The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:37:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do NOT screw with Navy SEALS  (Read 100538 times)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 10:35:54 PM »

Gather the inteligence.
Find the home port of some pirates. Don't mater if u get 'em all.
Give a 20 minute warning by dropping leaflets from the air.
Saturate the area with cluster bomb units.
Repeat as necessary.

As in a previous post, its all about the money.

klc

What? Me worry?
WB2YGF
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 11:16:43 PM »

Gather the inteligence.
Intelligence?  You mean like all them WMD's in Iraq?  Seems like military intelligence is an oxymoron.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 11:52:27 PM »

any pirate-fags

Grin Grin Cheesy

Aye, there's only two kinds of men what wears earrings and I don't see no pirate ships round here! AARRGHH!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 09:19:57 AM »

Within one inch at 100 yards.

Incredible.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 09:59:11 AM »

Within one inch at 100 yards.

Incredible.

From a moving ship, to a bobbing lifeboat.  That is Some Shot!

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 10:06:42 AM »

If, in fact, that's how it actually went down. I rather doubt it went down the way it's being presented in the news. Lots of strutting and preening going on and it sounds just a little too Hollywood to be real.

As for intelligence, sometimes it's right, sometimes it's not. Intelligence is trying to learn things others don't want us to know. By definition it isn't usually going to get all the info all the time. Why would anyone think it would?

The WMDs are a bad example since the entire world, even the UN, thought Iraq had WMDs. And, in fact, they did, since poison gas killed thousands in previous years. Hollywood and the news media want us to think you can push a button and out comes 100% correct intelligence, every time. The news weenies ignore the fact that they get it wrong more often than does intelligence, even though their job in getting it correct is far easier.
K5MO
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2009, 07:48:37 PM »

It's crazy that I can legally carry more weaponry in a bass boat than a multi million dollar ship can carry in international waters.

If'n it was me, I'd opt for the "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" philosophy, and stock a couple of deer rifles and a couple 12 gauges. Besides, if you turn some would be Blackbeards into shark chum, who's to know?

John K5MO
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2009, 09:41:26 PM »

It's crazy that I can legally carry more weaponry in a bass boat than a multi million dollar ship can carry in international waters.

If'n it was me, I'd opt for the "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" philosophy, and stock a couple of deer rifles and a couple 12 gauges. Besides, if you turn some would be Blackbeards into shark chum, who's to know?

But in almost any country, a private bank, factory or warehouse can hire its own armed security guards to protect whatever is inside.  Since a cargo ship is essentially a floating warehouse, why can't the shipping company arm its own team of security guards?  There is a company called Blackwater whose speciality is providing that kind of service.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »

But in almost any country, a private bank, factory or warehouse can hire its own armed security guards to protect whatever is inside.  Since a cargo ship is essentially a floating warehouse, why can't the shipping company arm its own team of security guards?  There is a company called Blackwater whose speciality is providing that kind of service.

A couple of Bofors 40 mm AA guns from WWII hidden on a few ships would really reach out and blow most of those boats in half.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bofors_firing_USS_Hornet.jpg

Besides, they're loads of fun and look great!

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
WB2YGF
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »

The WMDs are a bad example since the entire world, even the UN, thought Iraq had WMDs.
I don't care.  For all the money and technology this big country spends on the CIA, IMHO, they aught to be able to get it right, otherwise, it's money down the toilet. (Not to even mention the billions spent on a war predicated on false information.)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 10:26:40 PM »

Gathering intel is always tough, and you never know if you were right until you've acted on it, or not (Pear Habor?).
I remember pouring over reams of intel data to brief my guys, and never knowing really how much was worth the effort, but affraid to not put it out since if it was real, they'd need to know.

The armchair generals always know though... right off of CNN, then ask "how come you guys didn't see that coming??"
as if it was soooo easy to find out something some else wants desperately kept secret.

Blackwater et al.  =  Mercenaries  and you might get what you pay for.

As for the bofors, they are cool, but a 20mm Oerlikon is also a nice choice still produced and used too.

Although I always thought the quad .50 was the coolest thing, but I love the M2 Browning HB.

Of course, simply not leaving your boarding ladder deployed 24/7 might help.  It'd be tough to chuck a grapple and scale the 40-50ft shear steel walls of a ship under way, not to mention simply dropping heavy things ont op of the climbers and their boat. (old school that, very old school).

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2009, 10:40:42 PM »

Well, at least you aren't bitter, John.

Back on topic, another US ship was attacked by pirates today. This saga is not over. Like one of the crew members of the Maersk Alabama  said at the new conference, "Wake up!"

W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2009, 12:03:03 AM »

Fr Ed: As for the bofors, they are cool, but a 20mm Oerlikon is also a nice choice still produced and used too.

Yeah baby.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2009, 08:46:15 AM »

It's only logical that we'd like classic/old buzzard guns too!

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2009, 09:54:31 AM »

Concerning real time limits of satellites, I see the Navy used RPV's in the lastest intel foray.  Some of those are way cool; some of the earlier models were about as close to model airplanes as we knew them as the military ever got.  Even had wood props... 
Of course the current models are light-years ahead of their ancestors.

Anyhoo., it takes a lot of money and will-power to maintain a fleet in the horn of Africa... longer shore line than east or west coastal US.  With our flighty, current congress and upwards exec. branch, big, long-term expenditure committment is about as vapourous as the rest of the trillion dollar vapourware attempts to control the uncontrollable.

I see the latest intended US freighter victim was shot at, grenaded.. and just kept on steamin.'    Should've run over the nearest slow boat for emphasis while they were at it. 

RICK  *W3RSW*
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »

On a modern freighter, even an RPG would be relatively ineffective, Unless they were able to take out the entire bridge crew, and all equipment, which while possible is probably a one-in-a-million shot.

Since the typical RPG is an armor peircing round (they do have other warheads, but not that common), it'd punch a hole through the hull, and unless the compartment behind that was holding something explosive, flamable or critical equipment, then probably not much more that a leaky boat,which I would think that a trained crew could deal with.

I doubt that rounds from any of the small arms they carry would penetrate the hull. Though again they could shoot up the bridge and superstructure and keep the crews mobility down.

Still I'd have to give the advantage to the freighter as long as the pirates can't get aboard.

Remember the cruise ship captian who's response was to move the passengers to inboard cabins, go to full speed, and keep the ship moving erraticaly.
He eventually out ran the small boats, and came close to bumping them (I think). 

I imagine a freighter could do the same, even though they are a lot slower than a cruise ship.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2009, 02:56:23 PM »

"Q" ships  set up with some quick launch, well armed bording parties...

grab a few of the rats, find out where they live, and go after the families of the pirates....   its not nice, and probably  'illegal', but it may be helpful...

Peace

klc

What? Me worry?
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2009, 06:23:14 PM »

actually the Q-ship idea is Great!!  get a couple old freighters/tankers armed to the teeth, filled with balsa wood and when the pirates sneak up on the soft target... blammo!  you wouldn't need to go hunt them down on land, eventually the population would be radically reduced.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
KA1ZGC
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2009, 06:28:07 PM »

grab a few of the rats, find out where they live, and go after the families of the pirates....   its not nice, and probably  'illegal', but it may be helpful...

Any good plan for peace involves a certain amount of cleansing by fire.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 06:48:07 PM »

A buddy of mine in the Navy posted this on Facebook last night.

* US_Navy.jpg (43.22 KB, 604x483 - viewed 1953 times.)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2009, 01:14:03 AM »

He forgot... and for no extra charge!

A buddy of mine in the Navy posted this on Facebook last night.
K9ACT
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2009, 01:37:14 AM »

Funny how those reports of the skipper getting up to relieve himself to create that magic moment vanished from the media.

I still do not understand how it really happened.

The most recent graphics show an xray view inside the lifeboat of a guy with a gun to his head and two guys sticking there heads out of hatches.

How did they target the guy with the gun if he was inside the raft?

Or how did the skipper take a pee if he was "tied up"?

They also claim it was pointing the gun at the skipper that prompted the shoot.  Never mind they were telling us for days that they were pointing guns at him.

And then, ponder the IQ of these guys who would agree to be "towed to calmer water" by a warship with a crew eager to eat them for lunch.

They are 30 miles from land so where is this calmer water?  Can't you just see the guy on the winch slowly winding up the tow line?

You must agree that the mighty Seals got some help from God when the brains were passed out.

js
WA1GFZ

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »

You guys forget who you are dealing with. Find the town where 100 generations of stupidity thrive on this shit and let the Air Force dig a pit with a dozen or so B52s raining 500 pounders right down the main drag.
Then make sure anyone left knows this is what you get when you screw with the USA. But then I would have nuked tora bora.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2009, 10:34:32 PM »

We can't do that anymore. Too many people get all up in arms about us dumping all this money into a sandpit. They complain that we're spending all this money on a poor desert nation instead of spending it here, and that we're...

...shoe fits a little different on the other foot now, doesn't it?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2009, 04:05:39 AM »

No arguing that the planet is a better place without Saddam Hussein, but why did it have to essentially be only American lives and money spent to  get rid of him, while the entire world reaps the benefits of his absence?

Every country, including USA, France and Russia, that has had ships attacked, should declare these attacks an act of war, and join together to create a task force to impose a total naval blockade on Somalia, with each participating nation equally sharing the task of enforcing it.  Put it on notice that any Somali vessel at sea would be blasted to oblivion on sight.  No reason to blow away the poverty-stricken wretches on land, the majority of whom had nothing to do with the piracy (and are probably not even aware that it exists), but who are only trying to survive while imprisoned inside that hell-hole.

There are no known oil reserves in Somalia.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015