The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:21:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: you got to see read e ham " 40 meters what are you doing "  (Read 42350 times)
c. mac neill w8znx
« on: April 16, 2009, 04:14:40 AM »

another fool wants am off the band
thinks now that the broadcasters are off part of 40 fone
the am ops " with their modified cb gear " should stay off the band

yours truly
mac
dit dit
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:24:03 AM »

link-

Removed link.  Nuff said elsewhere.

KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 07:18:55 AM »

I think the guy who wrote that is right.

We should have the ARRL make up a chart and straighten us all out.

Roll Eyes

Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 08:38:23 AM »

A certifiable idiot who got rightly trounced.  So far 9 comments, all negative and critical of his  idiocy.   10, including mine.   

Cretin.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 09:12:15 AM »

His call suffix is appropriate.

Just an exercise - If we were to to consider eliminating AM from the VHF aircraft band, what phone mode would we institute there?

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 11:03:30 AM »

If you were to remove AM from the aircraft band (and what would drive that? Bandwidth considerations?) one issue to keep in mind is that AM was retained in part because it allows people monitoring the frequency to tell if more than one aircraft is transmitting.

If two planes 'double' generally the listeners hear a heterodyne and some parts of both audio and it's clear that there has been an overlap of transmissions and the tower (if there is one) and the pilots can sort it out. With FM capture effect, it's possible for one plane's signal to totally dominate the receiver and so no one may be aware there is a second aircraft trying to communicate. Since most communication is done during the approach and landing phase when aircraft are close to the field, it's more critical to be aware of the presence of other aircraft, especially in the pattern.

I'd say retain AM, but if it had to change for bandwidth, then something like SSB with a pilot carrier for frequency lock would probably make most sense. FM wouldn't save bandwidth and has the capture effect issue. SSB you can at least hear audio from both transmitters. I know, blasphemy!  Grin

There is a large installed base of AM gear which would be expensive to replace. Bandwidth is somewhat of a consideration, but there aren't that many users - about 4000 commercial aircraft and about half a million GA birds ranging from Cub's and ELSA's like mine to G3's. The number aloft at one time and using the frequencies (720 channels, 12.5 Khz spacing) just isn't all that high. (although the range of coverage from a few thousand feet is impressive. I work repeaters 75 miles away on 50 mw all the time with my FT51R and a rubber duck hanging off the bottom of the plane. )

One goal for this flying season is to rig up a trailing wire antenna for 75 or 40 meters and make some AM contacts with my HF rig on board. Have to do some noise suppression on the ignitions system first though!

* DSCF0006.JPG (122.55 KB, 640x480 - viewed 638 times.)

* N61216 2000 feet over ithaca.jpg (142.06 KB, 640x480 - viewed 654 times.)

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 11:05:55 AM »

Interesting and most predictable thread. Obviously N0AH is a troll who enjoys attention and the incoming comments feed his ego. No amount of debate will change his mind or the minds of those who crawl out of the same dark place now and then. I am disappointed that e-ham would allow a thread like this to exist. It really serves no constructive purpose.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 11:07:02 AM »

It really serves no constructive purpose.

Excactly. And I would contend the same holds here.
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 06:12:04 PM »

Just one more ignorant opinion.    Opinions are like assholes - everyone's got one.   Ignore the idiot.
I have no idea where his CB references came from.   Maybe the guy is an ex-freebander, who  scoffs at, and considers AM to be beneath his dignity?   His whole post is  a mess of misinformation, lies,  half-truths and nonsense.   

It really serves no constructive purpose.
Excactly. And I would contend the same holds here.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
K9ACT
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 08:34:32 PM »

I have a feeling the "station in Michigan" was actually in Illinois... like me!

I have been running my robot quite a bit on 7160 when there is no one around.

That said, the problem he refers to works both ways.

I was in QSO with two non local stations on 7160 several nights ago and right in the middle of our very pleasant chat, some slop bucket from Spain starts calling CQ right on our freq.  This was followed by about 10 billion DX slobs throwing out their call signs.

I announced that the freq was in use but if the CQer would care to join, he would be more than welcome.  Bang!  More DX slobs.  I kept repeating my announcement and after a few minutes, the guy in Spain moved down a few kc's but all the DX slobs stayed on our freq.

So much for who is doing what to whom.

BTW, don't you love his comment that you can get DXCC in a week with a wire using a slob bucket?

Sort of says it all....

js

WB2YGF
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 09:02:26 PM »

IMHO, these DX certificate chasers are THE most rabid hams, even more than contesters.  The whole ham community should clear the freq so he can work his missing section on the way to getting his IMPORTANT piece of wallpaper.  Why can't other hams understand that DX hunting is the HIGHEST priority!! Tongue
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 09:23:20 PM »

Why can't other hams understand that DX hunting is the HIGHEST priority!!

It isn't?
KA1ZGC
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 10:29:25 PM »

You're feeding the trolls, guys. Don't think for one second he's not reading this. All he has to do is google his own callsign and this thread will come up.

All he had to do was post once, and the followups have been steady and endless ever since; on eHam, and here. Now the infighting has begun over on eHam, just like he wanted. He won, everyone who responded lost.

Stop giving him exactly what he's looking for, and kill this thread already.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 04:10:18 AM »

So what if somebody feeds the trolls on some two-bit internet discussion group?  Let him have his fun.  While he is reading the responses to his "article", he isn't somewhere else making an obnoxious slopbucket ass of himself over the air.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 08:29:06 AM »

Maybe one of these would come in handy....

Cheesy

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rockwell-Collins-HF-80-205J3-45KW-SSB-AMP-with-Exciter_W0QQitemZ250405366121QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250405366121&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A15%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

KA1ZGC
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 11:05:10 AM »

So what if somebody feeds the trolls on some two-bit internet discussion group?  Let him have his fun.  While he is reading the responses to his "article", he isn't somewhere else making an obnoxious slopbucket ass of himself over the air.

Instead, he makes even bigger asses out of everyone giving him the attention. If you don't mind being that kind of ass, have at it.

I don't see any reason he can't be an ass on the air while reading the asses tripping over each other to say what an ass he is.
WB2YGF
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 11:31:56 AM »

Mmmm...Drama **munches popcorn**
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »

There are a number of other slopbuckets who believe the same as AH. They ARE making pests of themselves near AM activity trying to run it off. I had a short QSO with one a couple of weeks back. Unlike the 3 other deliberate qwermers he was talking with, this guy actually admitted he knew the heterodyne heard on 7160 was amateur activity. I think he didn't expect anyone using AM to get on slopbucket and ask...why.....The usual rationalization was then heard.  The other guys were playing the QRM game pretending there is a broadcast station still there. I know at least one of these guys knows better. The fun part is he lives less than 3 miles away from me! More to follow maybe....
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 12:41:04 PM »

Just strap softly and turn up the wick.

What pisses me off about the whole thing is that U.S. amateurs, and U.S. amateurs alone, are forbidden to operate phone on 7075-7125, where so much foreign phone activity takes place, yet the DX'ers who insist that we continue to set aside a huge  chunk of the band to maintain a separate "DX phone band", have the gall to piss and moan about a little AM in the vicinity of 7160.

Continental U.S. is like the Jim Crow south before the civil rights era.  When operating phone, we are relegated to the back of the 40m bus.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 02:14:32 PM »

More to follow maybe....

Grin Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »

Funny, but since SSB  IS  AM you'd think we'd all get along.

Virtually all phone transmissions on HF are by definition, amplitude modulation (ok maybe some out there is using nbfm somewhere).

there are no disticntions between which phone mode you use, as long as your in the phone portion of the band you're legal and good to go.

If anything, SSB is the "little brother" of Full Carrier AM.

how can you complain about someone doing the same thing you are?

The band width argument is a crock there's lots of space out there, and given the bandwidth of some Digital modes counter productive, so what's the real issue?

It just boils down to prejudice and ignorance, as usual when a group of people refuse to get along (notice it's not can't get along, but refuse to get along). 

Try to be nice, until it's time not to be nice anymore...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 04:58:32 PM »

Funny, but since SSB  IS  AM you'd think we'd all get along.

Unfortunately, some (or a lot) do not think SSB is AM.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 05:16:03 PM »

SSB is a half-assed AM signal.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 05:29:48 PM »

One thing I find interesting is that the anti-AM attitude shows up clearly in a  minority of the comments submitted in response.  I have noticed the same thing whenever some anti-AM rant gets posted on QRZ.com.

Remember a generation or so ago, when the anti-AM attitude was consciously instilled by ubiquitous propaganda everywhere within the amateur radio establishment, and was dutifully expected from anyone in the "mainstream"?

- - -
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 06:06:48 PM »

SSB is a half-assed AM signal.

Damn, ya beat me to it. Smiley

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015