The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:24:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Static discharge control from open wire line antennas?  (Read 64866 times)
kc2ifr
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2009, 06:30:45 PM »

again..........I use as an example that most toob transmitters and toob amps use a CHOKE to protect the output.
I rest my case................ Roll Eyes
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »

again..........I use as an example that most toob transmitters and toob amps use a CHOKE to protect the output.
I rest my case................ Roll Eyes

And the texts written since we mastered the silicon junction call them static bleed chokes.

You're case was understood days ago, just a bit on the 'DATED' side.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2009, 07:02:04 PM »

I have the two 200K 50 watt resistors across the open wire line and I ordered the Array solutions chokes.

Umm, they shouldn't be across the line, they should be from each leg of the feeders to ground..

I'm guessin that's what you meant, but just to be safe...

--Shane
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2009, 07:06:03 PM »

Yeah... From the open wire line to Ground on each side. 

They dont effect 20 meters..   I just talked to ea1abt in Spain with the 1000D using this antenna and about 100 watts Smiley  14.288.85

Clark
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2009, 07:11:25 PM »

Yeah... From the open wire line to Ground on each side. 

They dont effect 20 meters..   I just talked to ea1abt in Spain with the 1000D using this antenna and about 100 watts Smiley  14.288.85

Clark

HOW FUNNY!!!!

Not 10-15 minutes ago, I was listening to him!  My son must have gotten off the bus around the time you made the contact.

He had a good signal into cent cal, with my ATAS120 dummy load.

Just found my marine tuner and fired it up.  On 10 meters, it was able to load up a test lead from my Fluke.  I can't find a manual ANYWHERE on it, but it hooks up exactly like the icom auto tuners from the 90s. 

If I can find a CB type whip somewhere, I'd like to A/B compare it against the ATAS.

--Shane
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2009, 08:37:39 PM »

shane, You need to get that wire up man. 

Thats funny you heard him.  I dont spend much time on 20 meters. But 75 is so noisey here that its useless. 40DB over with the antenna hooked up.. 0 with it unhooked.  The people I can hear are just washed out.

Oh and yes, Those are the coils I got.  I just got shipping notification on them today.  I should have them by monday. 

I am going to mount them just like the picture that was posted.  I have a Ground rod right outside. Its an 8Ft rod. The leader from coils to rod will be 3ft or less. That rod is also tied to two others and the tower. It will have a solid ground. I hope I dont have any issues with harmonics. I will have to keep an eye on that.

THe big resistors are inline but they sure dont stop any noise. I still get pops that wipe out the RX for a second.

What kind of Choke are you talking about for the Recievers?  Can you post a picture or show me which ones to get from RF parts? I posted the RF parts link to the chokes in this thread.   The only two I have got fried as I had them on the open wire line.

CLark
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2009, 09:03:22 PM »

I like to use big resistors for the discharge and then a mH choke at the receiver terminals to eliminate the noise. It’s a better combination.

How does a mH choke at the receiver terminals eliminate noise?
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2009, 09:45:45 PM »

I will try that out on my Reciever.  From Center to ground correct? 

The chokes I used where just slightly smaller then that on the open wire line. Thats the ones that smoked. They had the brown wire that looks like string.

I did try some 20K 50 watt resistors.. It seemed the 200Ks helped more with the noise. Maybe it was me. 

Thanks for helping me!

Clark
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »

shane, You need to get that wire up man. 

Thats funny you heard him.  I dont spend much time on 20 meters. But 75 is so noisey here that its useless. 40DB over with the antenna hooked up.. 0 with it unhooked.  The people I can hear are just washed out.

CLark

With the resistors and the coils in parallel, you shouldn't ever have the CHANCE to burn out the coils.  The R in parallel with the L will also lower the Q of the inductors, making them even more broad, although it looks like that isn't going to be an issue.

The 160 full dipole is up.  I have a marine tuner I found in my junkbox, pretty much a clone of the ICOM AT103, but I'm not capable of doing much now....  On the 14th, I fell down my stairs carrying my puppy (he just finished a worm treatment and was pretty sick).  My broken leg ended up bending a HARD rt turn at my knee.  Possible another break at the knee, or at the bare minimum, a torn ligament....  They can't MRI because I have the pin in my rt leg from the motorcycle wreck a year ago.

Oh yeah, the fall down the stairs happened on the 1 year anniversary of the wreck.  Someone isn't / wasn't happy with me for somethin I did on a May 14th SOMEWHERE!

Anywho, I figure if I can get a stainless steel whip somewhere (nobody local has one, and I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to spend 30 dollars + shipping) I'm going to try it and the marine tuna next.  If I can't get anything going with that, finally, I have the legal limit ++ mobile solid state amplifier I'll have to shove into the pickup truck Smiley.  Last time it was up and running, it was good for 6 to 800 watts of carrier fully modulated Smiley 

One way or another, I'll be heard. 

--Shane
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015