The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:26:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Globe King 500 help  (Read 14557 times)
Steve W8TOW

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »

I've operated a GK400B for ten years now and one of the best changes which you can
do is to increase the "C" in ALL the power supplies. (I have 12 uF in the Class C supply & 22 uF in the Class B supply)
The suggestion made to use the solid state rectifiers is also a good suggestion but omit the filament transformer used originally with the 866's & 866JR's...
this is a weak link and should not be left in the circuit!

Good luck es 73 Steve
8tow

Always buiilding & fixing stuff. Current station is a "Old Buzzard" KW, running a pair of Taylor T-200's modulated by Taylor 203Z's; Johnson 500 / SX-101A; Globe King 400B / BC-1004; and Finally, BC-610 with SX28  CU 160m morn & 75m wkends.
73  W8TOW
W8UJX

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 12:40:29 PM »

Thanks a lot for the info guys.  That answers a lot of my questions.  I had the 500B when I was a kid in high school back in the 50's but never really got into it.

One of these days I will go through my A and C models and do some serious mods to the modulator and power supply decks.  My goal is to get it sounding like an AM broadcast station on AM.  Hi... 

As an interesting note the key-up HV on the final in both my rigs is about 2600 VDC and drops to 1800 VDC key-down.  That says a lot about the power supply design.

73's
Jerry/W8UJX/CA
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 01:19:17 PM »

W0VMC Robert sells an inexpensive kit for the modulator deck.  It comes with a schematic and all the parts to install on the preamp tubes.  Its actualy easier to order his kit that it is to sit down and figure the values and order all the caps and parts.

He also sent me the correct Screen and filiment bypass caps for the final tube. You need to change these for full bandwidth audio.

Once this was done, I use the phone patch jack on the rear of the mod deck for the mic input. I use a Low to high level impedance matching transformer (from guitar center). This converts to low impedance to my inexpensive 802 mixer and then to my Large diaphram condensor mic. 

I swept the 500C after all this was done and I ended up nearly flat from 20hz out to 10,000. With some EQ, I reach 12,000. I was suprised the stock mod iron could go that low but it does.  Everyone that has listened to my 500 loves it. Its very wide, full and clear.

Of course,, I can still run the D104 if I want. He even supplies the correct loading resistor for the D104 so you get pretty decent sound from the old mic.

HIs website is  http://www.w0vmc.com/

He is on this site as a user also.  Also.. search for my Globe king 500 under my user name. I posted a full instruction manual on the restoration of my 500 that might help.

Clark
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015