The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:16:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They hated me just because I was an AM'er  (Read 59680 times)
KA1ZGC
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2009, 03:59:33 PM »

We seem to be as fixated on Kenny as he is on AM. 

Nah. He gets discussed here when he makes a complete and total ass of himself with (or in front of) one of us. That's three or four times a year, roughly.

On the other hand, you could tune from 3500 to 4000 and hear nothing but silence, save for Kenny-poo on 3892 complaining about all the ungodly AM QRM on the frequency, even blaming specific people who haven't been on the air for months.

The difference is that we all coalesce into one huge gut-laugh at his expense, and then get on with other topics and our own lives. For Kenny, this is every single day of his life.

This thread will die a natural death over the weekend. They always do.
KA1ZGC
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2009, 04:02:58 PM »

Somehow, this seems appropriate:

http://www.theonion.com/content/opinion/come_on_lighten_up_im_just?utm_source=b-section
K3ZS

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2009, 04:19:59 PM »

This is a late reply to W3RSW.   In the Fall 1959 Call book there are mainly 1X3 calls and a few original 1X2 calls, no regular 2X3, although there might have been some special calls for RACES.     Most are W, the K's were up to about K3GXX.   I found this callbook and a local flea market (not hamfest) and it is the first one I was in after upgrading from Novice.    My call was K3EZS, later dropped the E dit.
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2009, 05:09:14 PM »

This is a late reply to W3RSW.   In the Fall 1959 Call book there are mainly 1X3 calls and a few original 1X2 calls, no regular 2X3, although there might have been some special calls for RACES.     Most are W, the K's were up to about K3GXX.   I found this callbook and a local flea market (not hamfest) and it is the first one I was in after upgrading from Novice.    My call was K3EZS, later dropped the E dit.

I had replied to Rick earlier in this (now very long) thread that I got my original KN3KJX call in early December of 1959. A friend got K3Oxx in '61. I don't think the 2x3 calls started until the mid 60's but I was in the military then and lost track.

---Dave  W3NP
k9qs

« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2009, 09:34:57 AM »

The possible silver lining of all of this ongoing antagonism of AM is that AM signals can be received easily on even a budget SW portable, or an antique radio. For many folks, this will be their first exposure to ham radio. The conversations on AM are polite and intelligent, and often extremely interesting from a technical point of view. It makes our hobby look good, and makes the AM mode look enticing. Compare that to the low-level mud slinging that has infected 75m SSB, and the AMers win every time. As a newcomer, which crowd would you want to be associated with?

About vanity calls, I chose to go vanity because my original assigned call was dreadful from both a phone and CW point of view, as I spend a lot of time on CW as well. My old call was WB9PSH. Loads of dots in CW, and the "WD9PFH question-mark, come again." on phone. The call sign wasn't worth the trouble, even though it was original.

* P2260017.JPG (1487.53 KB, 2816x2112 - viewed 738 times.)

\\\"Dogs have masters; cats have staff.\\\"
KA1ZGC
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2009, 11:19:12 AM »

It gets even more amusing.

Good ol' Kenny-poo was ranting about, and I quote: "The Macaroni Net" last night in between complaints about imaginary AM interference.

He's not only listening to us constantly, he's talking like us now!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2009, 02:59:36 PM »

I thought the "Macaroni" Net was down around 3872.  Is his receiver THAT poor?  No wonder he is bothered by AM QRM on 3885.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2009, 10:05:32 PM »

(snip)

About vanity calls, I chose to go vanity because my original assigned call was dreadful from both a phone and CW point of view, as I spend a lot of time on CW as well. My old call was WB9PSH. Loads of dots in CW, and the "WD9PFH question-mark, come again." on phone. The call sign wasn't worth the trouble, even though it was original.

haha. I thought about it, but only -affter- I had a bunch of real nice color QSL cards made up. At this rate I will never change the call. I don't care though, it's what I was given. KD5OEI is supposed to be a good call for CW.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2009, 06:08:04 PM »

At this rate I will never change the call. I don't care though, it's what I was given. KD5OEI is supposed to be a good call for CW.

I feel about the same way. I had WN2EMS as a novice in '68 and got WB2EMS as advanced in '69 or '70. Except for the "B" it's a nice CW call - dit, dah-dah, dididit. Easy to pick out. Maybe if K2 or W2 came available I might go vanity but on the other hand I've had this call for .....jeeze, 38 years. It'd just feel *wrong* to have a different call. I left it alone when I upgraded to Extra a number of years back to be able to do VE duties. Probably won't ever change.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
ka2zni
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2009, 10:33:29 PM »

It gets even more amusing.

Good ol' Kenny-poo was ranting about, and I quote: "The Macaroni Net" last night in between complaints about imaginary AM interference.

He's not only listening to us constantly, he's talking like us now!

Grin
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2009, 11:35:14 PM »

I went to a hamfest a while back and was having a nice conversation with another ham whom I had met there.  We chatted for several minutes with the usual "where ya from, when did you get here?, yadda yadda>" Then he asked where I usually operated, I told him I was mostly on AM.  You'd thought I had thrown hot P....ss in his face.  He immediately stopped talking and walked away! So much for being friendly. Roll Eyes
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #86 on: March 31, 2009, 12:51:00 AM »

Similar odd reactions, but not as mean. Some uneducated guys though. One did not understand how a transmitter would have a pair of 3-500Z's and a 4-1000 and kept trying to correct me, then was totally put off the subject when I told him it was plate modulated.

Rude because I had already listened with great interest to him about how he restored and modded his heathkit linear amp -whichever one has the pair of 3-500's in it, SB-220? The nice model with 10M from the factory etc etc - everyone should have one.

He told me to dump the modulator and add another 4-1000 and turn it into a reel beeg leenyar. See, some of them guys have no sense, like I can wave a magic wand and make the RF deck bigger. The real problem with some people is that there is no more room in the "RF deck" on top of their shoulders!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2009, 01:23:28 AM »

That reminds me a few years ago, when I had a dispute with a SSB dead-air  group on 160.  They had squatted on a frequency just above 1885 where AM'ers all over the country had habitually been hanging out for several years, ever since LORAN had cleared off the band.  Even though an AM QSO might have been in progress for an hour or more before they would come on the air, they would fire up just a couple of kHz above, and then proceed to piss 'n moan because our USB and carriers were wiping them out.  The band would usually be empty for +/- at least 15 kHz on either side.

I would listen to the group sometimes after finishing our QSO.  One of their constant complaints was how "wide" our carriers were.  They thought it was because something was wrong with our signals, that they could tune their receivers over a span of 3 kHz or more and still hear the squeal of the carrier.  Their conversations always dripped heavily with CB lingo.

But the remark that takes the cake occurred one night after I had just finished talking to Tom, W4UOC in Atlanta, who was running a DX-100.  I was running my HF-300 rig at a KW.  One of the slopbucketeers remarked: "The guy in Atlanta was running regular AM.  But that guy up in Tennessee was running AM and sideband at the same time!  I don't know how he does it, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal."  Grin Grin

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
ka2zni
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2009, 01:29:10 AM »

"The guy in Atlanta was running regular AM.  But that guy up in Tennessee was running AM and sideband at the same time!  I don't know how he does it, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal."  Grin Grin

Grin UNREAL
Jerry-n5ugw
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2009, 06:11:51 AM »

We could all send Kenny poo- an AM QSL card to his home address. He just might have heart failure if enough showed up over a period of time.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2009, 04:34:57 PM »

Better still, those who have not made themselves familiar to No-Balls could re-create Ken's trick.  If it was such a trauma be fooled by one AM signal that it took him two days to get over it, imagine if he became paranoid over any new breaking station to the point that he had to check to see if the station was running AM before he would dare to acknowledge.

Or if someone, or preferably several stations with SSB capability, would call him on slopbucket, and engage in a conversation.  Then after the QSO was established, later on in the conversation, quietly switch over to AM, and before he knew it, he would be talking to several AM'ers at the same time...  Then lower the boom.  Grin Grin

I would love to hear a recording of Ken's conversation with him.  Really wish I hadn't missed that, although I have better things to do with my time than to monitor ol' No-Balls.

- - -
ka3zlr
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2009, 05:56:38 PM »

Gentlemen,

Please don't misunderstand me in any way, I realize I'm under a little duress here an maybe I'm over stepping...If I am Then say jack Damit back off...

But this needs moderated Now..I like a Good shot I've taken some good shots on here and Enjoyed them because i enjoy all of you.. I think it's enough with this Guy or whatever...Why Should what we have here be Cluttered with Small potatoes.

Believe me I enjoy the Cuts I really do...But...your given him what he wants..

Believe Me with all do Respect...My concern is for the Forum and us.....

We That be
Not on our Knees

Jack.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2009, 06:37:40 PM »

I wouldn't take it too seriously, Jack.  It's kind of like the obnoxious little kid on the playground who does something to make a really big ass of himself, and for a while the other kids amuse themselves by mocking him or slapping him around.   Smiley

- - -
ka3zlr
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2009, 06:41:06 PM »

OK Don I always Take what you say, I just don't like this guy Downgrading my friends man..He shud have no Time...

Yes Sir.

Jack.

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015