Talk.... Smiley

How bad do you want this to happen..?  Get Organized..

Jack.

K1ZJH

« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2009, 09:54:34 AM »

Ham Radio Horizons languished for 5 years and finally folded.

And so did Ham Radio.

To-day's QST is much closer to HR Horizons than to HR.

What is an "international" membership?

Ham Radio did not lanquish. It went out on a fairly high note... But the
handwriting was on the wall" fewer tech types in the hobby, smaller
writer pool to draw from... But from what I know, it was still very
viable when the publisher decided to retire.

Pete k1zjh
former assc. tech. editor, review board member, HRM
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2009, 01:11:41 PM »

Not saying that HR languished; my point was that it folded, just like its offspring HRH.

Along with 73. Some of the 60's issues were a half inch thick, filled with dozens of technical and construction articles, along with plenty of non-technical ham-related stuff.  By the time it folded till it had dwindled to the point where it was more like a pamphlet than a magazine, and was largely filled with Wayne's rants on non-radio topics.

I'm not sure that the comparison to AARP is directly applicable.  Does AARP offer another publication at extra cost that is more technical and bereft of the human interest pablum? 

No, but two periodicals come inseparably with membership.  You cannot join AARP at reduced cost by declining one or both publications.  They somehow manage to send out both items on a regular basis, included in the cost of membership dues. 

If the problem is lack of space between the covers of one magazine (QST) for everything, the latter could contain mostly general membership stuff and the ads, and the member would select a second publication at no extra cost, choosing from QEX, NCJ or a third one, a beginner's publication specifically oriented towards new hams, with the option to pay extra to receive one or both of the other secondary periodicals.  That way, the advertisers would still reach their intended audience, and members would receive membership publications oriented more to their specific interests.

But I wonder if dead-tree periodicals like QST, CQ and AARP Journal aren't headed in the direction of daily newspapers.  Many of the long-time well known ones have folded in recent years. Afternoon editions are practically non-existent.  The dailies still in circulation have become skinny in both page size and thickness.  I have heard it said more than once recently, that the industry is barely hanging on by the threads and struggling to survive.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2009, 03:39:05 PM »

Seems like they oughta change the bylaws then, Pete, to leverage the fact that almost everyone has computer access these days and can access that critical information on board meetings on the ARRL website.  For those old buzzards that don't have internet access then by all means let 'em read those scintillating sagas in QST.

Bylaws can be changed, and the definition of QST as a mandatory "benefit" of membership can be changed, too.  This attitude is reminiscent of the old "it's not a bug, it's a feature" jokes from the old days of computer programming.

Point is that the League is cutting off its nose to spite its face with this attitude.  Many (myself included) would be pleased to become members if QEX came with the membership rather than QST.  It seems quite the waste to lug the magazine from the mailbox only to chuck it directly, unopened, into the trash.

Sure, there's lots of things they probably could change, if it benefited the majority of the membership and the ARRL organization. I have yet to see anyone, member, nonmember, or ARRL Director come forward with a plan or set of recommendations that benefits all parties and isn't a revenue breaker.

Personally, if I was running an organization that had a monthly journal, and the only reason you wanted to join my organization was to get a magazine, I would most likely tell you to hit the road. An organization, among other things, needs members who can provide constructive input, and, if necessary, support on their activities. People, who become members just because they want to receive a magazine, in my opinion, aren't a valuable asset to the membership. Ask yourself if you would become an ARRL member if they did not provide any magazine either in paper form or electronically.

I'm not sure that the comparison to AARP is directly applicable.  Does AARP offer another publication at extra cost that is more technical and bereft of the human interest pablum?

As Don pointed out, we received two printed publications; one is monthly and the other is bi-monthly. They come as part of membership. Both generally hit the recycling trash bin soon after they arrive. I view them as great sleep inducers. 30 seconds after opening one up, I've dozed off.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K1ZJH

« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2009, 03:50:03 PM »

As Don pointed out, we received two printed publications; one is monthly and the other is bi-monthly. They come as part of membership. Both generally hit the recycling trash bin soon after they arrive. I view them as great sleep inducers. 30 seconds after opening one up, I've dozed off.

Well, I am an ARRP member, too!  Their publications are self-serving; mostly to sell insurance plans that have their names on them (indorsements) and to push their polictical agenda. The magazines no doubt pay for themselves and probably turn a handsome profit as well.
Pete
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »

Not saying that HR languished; my point was that it folded, just like its offspring HRH.

Along with 73. Some of the 60's issues were a half inch thick, filled with dozens of technical and construction articles, along with plenty of non-technical ham-related stuff.  By the time it folded till it had dwindled to the point where it was more like a pamphlet than a magazine, and was largely filled with Wayne's rants on non-radio topics.

73 Magazine had it thickest issues in the 70's when FM came on the scene and computers for the amateur market showed great promise. It was also during the time, if I remember correctly, that their magazine was running roughly 70% advertising and 30% article substance each month.

HRH languished for 5 years and folded. HR hung in there for 22 years. But amateur radio demographics were changing by the latter part of the 80's. Less techies types and it was probably difficult to maintain the quality of an amateur radio technical magazine on a month to month basis. But, on the bright side, the remnants of HR eventually rolled over into the QEX magazine we know today.

K1ZJH

« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2009, 04:06:35 PM »

]

HRH languished for 5 years and folded. HR hung in there for 22 years. But amateur radio demographics were changing by the latter part of the 80's. Less techies types and it was probably difficult to maintain the quality of an amateur radio technical magazine on a month to month basis. But, on the bright side, the remnants of HR eventually rolled over into the QEX magazine we know today.

Wow, what happened to Communications Quarterly, and its ten year run as the sucessor to HRM under the CQ banner?
This is a good example of the ARRL killing off the competition, BTW..

Pete k1zjh
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2009, 04:29:47 PM »

]

Wow, what happened to Communications Quarterly, and its ten year run as the sucessor to HRM under the CQ banner?
This is a good example of the ARRL killing off the competition, BTW..

Pete k1zjh

I knew it was there Pete, I just truncated its life cycle  Grin
For those that may not know or remember, here's a very brief view of the transition (HR to QEX) from the QEX web page:

"In January 2000, ARRL purchased the Amateur Radio technical journal Communications Quarterly from CQ Communications and merged it with QEX, creating the combined QEX/Communications Quarterly. Published for the preceding nine years under the editorship of Terry Littlefield, KA1STC, Communications Quarterly billed itself as the philosophical successor to ham radio magazine, which was founded by “Skip” Tenney, W1NLB, and Jim Fisk, W1HR. Littlefield was ham radio's Editor when CQ Communications purchased it in 1990."

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »

Sure, there's lots of things they probably could change, if it benefited the majority of the membership and the ARRL organization. I have yet to see anyone, member, nonmember, or ARRL Director come forward with a plan or set of recommendations that benefits all parties and isn't a revenue breaker.

Then I would submit that nobody's thinking very hard.  I would think that this would have the possibility of substantially increasing League membership, and I fail to see how it could "break the banK" nor adversely affect other members.

Personally, if I was running an organization that had a monthly journal, and the only reason you wanted to join my organization was to get a magazine, I would most likely tell you to hit the road. An organization, among other things, needs members who can provide constructive input, and, if necessary, support on their activities. People, who become members just because they want to receive a magazine, in my opinion, aren't a valuable asset to the membership. Ask yourself if you would become an ARRL member if they did not provide any magazine either in paper form or electronically.

OTOH what kind of organization would turn down prospective members merely on their choice of a magazine?  Seems pretty short-sighted to me.   Besides, we *know* that's not the case where people just want the magazines, because you can already get QEX or NCJ separate from the membership.  What about those of us who would like to be members but can't be bothered with QST?

Is the ARRL in such a good position, membership- and financial-wise, that they can afford to be so inflexible and tell people to go to hell?  Judging by the number of pleas I get from HQ for my membership, that doesn't appear to be the case.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2009, 05:42:06 PM »

OTOH what kind of organization would turn down prospective members merely on their choice of a magazine?  Seems pretty short-sighted to me.   Besides, we *know* that's not the case where people just want the magazines, because you can already get QEX or NCJ separate from the membership.  What about those of us who would like to be members but can't be bothered with QST?

Is the ARRL in such a good position, membership- and financial-wise, that they can afford to be so inflexible and tell people to go to hell?  Judging by the number of pleas I get from HQ for my membership, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Want to be a member and don't want QST; donate it to your local library, local school, the kid down the block, senior citizen's home, as Jack said, your local barber, your local CB'er, etc.

I'll ask again, would you be a member if there was no magazine of any type? In my opinion, QEX or the Contest Journal have nothing to do with the membership. You don't need to be a member to get a subscription to either one of these magazines. I wonder how many offers you get in the mail to take a subscription to QST.

I see a new T-shirt in the making - Some hams want it all free!!

ka3zlr
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2009, 06:23:04 PM »

There are some changes coming they're not deaf....change takes time..and I'm almost assuredly convinced that not every QEX is The one to have and pilings will occur and subsequently be handed off or sent to refloor the bird cage.

Everyone Has the right to submit a proposal I mentioned getting organized and doing it with more hands speaking as one would make some kind of impact..

Jack.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2009, 06:26:13 PM »

I just rejoined essentially free of charge. The ARRL offered a choice among several books as a "gift" to rejoin. The price of the book I chose exceeded the membership fee.
ka3zlr
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2009, 06:31:50 PM »

I just rejoined essentially free of charge. The ARRL offered a choice among several books as a "gift" to rejoin. The price of the book I chose exceeded the membership fee.

And how does that make you feel..?

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2009, 06:42:52 PM »

It makes me feel great! How does it make you feel?
ka3zlr
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2009, 06:51:31 PM »

Well that's just wonderful then...a satisfied Customer... Cheesy
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2009, 06:52:59 PM »

And how does that make you feel..?

Makes me  Huh...... Cry

They can offer you a $40 + book, for free ( I never got one a dem offers).

But yet they can't see their way clear to offer, say, a subscription to QEX for a year?

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2009, 07:05:06 PM »

And I get my name plastered all over their web site and traffic pushed to my web site for free. What a deal!
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2009, 08:48:31 PM »

QST?!? Why I wouldn't even use it on the bottom of my bird cage..... if I had a bird with a cage. But ifn' I did, I still wouldn't use it. Where's Phil, K2PG when you need him Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2009, 08:51:06 PM »

LOL. Is the top of the bird cage OK?
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »

Gee Steve,
Now you're just rubbing it in!

Grin

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »

What book did you get?  The latest "Low Band DXing" by ON4UN might be worth it.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2009, 09:27:30 PM »

I'm almost certain it was either the "Operating Handbook" or a repeater directory  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2009, 09:38:30 PM »

Or was it, "Flaming on Six Meters"  -   by W6BD  (Ben Dover) ?

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2009, 09:08:10 AM »

Steve said:
Is the top of the bird cage OK?

No it isn't!! Its not suitable anywhere in a birdcage!!!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
ka3zlr
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2009, 09:56:20 AM »

.As Pete Said...I wish I would have thought of it. Grin

"I see a new T-shirt in the making - Some hams want it all free!!"

We Got Plenty of Tight asses...in this service..LOL.. Grin

Jack.

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015