The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:54:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Derb is in the hospital  (Read 38364 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 11:30:08 PM »

Got a call from a surgeon tonight after I got home. They wanted my permission to run a central IV line into him since they have such a hard time trying to find his veins.  Hopefully he`s feeling much better in the morning, but I suspect he`s going to spend at least the weekend in the hospital.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 11:34:08 PM »

Hey, Why not give it to the health department and tell them it made you sick.

I am going to contact the health dep`t. on Monday. They`re not open on weekends or I`d do it tomorrow. Too much going on today to worry about it.  But yeah, I`m betting we`re not the only ones who got sick.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2009, 11:45:13 PM »

I'll bet this problem will get more common in this economy. With food places looking for any way to cut costs to survive, extending food shelf life as long as possible is going to be a growing temptation.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
ka3zlr
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 06:28:43 AM »

Holy Mackerel...Feel better soon yunns guys... Smiley

Ow wow, I haven`t heard anyone say "yunns" in like, forever!!!!!

I have taken to saying "you all", but not gone as far as to southern it up into "y`all".....not yet anyway.

LOL..Hello Mrs. Derb, hey hope yer feelen better...I had that one time it's YUK...no fun at all...but I would definitely make that call...

Jack.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009, 09:11:01 AM »

You might consider a call to the local police station or better yet TV station for help.  Oh yea, nuke them with a lawyer.
The best way to deal with a problem like that is spread the word.
You might consider a visit to the place you got the food and inform them Derb is very sick and you will drop off the bill when it comes.
WB2YGF
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009, 09:42:56 AM »

We had a Chinese restaurant in town where the health department discovered them butchering a road-kill deer.  It shut 'em down for good when word of that got out.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009, 09:51:35 AM »

If you remember back 200 to 300 years Salt and spice was used to cover the stench of rotting meat. I pretty much avoid eating meat that has been doctored unless I do it.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 10:19:04 AM »

Sorry to hear about this Mr. and Mrs. Derb! Glad you are feeling better Gloria and hope Tim is home and back to the work bench soon.

Rob

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »

Hello Gloria and Tim,

Very sorry to hear of your food poisoning illnesses. Hope Tim's isn't more serious than that. However, I'd like to give you, and others following this thread, a heads up on taking antibiotics. Overdoing it can lead to serious illness, a bacterial infection of the intestines called 'C Diff', or clostridium difficele.

In normal situations there are both good and bad bacteria in the intestines. But when too much antibacteria has been ingested it destroys the good bacteria, leaving the bad bacteria surviving alone, which causes the C Diff, which is the most virulent of all infections occurring in the digestive system, sometimes fatal.

I speak of this problem first hand. In Feb 2007 I took an antibiotic during cataract surgery. Then in March I took two successive antibiotics during dental surgery. Then in April I had major spinal surgery that involved more antibiotics. That did it. I developed a very serious level of C Diff that put me close to death and kept me in the hospital for three months. Diarrhea, going at least ten times a day for more than two weeks, with the diarrhea continuing for more than six months. I have still not totally recovered.

So, Gloria, I suggest that you closely monitor any antibotics the Drs prescribe for Tim--please don't let them give him anywhere the amount that could destroy all the good bacteria. Tim's had enough misery and doesn't deserve to get anywhere near C Diff !!!!

Get well soon, Derb,

Walt, W2DU

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 04:30:33 PM »

If you remember back 200 to 300 years Salt and spice was used to cover the stench of rotting meat. I pretty much avoid eating meat that has been doctored unless I do it.

It's no mere coincidence that cultures native to hot tropical climates tend to have a lot of spice in their diets, while diets originating from northerly latitudes tend to be bland.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 04:52:10 PM »

So, Gloria, I suggest that you closely monitor any antibotics the Drs prescribe for Tim--please don't let them give him anywhere the amount that could destroy all the good bacteria. Tim's had enough misery and doesn't deserve to get anywhere near C Diff !!!!
Walt, W2DU

Very good advice, Walt, TNX!  Man, 6 months is some bout - glad you recovered.

We had a similar experience, but with my dog, Yaz.  Yaz picked up some kind of food poisoning and was sick with the same symptoms for about four days. After the first two days I brought him to the vet. The vet gave him three types of medicines . He also added a forth - a powder type Yogurt? for an additional 2 weeks after the antibiotics. It added the good bacteria back into his system.  He recovered very quickly after the vet visit.

I eat Yogurt every day thinking it does the same thing.

Gloria: We continue to hope for the best and always look for the latest info on The Derb!

Later -

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2009, 07:48:25 PM »

Hi guys!

Well, Tim is doing better today, but still in no shape to come home.  I was informed tonight that his blood pressure was low yesterday along with everything else he had going on, due to the dehydration.  They`re probably going to try and get him up and motivating around tomorrow.

You know he`s feeling better though when he starts complaining about stuff and making typical lewd observations. Like when he complained about his catheter, he said it felt like they must have given him the John Holmes version. Cheesy

I`ll print out this thread and take it in tomorrow to show him. He`ll like that I`m sure. 

I`ll keep you all (yunns Grin) updated!!

W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2009, 08:24:23 PM »

Hi Tom,

Yer right on in using yogurt, cuz it contains good bacteria that helps fight off the bad stuff.

Walt, W2DU, Rick's OM.

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2009, 09:21:02 PM »

Crap, what a bummer.  Glo, give Timmy my best.

Wasn't too long ago we shared a pretty FB Chinese lunch w/y'all down in Richmond.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WB2YGF
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2009, 10:12:58 PM »

Hope this doesn't drive down attendance at Tom, WA3KLR's AM'ers lunch at the Easton Buffet Restaurant (Chinese) in Warrington, PA. Tongue
ka3zlr
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2009, 04:44:24 AM »

Hi guys!

Well, Tim is doing better today, but still in no shape to come home.  I was informed tonight that his blood pressure was low yesterday along with everything else he had going on, due to the dehydration.  They`re probably going to try and get him up and motivating around tomorrow.

You know he`s feeling better though when he starts complaining about stuff and making typical lewd observations. Like when he complained about his catheter, he said it felt like they must have given him the John Holmes version. Cheesy

I`ll print out this thread and take it in tomorrow to show him. He`ll like that I`m sure. 

I`ll keep you all (yunns Grin) updated!!

Ah Cool,...Derbs feelen better... Smiley

In that case, get yer Butt outta bed you ole Poop, You got werk to do... Grin

http://lunkhead.net/wavs/nyuk.wav

Jack.

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2009, 09:54:22 AM »

We had a similar experience, but with my dog, Yaz.  

It could be worse

Hope Derb feels better

Carl
/KPD

* goldfish-diarrhea.jpg (11.32 KB, 297x277 - viewed 530 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2009, 12:07:04 PM »

Glad to hear things are getting better. food poisoning is on the rise. I worked in a restaurant once and they are nasty. I got a well marinated cigarrette butt in the sauteed mushrooms once from Chinese. I guess they thought it was a stem.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2009, 04:15:18 PM »

Scary thing is, we all had Chinese food after the Richmond 'fest, and though the place looked a bit off, the food was great. Having also suffered from food poisoning (BBQed chicken in my case), I know firsthand it's incredibly BAD. So here's hoping the Derb gets out of it soon, and the culprit is found before others go through it too.

You're probably right, Tom - we'll see more of this going forward in these times. We're having trouble finding fresh meat at the grocery stores that don't say 'product of USA, Mexico, and Canada'. Food inspection is one of the few areas I'd like to see more gov't oversight and not just lip service.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WB2YGF
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2009, 04:33:15 PM »

I got a well marinated cigarrette butt in the sauteed mushrooms once from Chinese. 
....and that's one of the safer things you'll find.  Grin
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2009, 07:06:45 PM »

Tim is now out of the ICU and into a regular room.  He was actually up on his feet today even though he was pretty shaky.  he seems even better than yesterday, and he tells me that his doc wants to keep him for another day just to get the test results back and continue monitoring him, etc. So I`m thinking tomorrow or Tuesday he should be ready to come home.
W1UJR
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2009, 07:15:17 PM »

Great news!   Cheesy

Wishing you both the best!

-Bruce
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2009, 08:18:32 PM »

Yep, he`ll be back here swingin` that monkey like nobody`s biznass...... Grin
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2009, 08:19:09 PM »

I don`t even know what he hell that means, LOL!!!
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2009, 10:08:15 PM »

Glad that Tim is doing better, Gloria.  You be careful, too. Grin  Keep up the good fight.

And all these horror stories are beginning to make me wary of my local Chinese eatery.  Nothing bad from them in the years I've been eating from there, but I guess there's always a first time.

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015