The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:39:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They hated me just because I was an AM'er  (Read 59722 times)
kenw2dtc
« on: March 25, 2009, 01:39:20 AM »

I didn’t realize the level of hatred some operators have for AM until this evening.  I was tuning the band and 3885 was quiet so I kept moving up in frequency until I heard some strong stations which were on 3892 SSB.  One of the guys (W8NB) was going on and on about the lousy audio from those AM guys.  For a brief time, a carrier came on 3892 and he blamed the wide signals from 3885, when in fact, there was no signal on 3885.  I put the digital VFO, on my AM rig, on 3982 and had a cordial conversation with W8NB for at least 10 minutes while he was on SSB and I was on AM.  At the end of the QSO I asked him to put his receiver in the AM position and mentioned that if AM audio is “trash” how come he didn’t mention it during the 10 minutes we were on.  He got really ticked off and said he refuses to talk with AM’ers and signed out with me rather quickly.  Some of his friends were “jabbing” him for being “taken”. 

I went into the receive mode and for the next half hour W8NB, who just had a nice QSO with a fellow ham, went off on me as having character flaws, the worst person on the band, and one of the “AM trash”.  He and his friends were calling me a jerk, a “wet behind the ears” AM’er, and and vowed never to talk to a “2” station again.  All this garbage just because I operate on AM.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 02:14:25 AM »

Ken, you are truly a gentleman. These guys are morons. You can't really expect much from them.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 04:01:42 AM »

He and his friends were calling me a jerk, a “wet behind the ears” AM’er, and and vowed never to talk to a “2” station again.  All this garbage just because I operate on AM.

See how brilliant this type of mind is?  "wet behind the ears" Huh Doesn't that mean really young and inexperienced?  What does "2 land" hams have to do with AM?  AM operators are found in all areas.

Does anyone remember the Amateur's Code? 
http://kx5jt.net/amateurcode.html
I vote for Ken over these fellas for someone with integrity and honor.  In fact, AMers follow the amateur's code without even thinking about it in my experience.  Actions and behaviors speak volumes.

John-o-phonic John KX5JT

AMI#1684
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 06:13:02 AM »

Sadly, nothing new Ken.  This bunch has been at it for a very long time.  Some of the guys down here operate on 90 and have had run ins with this guy before.  I don't hold any hope that will change.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 07:25:03 AM »

Hi Ken,
Yes I heard your QSO with them as well.  Its surprising how shallow their knowledge is about the different modes.  He made the comment later, that AM sounds good when you tune them in but their audio sounds "trashy" when you tune off center frequency!  I wonder if he listens to the AM broadcast band 5 KC off center frequency?  They went on and on after you signed and I listened for maybe 30 minutes or so.  They will never change.  I wonder why such a dislike for 2 landers?

Hope to see you at the Hamfest on Saturday.
Joe, W3GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 07:31:54 AM »

I wouldn't worry myself over W8NoBalls. He's no more than a bipolar motormouth that surrounded himself with a bunch of followers to stroke him when he goes off on a tangent like what you heard. Still being stuck on slopbucket myself, I can assure you there are numerous operators that have no love for the 92 turd herders and tend to stay away.

I've heard better manners on the chicken band.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
ka3zlr
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 08:10:49 AM »

Hi Guys just coming back from first round Chemo/Radiation.

Ken I have monitored yer sig many times and listened to many pleasant QSO's from you, and you have a FB and High Quality AM sig on the air.

You Sir have No Reason to cow tow to anyone..yer card wud figure highly on my wall....I think it's it's time for Uncle jack to start flipping the switch again..heck with my neighbors till we get some of these thing settled out.
WB2YGF
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 08:13:35 AM »

Hmmm...Seems like we have been here before.

W8NB is the leader, and hero of all the others on 3892.  I have never dealt with anyone as nasty and unwilling to compromise as this guy is.

K1RON has no problems operating with his unkind words about AM'ers every night.  Kenny, W8NB used to be K8RXW.  W8NB(K8RXW) is now calling AM'ers "Sodomites", and Ron just calls us "Queers" in his bold stupidity.  I don't know what the answer is to this, as I've tried to get something done about it, only to be ignored, so far.  I think numbers will help, however.

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=12863.0
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 08:16:52 AM »

Ken,
      Welcome to the wonderful world of "the AM Ghetto"!! Luckily, you dont usually get on till late night, well after "radio prime time". By that time most of the knuckle dragging inbreds have gotten drunk enough that they have passed out and things have quieted down!! It's usually like this most evenings unless there is a bevy of "tall ships" on to keep them at bay.

Why in the hell should anyone hate someone just because of the mode they use on the air when there are by far better reasons to ??

It is by far better down band!! You still have a few jammers and qwermers, but they are a better class of jammers and qwermers. It is also not unusual to have some mixed mode QSOs there as well.

The only way to ever quell this problem up in the "window" is to have the old long running break-in groups of tall ships that we used to have a few years ago run on all evening. (fight fire with fire) As these morons are surely not gentlemen!!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 08:21:51 AM »

Wow, a new nicname for Ken, "WET EARS"...

See you at Franks place Saturday, Ken...

I thought W8NB was given some silent time by the FCC!

Didn't know he was back on the air...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 08:43:59 AM »

Or even better yet!! SIMPLY JUST STRAP AND IGNORE!!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 09:33:14 AM »

"They hated me just because I was an AM'er"

Sounds like the title to a late Saturday nite B movie from the 50's.

Seriously, I think I heard you in that QSO Ken, but since I couldn't copy the other station on AM, I only listened to you. I think you were telling a story about renting a car without any ID at an airport in MI when I tuned by. Neat story by the way.

You sounded your usual FB self with a clean big signal and good audio.

---Dave  W3NP
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 09:46:55 AM »

Morn Ken..read ur post and..shook my head and wondered if this "Hatfield vs McCoys" thing will ever pass..being as i mostly hang on 10mtrs AM..i've encountered similar stuff along with a slightly different twist sometimes..this morning was tuning thru 75 and decided to go LSB and look around..found a group on 3.813 at 1320UTC..was gonna move on but then the "Q" turned to AM in general so i hung around..talk was about different rigs etc until one in the group mentioned someone joined them a month or two ago..nice guy nice chat until someone realized he was on AM..they weren't malicious about that but felt they had the wool pulled over their eyes so to speak..wonder if that was you Ken?..if so they had high praise for ur station/audio..nice fellas no nasty comments
           Well thought i would say something Ken as it fit what you were talking about in a way            73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 09:54:55 AM »

One of the guys (W8NB) was going on and on about the lousy audio from those AM guys.  For a brief time, a carrier came on 3892 and he blamed the wide signals from 3885, when in fact, there was no signal on 3885.  I put the digital VFO, on my AM rig, on 3982 and had a cordial conversation with W8NB for at least 10 minutes while he was on SSB and I was on AM.  At the end of the QSO I asked him to put his receiver in the AM position and mentioned that if AM audio is “trash” how come he didn’t mention it during the 10 minutes we were on.  He got really ticked off and said he refuses to talk with AM’ers and signed out with me rather quickly.  Some of his friends were “jabbing” him for being “taken”. 

Despite W8NB's (don't know him and am not related  Grin) sad knowledge of AM, sideband generation and his crowd, you did set him up.

RICK  *W3RSW*
k3sqp

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 10:19:24 AM »

I was listening to the  3892 crew the other nite and found it interesting that they
spend a lot of time listening to Am  in the "ghetto".. They seemed to know all the
regulars on Am.  They also frequent this very website.. So to Kenny(W8NB) et al  , Join in ,
put that slopbucket rig on Am and join the fun..Bye the way   we may dislike you, but we don't hate you...

hAM radio, The future is in the past...
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 10:25:07 AM »

Well, you're in good company Ken. Pretty sure this is the same group that expresses their displeasure for Don K4KYV by name and call. I used to think 'Wow, Don must've really done something to piss these guys off', but came to realize rather quickly that this wasn't the case. They're just stupid, plain and simple. True, stupidity isn't mode-specific, but they do seem to have a higher percentage per capita over AM, CW, even the SSTV doods.

After the bandwarming party and all the talk about AM European DX, these were some of the same troublemakers who moved down to 80 in attempt to jam our contacts (and harass Don). On numerous occasions they were heard referring to something 'back up on 92' and such. I firmly believe some of them read this board (the ones that can read), because as soon as we stopped referring to specific frequencies and times, they mysteriously disappeared. Maybe they just got lonely for 'their' old frequency?

Listening to them one night talk about the 'AM maggots' (pronounced 'maggits!'), one of them mentioned his living conditions: a thin mattress on the floor with the radio nearby and a view out the window of the Taco Bell up the street. Made me wonder if perhaps these guys were the origins of such classic stereotypes as 'Trailer Trash' and others. Gotta give 'em some credit though, at least they proved they can turn the big knob on the radio.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 11:06:25 AM »

I think a lot of the trash talk is more of a social thing than lack of technical knowledge or ability, at least in some of the cases and some of the QSO's.

3892 has a mix of 'true' hams and former CB'ers (the ol' adversity to AM vs. really kuhl SSB and lack of knowlege of ham history types.)

As an aside,  I'm so damn sensitive to CB lingo infecting the ham bands that "I hear you on that" sounds like fingers on blackboards to me.....  But I try to be inclusive; sometimes it's pretty hard.  After all we've all parroted stuff like "FB OM" left over from novice days and all kinds of other lingo, you name it, which probably grates on others.

We get just as much enjoyment 'trashing' the 3892 bunch as they do AM'ers.

Most ham roundtables sooner or later turn into a lowest common denominator type of thing.  Grin  Don't we know.  Who can belch the loudest.  Hey, it's fun, but has to give ammunition to the non-annointed.

In the hills you want to get along, especially on radio-quiet, low sunspot days when you have only your 75 "up" ;your limited to local contacts (fade in to dueling banjo's here) hence you join in.  But... there's the faint hope that your transmission might just be 'whirwide,' hence 2 meters is sooo dead.

I've lost friends over emission "sub-type," VJB in particular first lost one of our common friends over, of all things, east coast vs. 'regular' AM sound.  I must have been guilty by association, hence don't get 'spoken' to much either anymore.

So see ya' on 3733..  urrrrppp... (good one.)

..just heard on 3878... " I can't even spell CW anymore..."  &
 "going through all that booklet stuff.."

RICK  *W3RSW*
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 11:16:52 AM »

just coming back from first round Chemo/Radiation.

hope your feeling at least ok. wanna rap lemme know.

KA1ZGC
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 11:27:46 AM »

3892 has a mix of 'true' hams and former CB'ers (the ol' adversity to AM vs. really kuhl SSB and lack of knowlege of ham history types.)

You'd better define "'true' ham", then. The only times I've listened in on the 3892 Gay Sex Group, it's been W8NoBalls indoctrinating everyone else on the frequency on how much they're supposed to hate us all for enjoying AM operation in order to maintain his approval.

Nothing there that makes a "'true' ham", or ham of any kind, amongst a single one of them.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 12:24:20 PM »

Sounds like it was an interesting encounter up on 3892 Ken. All you can do is let stuff like that amuse you as it doesn't mean anything in the real world. Sounds like you set him up nicely!

Speaking of amusement, has anyone else run into the SSB net that has staked out 7290 as their operating frequency around noon? They are piss weak here in the northeast, but I can hear them informing anyone on AM calling CQ that the frequency is in use. Unfortunately for them, they usually inform the station while the station is transmitting. It actually sounds like a legitimate traffic net, but I can't believe they are stupid enough to think it won't get stomped on. It just seems like a strange place for a SSB traffic net to set up shop, especially when the 20 kc below 7290 is empty...

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 12:37:51 PM »

Speaking of amusement, has anyone else run into the SSB net that has staked out 7290 as their operating frequency around noon? They are piss weak here in the northeast, but I can hear them informing anyone on AM calling CQ that the frequency is in use. Unfortunately for them, they usually inform the station while the station is transmitting. It actually sounds like a legitimate traffic net, but I can't believe they are stupid enough to think it won't get stomped on. It just seems like a strange place for a SSB traffic net to set up shop, especially when the 20 kc below 7290 is empty...

What you hear is the 7290 traffic net that centers in the SW portion of the US.  Texas, NM, OK, KS, LA and AR.  It has been around for quite a few years and one time did serve a very useful purpose.  But like all old time things, they decided they owned the frequency and even reported W8VYZ a while back.  That caused some brohaw and Bill had to communicate with Riley.

Following all communications with the FCC, the net will move if someone is on 7290 when net time comes up.  However I am not sure how many people involved in that net got the message.  Here is their web site.  http://www.7290trafficnet.org/

ka3zlr
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 01:39:54 PM »

just coming back from first round Chemo/Radiation.

hope your feeling at least ok. wanna rap lemme know.

Hi TIM.. Grin yea pretty rough going bro...But I'm glad yer home too....it seems the time has come to make an appearance on 40 Derb.. all I need to get on there is a little werk...won't be hi fi but i'll capable of battle mode...and i have monitored those characters on that net, they Don't own that frequency..Sorry

W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 01:54:48 PM »

Ken:

I hate you because of your beautiful audio (to pun an old TV commercial).

Dan
W1DAN
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 01:59:35 PM »

Same sentiments and good wishes for you both.  Derb, still thinking of trying to make Frank's pharty?  Hope ya can man.

Say, I stand corrected or should I say converted...

They're still at it on 3892, 'NB presiding.
    -now they're including windbander SSB'ers in the vitriol lineup.
    and mentioned the amfone net as the nest of vipers. they do read it.
Oh, almost forgot; they're going to make up a "do not call" or "respond to"list; going to listen on 3885 and write down all the calls, that is if they get of '92 long enough.  I'm sure glad I operate on secret freq. of 80.31415926 meters/2.71828,  ooops, almost gave it away.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KA1ZGC
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 02:39:41 PM »

Oh, goodie... they are reading this thread!

Well, 3892 boys, I'll tell y'all again: W8NB is a false prophet. His religion is one of hate. His only purpose is spread misery and hope he can render someone else even more miserable and godforsaken than he is. I defy you to even use one complete hand to count the number of times he's even said anything nice about any of you, let alone anyone else.

Do you really need someone to tell you who to hate? Do any of you guys think for yourselves, seriously? If us talking to one another is so evil, how is Kenny-poo's constant, unadulterated hatred for all humanity somehow good?

Have those of you he's sent to jam (I'm thinking of you with the N3 call, and you with the 8 call) ever stopped to think that if he's so right about sending you to jam, he should have the courage of his convicitions and do it himself, rather than putting your license on the line? Or would you rather go through life being Kenny's lap-dog?

We'll never get through to Kenny. He's a lost cause. He exists purely to hate people. We've all known that for years. I hope, for your sakes, some of you someday stop and think about why you got into this hobby, what it is you're doing, and whether those two things match.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015