The AM Forum
April 17, 2024, 10:30:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Derb is in the hospital  (Read 38336 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: March 06, 2009, 09:09:52 AM »

Sad

Hi everyone. This is Tim`s wife Gloria. I just wanted to let you all know that Tim had to be taken to the hospital this morning after collapsing in our hallway. We both ended up with a nasty case of food poisoning last night, and neither of us got much sleep at all. If you`ve ever had food poisoning, I don`t need to elaborate. Lips sealed
Anyway, it must have hit him really hard, I think he was very dehydrated and weak, he could barely walk this morning. When he came down the hall, he just collapsed and I tried for 10 minutes to get him up, but it was a no go.  I think he will be ok once they get some fluids into him, but it was still pretty scary.  I`m heading over there shortly after I can be sure the banana I just ate will stay down. Sad

I`ll keep you all updated.

Oh, yeah, I think it will be a cold day in hell before either of us eats any Chinese gain!!  BLARGH
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 09:11:28 AM »

He's in our thoughts and prayers Gloria.
Food poisoning is nasty stuff, know that first hand.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 09:15:37 AM »

All my prayers, Gloria.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 09:37:56 AM »

Sorry to hear this. Hope he's feeling better soon.

k7yoo

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:44:34 AM »

I pray you both recover very soon-you don't need this after all that you have been through-I have had similar experiences on my overseas travels.

Chinese food? 

BTW has anyone seen my cat?
Skip
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:55:07 AM »

[quote author

Chinese food? 

BTW has anyone seen my cat?
Skip
[/quote]

I think we flushed him. About a dozen times in fact.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:01:44 AM »

Here's hoping for a quick recovery...

Food Poisoning is pure misery... 

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 10:19:17 AM »

that sucks!! Good luck, and get well.
Just dont fall through your butt and hang yourself  Shocked Shocked

I had it a few years back from eating sushi!! After running from both ends for 3 days I was sure that I was gonna fall through my ass and hang myself!!

It took me at least 2 years before I could eat it again!!

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 11:14:34 AM »

Best to you both, Gloria, Tim.

After all the c..rap he's had to put up with, you sure don't need more.

Tim's tough. Sounds like your just as tough.
 Rehydration will be just the ticket.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 11:52:55 AM »

Gloria,

Give our best to Derb. Hope you both recover quickly.

Yes, food poisoning is so unfair. Especially after paying good money to them for it... Cry

I had a recent bout with it three months ago from the supermarket salad bar. It took a whole week to get over and I lost 10 pounds. I feel your pain...  Wink  It seems to be a common thing these days.

Tell the BJB we're awaiting his return.

Best wishes,

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 05:40:30 PM »

I just got back from the hospital. They`re admitting Tim into the ICU. They did a chest x ray because they were concerned he might have pneumonia because he`s not breathing well.  They also tried to do a spinal tap (yikes) but after 2 tries were unsuccessful. The doc told me they were looking for any infections such as meningitis. They are just going to treat him as if he has it, which sounds really strange to me, but the treatment is lots of antibiotics, which he needs anyway, so.....

I had no idea how bad off he really was this morning. When I got to the hospital, he was burning up, had a temp of 103, and was really just out of it. The staff kept asking me if this is normal for his mental state (HA! if they only knew his REAL mental state Tongue)  and I kept telling them he seemed fine until after eating the noxious Chinese plot to take over America. It`s like they weren`t really listening or something.

Anyway, I am going to visit him in the morning. He`s so out of it right now, and I know he really needs sleep, I didn`t want to stay too much longer. His dad was there today with him as well.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 05:43:22 PM »

I told him I posted on this board, but I don`t know if he remembers me telling him that or not. He`s in such a fog right now. But I will tell him again in the morning and I`ll tell him that you all send best wishes his way.

And yes, Frank, I will try my damnedest to NOT fall through my own ass and hang myself. Cheesy
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 05:47:36 PM »

Gloria,

Are you feeling better?  You mentioned it happened last night to both of you, so if you recover soon, maybe that's a good sign for Derb. 

It's does sound logical that's it's food poisoning since both of you got sick at the same time.  Obviously, Derb's reaction to it was more intense.

Let's hope for the best.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 05:53:38 PM »

Gloria,

Hang in there, be strong, our best to you and Derb.  We are all praying for your swift and sure recovery.... 

My wife and I were hit with that from a Chinese restaurant just two weeks ago - a restaurant we have been going to for years, but never again.  Thankfully we both recovered without medical attention.  It really knocks you out.  We hope you both have your health and strength back real soon!

Best regards,

Rick W8KHK

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 05:56:05 PM »

Gloria,

Are you feeling better?  You mentioned it happened last night to both of you, so if you recover soon, maybe that's a good sign for Derb. 

It's does sound logical that's it's food poisoning since both of you got sick at the same time.  Obviously, Derb's reaction to it was more intense.

Let's hope for the best.

T

Yes, Tom, thanks, I am feeling much better. I had lunch today at the hospital cafeteria, kept it pretty bland, and that seemed to work. Still really tired, though.  But yeah, it hit him MUCH worse than it did me, which is weird, because I got sick before he did and he started eating before I did. Only by a few minutes, though.  His immune system ain`t what it used to be, and truthfully I don`t think it was much to brag about before. He always tells me what a kick ass immune system I must have because I almost never get sick.  We both seemed to have avoided getting colds or flu this winter, but I`d take a good old fashioned head cold over what we had last night.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 06:03:08 PM »

The sooner you get sick the better off you are. Delay getting sick and the crap absorbs more into your system.

Hang in there Derb!
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 06:08:58 PM »

My wife and I were hit with that from a Chinese restaurant just two weeks ago - a restaurant we have been going to for years, but never again.  Thankfully we both recovered without medical attention.  It really knocks you out.  We hope you both have your health and strength back real soon!
Best regards,
Rick W8KHK

Rick,

I hate to say it, but I had Chinese tonight...  Shocked  Feel OK so far.

What food do you think was the culprit?  (Maybe Gloria can chime in too) 

I understand that salmanella is the most likely problem, but I'm not sure what particular food is most likely to become contaminated at a Chinese place...

T

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »

We had pepper steak with onions, and Tai chien chicken, which is a little like General Tso`s, but not nearly as spicy. We both ate the same thing.

The leftovers are still in the fridge. I want to hurl every time I open the door.......
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 06:20:42 PM »

I`m wondering if it wasn`t the pepper steak, because I didn`t care for the taste of it, and he asked me also if I thought it tasted weird. I just thought it didn`t taste right since the chicken dish was so sweet. But now I wonder.....
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 06:27:18 PM »

Rick,

I hate to say it, but I had Chinese tonight...  Shocked  Feel OK so far.

What food do you think was the culprit?  (Maybe Gloria can chime in too) 

I understand that salmanella is the most likely problem, but I'm not sure what particular food is most likely to become contaminated at a Chinese place...

T

Tom, I think it was the egg drop soup.  Kathy and I both had that, the only thing in common.  Kathy mentioned it tasted like "metal", indicating the stock was old.  We only had a taste of it, and pitched the rest, but that was enough to do us in for four days.  Don't have any interest in Chinese for a long time now.   But it can happen with any cuisine.  For a while we were avoiding peanut butter....

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
WB2YGF
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 06:50:46 PM »

WOW. tough break. Get well soon Derb!

* get_well_soon_pic.jpg (30.17 KB, 350x463 - viewed 573 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 07:58:08 PM »

Hey, Why not give it to the health department and tell them it made you sick.
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 07:58:48 PM »

The leftovers are still in the fridge. I want to hurl every time I open the door.......

So Derb, you haven't considered warming up the leftovers just to be sure that the pepper steak is the culprit???  Grin

---Dave  W3NP
ka3zlr
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 08:16:44 PM »

Holy Mackerel...Feel better soon yunns guys... Smiley
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 11:27:25 PM »

Holy Mackerel...Feel better soon yunns guys... Smiley

Ow wow, I haven`t heard anyone say "yunns" in like, forever!!!!!

I have taken to saying "you all", but not gone as far as to southern it up into "y`all".....not yet anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015