The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:49:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: my little road trip  (Read 2577 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: August 12, 2009, 11:27:29 PM »

went out of town for the last few days.. road trip for sales calls.. I am a technical marketer, and drove rather than suffer the indignities and restrictions of flying. Dallas TX to Fayetteville ARK to Tulsa OK to Dallas TX.

Driving lets one see some sights. And work alot of AM as long as it is on 27.185.

On the way to ARK, saw this FMTV military truck being hauled on a flatbed. Never seen that body on one before.

I stopped at a small junk store "Bob's Good Junk" and bought a cobalt glass bottle. My mom collects them.

In Fayetteville, the room in the hotel had an a/c that was making water-splashing sounds, so had to change rooms. It was nice to find a room where the a/c was not artificially "cut back" to a too-warm energy-saving setting. Went downtown to the largest used book store. The whole city BTW is full of liberals but I suppose it is because of the college.. After buying the two books on optics, I perused the rest of the store which is laid out like a maze. It was raining, so I was hearing strange noises. I rounded a corner and found a young man and woman sucking face. So I chose another route. In the back of the store, I ran up on two women doing the same. I suppose in  small town there is really nothing else for these college kids to do, and the labyrinthine book store is the place to do it.

After completing the sales calls the next day, I drove to Tulsa. There about halfway along, I came upon a long line of vehicles on this 2-lane blacktop. I figured there had been a wreck. There were people standing in the highway directing traffic. When I got up there, I saw a goy lying on the pavement next to a motorcycle. There was no helmet to be seen. I mention this because his face was rather bloody as were the soaked towels or rags one guy was holding to the side of his head. I hope he survived. It had been >10 minutes to get to that point and move along, no cops no ambulance.. Hope they were on the way.

I stopped to rest about an hour downrange of that scene, and entered a little junque store in the middle of nowhere. The place had a very wide variety of "stuff" including books, daggers, old entertainment radios, a real old and scary devil mask (I did not like it), alot of stuff I had no idea what it was. There was also a cat doll, rather large as in life size head and body size, cloth type human proportioned body with ceramic head and paws and sporting a red dress. Had a happy and realistic face, cute. Got it for my mom also. She has a thing for cats and collects antique dolls so score two for one. Later when she saw it, she was very happy about this and said the kitty was a rare find. I knew I did the right thing when it asked me to rescue it from the bizzarre store. So Ms. Cat Doll is also happily in good hands and I paid only the princely sum of $8.50.. Everyone is happy.

A wide variety of things happen in Arkansas. I did not realize that before.

In OK, visited the customers.. then headed back towards Dallas. Saw an M109 for sale. That's a big 6x6 military truck good for offroad camping etc.

* FMTV.jpg (145.76 KB, 973x502 - viewed 366 times.)

* bobsjunk.jpg (299.02 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 363 times.)

* M109.jpg (140.51 KB, 862x556 - viewed 352 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:11:12 AM »

Nice crack in your windshield.  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:40:10 AM »

Heh, for a moment, I thought he was driving my car!!!   Tongue

Nice crack in your windshield.  Wink

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 12:21:34 PM »

Interesting trip.  Back in the mid 80's my wife lived and worked in Fayetteville, AR on a contract and I was in Dallas.  I made that trip many times by car when I didn't fly the Cessna 182.  The road then was U.S. 71 but it went up through Mountainburg, Artist Point to Winslow, now you have it easy with I-540 going that way.

On one of the trips we say a couple of guys who cut cedar trees for fence posts standing on their porch playing a guitar and fiddle while waiting for their wives to make lunch.  We stopped to take some pictures and they were having a garage sale.  In the sale were two small, decorative cobalt kerosene lamps.  My wife bought both for $5.00 and felt so bad that she paid $10.00. 

That part of Arkansas is really beautiful, especially in fall when the colors are showing.  The scenery reminds me of the Smoky Mountains, and the people are just as nice.  Anyone who hasn't seen that part of Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas really should make a trip.  Noel, MO is a place that I will never forget so if you have time on your next trip to Fayetteville, drive up and have a look.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 10:18:51 PM »

I will. Yeah, everyone was really nice there. Much nicer than in Dallas. I like road trips and try to make one once a year for a couple weeks. I figure I should do it now while I'm working and can pay for it. I want to se MT rushmore again. More than that, all the little tourist traps along the mountain highway headed out there. There was one that had a flying amphibious car. It was Russian.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015