The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:58:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harry W3FDY's Radio Shack  (Read 33767 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2009, 01:17:07 PM »

Thanks Tom.  I will post some pictures of that console over the weekend.
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
wa2pjp

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2009, 08:02:38 PM »

Hi Joe,

I noticed looking at the new picture of Harry's shack and the old picture with Harry standing in the front of it, that there is a house built behind the shack now. Was some of the property sold off or is that the new owners?

Joe  WA2PJP
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2009, 09:26:56 PM »

Hi Joe,

That is the neighbor's house.  The property is not too wide really.  I regret not taking some wide view perspective photos of the property while I was there last Saturday for the QCWA picnic.  For the first half of the picnic, the neighbors were cleaning their pick-up truck with Country-Western music blasting at us.

Joe GMS will have to chime in and tell if the property size was bigger in the past or not.

* 2009_0606Image0003.JPG (675 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 492 times.)

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2009, 11:09:48 PM »

I When I completed it, Harry made arrangements at different radio clubs for me to give a presentation on my work.  He said that talking to a big crowd of people would help my presentation skills once I got into the electronics business.  Boy was he right on that!  Sometime people would comment on my presentations over my 36 year career at Unisys and I said all the credit goes to my mentor Harry.

I could go on and on, but that's enough for now.  

Joe, W3GMS      

Hi Joe,

As I had indicated in my earlier post, Harry was quite obviously a very impressive person, a true Renaissance man. He was most perceptive as well, as evidenced by his mentoring of you in the fine art of public speaking. He was absolutely correct in that the ability to speak confidently in front of large groups of people would be an invaluable skill in terms of furthering yourself professionally within your chosen career.

But in what field was Harry's education and training, and what was his occupation? I seem to recall hearing recently that he may have been a broadcast engineer at a Philadelphia area TV station, but I do not know how accurate this information is.

I also find it quite nice that he met his wife at an airport,  that she too was a private pilot, and that they both shared the same hobby. I must assume Marian was his real soulmate, something that is all too rare in marriage. Harry must have really enjoyed a charmed life, between his marriage, his family, his hobbies, and the personal fulfillment he received from the Friday Niters and seeing his tutelage pay off more than he could ever imagine.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2009, 08:01:26 AM »

The same Friday Nighters shown in the earlier newspaper posting happened to be over at our house this past Friday evening.  We made sure the order was the same as the original picture.  My we have gotten older!  I found and included a picture of Harry, W3FDY operating his famous "Big Rig". 
L to R in the photo...Bert-WA3JYU, Chuck-NA3CW-Bob-N2HM and Joe-W3GMS and of coarse Harry in the picture.
Joe, W3GMS   

* Friday Nighters 2009.jpg (1106.43 KB, 2816x2112 - viewed 623 times.)

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2009, 02:17:27 PM »

As promised to Tom, WA3KLR here are the pictures of the Audio Console Harry, W3FDY taught me not only how to build, but how to design all the audio circuity as well.  I was 15 years old at the time.
Joe, W3GMS

* W3FDY mentored WA3GMS audio mixer 1968.JPG (1049.27 KB, 2816x2112 - viewed 552 times.)

* W3FDY mentored WA3GMS audio mixer wiring 1968.JPG (1206.97 KB, 2816x2112 - viewed 536 times.)

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2009, 02:57:53 PM »

Wow Joe!! Thatz some fine lookin stuff!!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2009, 03:13:44 PM »

Hi Frank,
I owe it all to Harry, W3FDY.  At the time all of us (Friday Nighters) knew we had a unique opportunity in front of us and as years went by, I realized really how extra special they were.       
Anyway thanks for the commpliment.  Some day, I will freshen up the panel and put new label on it along with a new paint job.  Shoot, that was 42 years ago! 
Joe, W3GMS     

w1vtp

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2009, 04:03:06 PM »

Here is a somewhat wider view of the W3FDY shack:

And another:

And the neighbor's house seen in background of the other picture of Harry's shack (completed fairly recently) poste above:

The above were taken in May 2008. If I recall correctly, the property was a bit over 2 acres in size. The property was always this size.

Harry never worked in broadcasting. He was machinist by trade and worked for Lukens Steel Company in Coatesville, PA (at the time, maker of some of the largest steel plates in the U.S.) for close to 30 years, where he ended his career as a supervisor in one of the large machine shops.

Alan, W3BV

HUH?  Wot happened to the images?

Al
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2009, 04:50:03 PM »

Very nice Joe! I'd be proud to build something that nice now, let alone as a JN.

Frank, there will be some people fondly remembering their radio Friday nights at your place, in the years to come.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2009, 02:59:11 PM »

Thanks for the compliment Steve.  For me the fun part of Ham Radio is to build or modify stuff.  Now that I am retired I am finally getting time to do some of that.  Now, what project to build first?Huh
Its been fun sharing my memories of Harry.  I will document them and you will get a copy.  I should have written it up for Electric Radio when they ran that special issue talking about mentors. 
See you on the wireless...
Joe, W3GMS

wa2pjp

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2009, 11:17:48 PM »

Hey, What happeded to all the pictures of Harry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2009, 12:54:24 AM »

Photo bucket blows. Just attach them here.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015