The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:52:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson CB rigs  (Read 2777 times)
John K5PRO

« on: March 01, 2009, 03:00:40 AM »

At the Black Hole junkyard yesterday I saw some old CB radios FS. Johnson Messinger 123A, solid state mobile, and a Messinger2, with tubes. Are these worth anything for conversion to 10 meters? There was a Midland and Lafayette as well. These were all 23 channel radios, with both channel selector switches and variable tuning.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 01:04:29 PM »

If it's in reasonable/complete shape, the Messenger II is worth grabbing, John. Someone was just asking about one of these in the tech forum recently. There's a lot of info on the 'net for converting your Johnson to 10 meters, too. Wink

Can't remember for sure, but it might only be a 10-12 channel transmitter. The Messenger I was 4 or 5.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
John K5PRO

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 02:05:08 AM »

I got the Black-Faced Johnson today. Its kind of classy having the same screen mesh cover and paint job that the big Johnsons had. And hollow state inside as well. I read the reports from others converting them to 10 meters and improving the audio greatly. Not sure what i will do with it, but the price was right.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 09:39:58 PM »

Johnson didn't differentiate by service from all I've seen, John. At least, not until the 70s-80s when they eventually went more with imported stuff for 11. The II is a nice piece of gear, albeit limited by frequency coverage. Ten will be back, someday....

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015