The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:09:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They hated me just because I was an AM'er  (Read 59418 times)
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2009, 01:00:04 PM »

Were they still issuing 1x3's or had they gone to 2x3's at that time in 3 land?

I was issued KN3KJX (K3KJX a year later) in Dec of 1959. A friend of mine had a K3Oxx call in '61.

---Dave  W3NP
KA1ZGC
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2009, 01:13:18 PM »

Nobody dead or alive has had my 1X2 call before.    I got it before they were all used up by the "Extra lites" and it is one "dit" shorter than my original call.

Your original call was K37S? Cool!

(Yes, of course I'm kidding)
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »

i wuz toyin with the idea of getting  a xtra for a call I wanted, but I'd have to give up my advanced to do it. I like my advanced.  Cool
KA1ZGC
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2009, 02:33:01 PM »

i wuz toyin with the idea of getting  a xtra for a call I wanted, but I'd have to give up my advanced to do it. I like my advanced.  Cool

Short, shameful confession:

I'm the same way, but I gotta confess I have actually considered it once or twice in the recent past.
ka3zlr
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2009, 03:20:41 PM »

Never feel Slighted in any way when something takes you from one point and raises your Level higher, your thinking comes on a better order, you operate from a better perspective, Your level of engineering is polished to a higher source.

Automatic....

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2009, 03:29:21 PM »

Yeah, they're giving them away but in return you get some extra "kc's."  Hard to pass up.
... so I didn't even advertise last yr. at Timmonium, just did it.
Those that even care to remember or know me will know I really was and now am still a closet 'advanced.'  ..urk.  Tongue.   ... rope's a little tight.

RICK  *W3RSW*
WB2YGF
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2009, 03:50:36 PM »

Yeah, they're giving them away but in return you get some extra "kc's."  Hard to pass up.
... so I didn't even advertise last yr. at Timmonium, just did it.
Those that even care to remember or know me will know I really was and now am still a closet 'advanced.'  ..urk.  Tongue.   ... rope's a little tight.

AMEN.  The new band plan has actually given me a reason to upgrade. Smiley

Novice: 1 year
General: 6 months
Advanced: 33 years
Extra:  TBD  Grin
KA1ZGC
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2009, 03:57:57 PM »

Never feel Slighted in any way when something takes you from one point and raises your Level higher, your thinking comes on a better order, you operate from a better perspective, Your level of engineering is polished to a higher source.

I don't know, Jack. I know plenty of Extras who are idiot a-holes. I don't think there's much in the way of clout to be gained from the upgrade anymore. The only reason is spectrum,  at least now that's more than some 25kc snippets scattered here and there.
WA1HZK

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2009, 05:15:58 PM »

I'll never be driven of the Getto.
Just STRAP!
 Smiley Smiley

AM is Not A Hobby - It's a "Way of Life"!
Timmy, Sometime in 2007 on a Mountain Far Away..
www.criticalradio.com
www.criticalbattery.com
www.criticaltowers.com
www.criticalresponder.com
Official Registered "Old Buzzard"
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2009, 05:34:11 PM »

3.885  there is no greater Hive of Scum and villany...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KA1ZGC
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2009, 06:03:30 PM »

...yo ho ho, and a bottle of strap!
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2009, 08:15:47 PM »

Ken, I can feel your pain. People hate me just because I'm me. Now I have to admit I haven't been an angel most of my life and I know that is a problem. I try to do the right thing but sometimes more urgent things crop up and make me look bad. When I try to explain myself, I get little understanding. If I try to make adjustments, I get criticized. It seems as if life is not kind to me these days. I get up in the morning with little hope. It seems there’s nowhere to turn. I feel so bad that I cannot bear it. My 75-meter coils are corroded. My band switch is stuck in one place. My 3 in one oilcan is dry. All my antennas fell down. I lost my 100-meter tape and I can no longer measure antenna wires. The pine trees where I hang my antennas have gotten blight by the pine beetle and they are dying. The string on my bow is frayed and I cannot shoot a string up to the dying pines. The copper antenna wire has been stolen and I cannot solder to the old barbed rusty fence wire that’s around the property from the 1800’s. My shoes are so worn that my toes are sticking out the bottom and are inflamed from thorns. When I visit my doctor he looks at me with pity. I cannot afford to pay him even though he wants no money. I tried to join disharmony.com and was rejected. People on my side of the street cross over to the other side when they see me approaching. My side of the street collapsed. A truck   loaded with battery acid hit a tree and spilled acid down in the pit where I was pined under a bolder with a broken leg only to be followed by a gasoline truck. It hit the acid truck and spilled its contents down the pit. It didn’t explode. It just sizzled for hours while the emergency crews were at a loss what to do. Finally I was rescued and spent months in the hospital. Upon recovery I was put on trial because I shouldn’t have been on that side of the sidewalk that day. Spring is coming, oh joy.  I sure hope this is not off topic.           

WOW I thought this was the book of Job from the Bible.

Life will continue

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2009, 01:37:44 AM »

I wear their scorn as a badge of honor
-Dan Quayle
 Cheesy
ka2zni
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2009, 01:50:57 AM »

Just goes to show how brainless Kenneth NO BALLS is... An astute amateur radio operator of supposed many years, not only didn't pick up on Ken's carrier, but had a civil conversation until AM was brought into the picture... I cannot understand how someone can have their life consumed with countless hours, everyday, scorning AM'rs or anyone that talks to them... Perhaps this poor wretch of a human being needs to take up some other hobby that would seem to me would give more pleasure and a more positive outlook on things... If you cannot enjoy a hobby where interaction among the public is inevitable amongst different races, religions, beliefs, and different modes of operation, than maybe, just maybe.....  KENNY... KENNY.... Good... Just wanted to make sure I had your attention.... CRAWL back down into the bowels of the earth where you come from you poor lost soul because your using up good air that was intended for more  intelligent people that still walk the face of this earth!! Your pathetic, worthless, sorry, cry baby act has gone on long enough... Your way past the point of Puberty Kenny... Get a life man!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2009, 02:21:52 AM »

Anyway-- I was listening to the inbreeds on 3892 briefly on Sun or Mon nite....
They were making fun of W8VYZ and his profile on qrz. 
What kind of pitiful souls make fun of a Senior Ham in declinging health in the twilight of his years...?
Ashtubula Bill's words will live on AM forever-
"Ain't a slopbucket in the whirl...."
 Grin

I guess that's the Christian attitude.  The NO BALLS concept of Christianity, that is.  The congregation at his church has to be a bunch of in-breeds to sit for an hour every week and listen to the moronic ramblings of a loser-creep like that. I'd bet it smells bad in there, too.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2009, 03:09:26 AM »

They killed Kenny.

* kenny.jpg (33.38 KB, 345x423 - viewed 691 times.)
ka2zni
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2009, 04:19:24 AM »

Anyway-- I was listening to the inbreeds on 3892 briefly on Sun or Mon nite....
They were making fun of W8VYZ and his profile on qrz. 
What kind of pitiful souls make fun of a Senior Ham in declinging health in the twilight of his years...?
Ashtubula Bill's words will live on AM forever-
"Ain't a slopbucket in the whirl...."
 Grin

I guess that's the Christian attitude.  The NO BALLS concept of Christianity, that is.  The congregation at his church has to be a bunch of in-breeds to sit for an hour every week and listen to the moronic ramblings of a loser-creep like that. I'd bet it smells bad in there, too.

That's right.... He's supposed to be some kind of a minister or something isn't he? Yes sir, a hypocrite in every sense of the word... 
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2009, 10:25:58 AM »

We seem to be as fixated on Kenny as he is on AM. 

I'll set up a Kenny Korner in Frank's yard.

Commiseration and Scorn
    For ol' No Balls forlorn.
  Don 'YV, ya gotta come
    to AM's Dayton QRM.

Worth a trip from Tennessee,
         Don'cha know
A lot of guys wanna meecha,
   And roast ol' Kenny slow.

(-apologies to just about every scribe ever born.)

BTW I've got a whole gallon of choc. chip Susan specals for y'all.

RICK  *W3RSW*
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2009, 10:32:08 AM »

They killed Kenny.

Bastards !

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2009, 11:16:56 AM »

I didn’t realize the level of hatred some operators have for AM until this evening.  I was tuning the band and 3885 was quiet so I kept moving up in frequency until I heard some strong stations which were on 3892 SSB.  One of the guys (W8NB) was going on and on about the lousy audio from those AM guys.  For a brief time, a carrier came on 3892 and he blamed the wide signals from 3885, when in fact, there was no signal on 3885.  I put the digital VFO, on my AM rig, on 3982 and had a cordial conversation with W8NB for at least 10 minutes while he was on SSB and I was on AM.  At the end of the QSO I asked him to put his receiver in the AM position and mentioned that if AM audio is “trash” how come he didn’t mention it during the 10 minutes we were on.  He got really ticked off and said he refuses to talk with AM’ers and signed out with me rather quickly.  Some of his friends were “jabbing” him for being “taken”. 

I went into the receive mode and for the next half hour W8NB, who just had a nice QSO with a fellow ham, went off on me as having character flaws, the worst person on the band, and one of the “AM trash”.  He and his friends were calling me a jerk, a “wet behind the ears” AM’er, and and vowed never to talk to a “2” station again.  All this garbage just because I operate on AM.

I had a few free moments last evening so I thought I would take a listen on 3892 - just out of curiosity, so I powered up the Drake R8B and monitored for a few minutes. The first station I head was this W8NB and he was in the middle of a diatribe about Ken, AM'ers in general, and 2 AND 1 land trash. (a new call district has been added to his "list".
Even when the other stations in this group tried to change the subject, he came right back to Ken and the "AM'ers", making very derogatory (libelous??) comments about Ken, his website and the travel photos on it (I won't repeat what he said about the photos here). He couldn't understand why anyone would need to run 8000 watts (??) on AM or even SSB. I can't remember his exact words verbatim but he had a comment that went something like this: "he (ken) must have practiced for hours in order to make his AM signal sound like a SB signal in order to pull off this deception". Said that if he had known Ken was on AM he wouldn't never have talked to him.
There was more (much more) but thats all I can remember. He (w8nb) must be really eat up over being so easily fooled that he can't let it go.
I was finally enlightened to the low order of life that spews forth on that "channel" I can surely understand the term "knuckel dragger" being used to described their ilk. Amazing!!

---Dave  W3NP
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2009, 11:56:42 AM »

I haven't heard it yet, but I gotta listen for the 3892 kHz NO-BALLS AM show.  Grin Grin

Sounds like NoBalls is suffering from a severe case of the AM Derangement Syndrome.

With apologies to political columnist and psychiatrist Charles Krauthammer, the AM Derangement Syndrome is defined as follows: "the acute onset of paranoia in otherwise normal people in reaction to the sound, the operation — nay — the very existence of AM". While somewhat tongue-in-cheek, the term indicates the long-standing observation that most criticisms of Amplitude Modulation are of emotional origins rather than based on facts or logic.

But this definition is submitted with one reservation: I would hardly class NoBalls and his ilk as "normal people".

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
AB3FL
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2009, 02:06:20 PM »

How about we all move the "Viper Net" to 3892 tonight?  I am in '3' land, so I guess I am not trash......btw what time do you guys meet around?  I heard some people on 3885 last night around 9PM

Tom - AB3FL
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2009, 03:14:38 PM »

As long as no-one else is already using the frequency, it is fair game.

Amateur radio operates on an interference-expected basis. No-one has the "right" to a clear channel or prior claim to any frequency; every frequency is open, first-come first-served.

- - -
ka3zlr
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2009, 03:28:54 PM »

Amateur radio operates on an interference-expected basis. No-one has the "right" to a clear channel or prior claim to any frequency; every frequency is open, first-come first-served.

AGAIN:...Amateur radio operates on an interference-expected basis.

Again,
Again,
Again,

Well Don as Always.. and we have to remind those that forget the little things...

Now if they can Read there's a Plus.....

Jack.
AB3FL
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2009, 03:44:50 PM »

Of course!    There is no need to QRM anyone. 

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015