The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:11:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Collins 20V2 that had better days YEARS ago  (Read 9162 times)
wx3k
Contributing

Vintage Ham Gear Enthusiast

« on: February 10, 2009, 10:38:18 PM »

I have some questions about this...

The tuner network shows my markings in red....what do you think happened to cause the mess in this transmitter ?

Also, the plate transformer looks like it was replaced. True ?

* Yuck1.jpg (106.04 KB, 840x638 - viewed 1180 times.)

* Yuck2.jpg (118.65 KB, 638x840 - viewed 1123 times.)

* PlateXfmr1.jpg (103.8 KB, 638x840 - viewed 1146 times.)

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 12:56:27 AM »

The mess in the top tuning section could have been caused by an exploding capacitor.  This sort of thing happens from time to time, particularly during lightening hits.  Or, it could have been some other component, or a rodent's nest.  I've seen it all in old BC transmitters  Smiley

The mess below could be fallout from above, dripping down.

Otherwise, it's really not that bad.  It could be a lot worse, that's for sure.  The key is lack of water damage.  If the transmitter didn't get wet on the inside, there is a high likelyhood of your getting it working.  Water damage?  That's bad.  Or heavy dampness for a long time.  Transformers start failing, things short out - not good.

The power transformer may have been replaced.  That is not necessarily a problem, as long as the replacement is of sufficient voltage and current for the job.  The important iron is in the modulator section.  Everything else is really not a big deal to replace if need be.

Is this your transmitter, or one you are looking at for possible purchase?

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 01:28:41 AM »

No, not my transmitter Steve. I was considering it but there are a lot of missing parts as you can see including the modulation reactor. Yes, whatever melted did drip down through the transmitter. You can trace the path from the tuner network down through to the bottom. All in all, a disappointment for me.   Sad   I want to find a 20v2 that is complete and not cannibalized like this one was.

The mess in the top tuning section could have been caused by an exploding capacitor.  This sort of thing happens from time to time, particularly during lightening hits.  Or, it could have been some other component, or a rodent's nest.  I've seen it all in old BC transmitters  Smiley

The mess below could be fallout from above, dripping down.

Otherwise, it's really not that bad.  It could be a lot worse, that's for sure.  The key is lack of water damage.  If the transmitter didn't get wet on the inside, there is a high likelyhood of your getting it working.  Water damage?  That's bad.  Or heavy dampness for a long time.  Transformers start failing, things short out - not good.

The power transformer may have been replaced.  That is not necessarily a problem, as long as the replacement is of sufficient voltage and current for the job.  The important iron is in the modulator section.  Everything else is really not a big deal to replace if need be.

Is this your transmitter, or one you are looking at for possible purchase?

Regards,

Steve

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:21:18 AM »

Too bad about the condition,  particularly the missing parts  Sad   Maybe if you can get it for free.  Hate to see the old rig in the dump!

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 10:16:54 AM »

Too bad about the condition,  particularly the missing parts  Sad   Maybe if you can get it for free.  Hate to see the old rig in the dump!

Anyone contemplating TRASHING a rig, let me know...  I'd the the first one to show up, 50 foot flatbed in tow, to bring it home.

Even chassis are worth somethin Wink

--Shane
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 10:18:23 AM »

It would at least make a spare parts rig if you found a clean one to restore.  If it's free for the taking I wouldn't pass it up, or otherwise, I would at least look for another taker before it goes to the dump or metal recycler.  The plate transformer and mod transformer would be valuable spares, or someone could use them for building a homebrew  rig.

The removable rf modules in the junked 20V could be used as the foundation to homebrew a complete set of custom ham band replacements, while the originals are stored away in case there is ever any reason to return the restored transmitter back to original.

I was given a BTA1-R in much worse shape than that.  It had heavy water damage from a leaky roof directly over the transmitter for over a year before I removed it from the station.  I got the mod reactor and (replacement) plate xfmr, but the mod xfmr was gone, and so were all the tubes.  I parted it out, and purchased some sheet metal blades for my skillsaw and cut the unibody cabinet into separate pieces, saving the sheet metal panels for future homebrew projects.  There was a lot of corrosion, but most of the parts were salvageable.  One of the times when Dale, VE3AAM stopped by here, he wanted the front door, which still had the big red RCA logo and was good condition, so I let him have it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 10:35:25 AM »

Yes, this is exactly what I told the owner, it is a good for parts rig. The offer was to buy him a cup of coffee and remove the transmitter to relieve his mental anguish. He told me he hated the 20v2. Grin

It would at least make a spare parts rig if you found a clean one to restore.  If it's free for the taking I wouldn't pass it up, or otherwise, I would at least look for another taker before it goes to the dump or metal recycler.  The plate transformer and mod transformer would be valuable spares, or someone could use them for building a homebrew  rig.

The removable rf modules in the junked 20V could be used as the foundation to homebrew a complete set of custom ham band replacements, while the originals are stored away in case there is ever any reason to return the restored transmitter back to original.

I was given a BTA1-R in much worse shape than that.  It had heavy water damage from a leaky roof directly over the transmitter for over a year before I removed it from the station.  I got the mod reactor and (replacement) plate xfmr, but the mod xfmr was gone, and so were all the tubes.  I parted it out, and purchased some sheet metal blades for my skillsaw and cut the unibody cabinet into separate pieces, saving the sheet metal panels for future homebrew projects.  There was a lot of corrosion, but most of the parts were salvageable.  One of the times when Dale, VE3AAM stopped by here, he wanted the front door, which still had the big red RCA logo and was good condition, so I let him have it.

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 11:03:46 AM »

Yes, this is exactly what I told the owner, it is a good for parts rig. The offer was to buy him a cup of coffee and remove the transmitter to relieve his mental anguish. He told me he hated the 20v2. Grin

I take it he declined your offer.  Sometimes people have an inflated idea of the $$ value of their "junk".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 11:32:45 AM »

I knew he would. When he said "These transmitters shine up well and can be worth a lot", I knew he was thinking bucks ! I cant get interested about equipment that looks so neglected.

I take it he declined your offer.  Sometimes people have an inflated idea of the $$ value of their "junk".

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015