The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:55:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yo, the 8 gangsters - dont let this get scrapped or torn apart.  (Read 20277 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: February 06, 2009, 12:51:03 AM »

How about a couple 8 land amers step up to the plate and buy this HB rig? Whomever his guys uncle was, he's looking down on you beggin you to save his rig.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=320337829813

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 08:38:28 AM »

I WISH that was within driving distance....

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:53:53 PM »

if I was well I would go up and get it. I went down to TN years ago to rescue a HB rig made by W4DEK in my little pick up truck. Rig now sits in Slab's Basement, safe and warm, and I make goo goo eyes at it everytime I go there.  Grin  Got to visit Don KYV which was awesome.

I wish I had my HB rig back.  Undecided  I should ask the guy ifn he'll sell it back to me. I dont think he's ever used it. Sent me a picture some years back.
W8EJO

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 05:49:12 PM »

Derb

I could maybe deliver it to you April 9 on my way to DC if you bid & win. I have a Ford F250 & it should fit.

Terry
W8EJO

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »

thats gotta be the nastiest looking heap in a while Shocked
some of the inside parts look usable though, good xformers
could strip it down and make something nice with it
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 09:29:32 PM »

Oh, Blaine, I just cannot figure out why you can't see the potential of a resurrection
Of a old buzzard rig that was the pride and joy of it's original owner? Well I suppose you would have to use your way back machine to appreciate it.  I must be at age 67 suffering the generation gap  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 10:33:32 PM »

I would save it mostly as is - and restore whats needed to be restored. If'n the OM did anything really dumb or ham handed I'll fix that.

Terry, if you can do that, I'll bid on it. And I'll bring it back on air looks like a good 160 rig to me.

confirm and I'll bid on it. I'm right on the way to dc from you.  Cool Treat ya to a lunch buffet at the racetrack.  Cool
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 11:27:17 PM »

thats gotta be the nastiest looking heap in a while Shocked
some of the inside parts look usable though, good xformers
could strip it down and make something nice with it

I disagree with stripping it. That rig has some very good features such as separate high voltage supplies for modulator and RF stages and UTP wiring. A pair of 808's will make a 150-200W carrier, CCS.

If it were put back together, it would be a first class rig. It could be preserved and kept as an example of the Amateur Radio work of the day. Examples like that are being lost too frequently. The fact that this was used in an attic makes it even more interesting. It was possibly built in the attic.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KB3DKS

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 02:49:36 AM »

That rig looks way to well built to be just a "Home Brew". The Iron  appears to be entirely UTC "S" series.
 I bet dollars to donuts the entire transmitter design could be found in a UTC catalog or supplement of the period. Like Stancor, Kenyon and Thordarson with their Ham Manuals detailing rigs built exclusivly with their Iron.  UTC was premium stuff and most of the Radio Handbooks that I have seen utilized the latter three mfg. transformers.
 Hope it goes to a good home !

Bill, KB3DKS in 1 Land
W8EJO

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 05:40:39 AM »

Terry, if you can do that, I'll bid on it. And I'll bring it back on air looks like a good 160 rig to me.
confirm and I'll bid on it. I'm right on the way to dc from you.  Cool Treat ya to a lunch buffet at the racetrack.  Cool
\\

Derb
I'll deliver if you win the bid. I'm an hour an a half from Motown so not too far & like you say, you are on my way to DC. Keep in mind I'll be making the DC trip on April 10th so you'll have a wait.

PM me if you win.

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
W1UJR
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 06:58:49 AM »

Neat rig, appears to be missing one of the decks right above the power supply.

But certainly worth saving, if you don't have time to restore now, good future project.

I agree with Bill, looks like one of the transformer manufacturers rigs, built from kit plans.
Good way to sell xformers!

The front panel appears to be masonite, interesting choice, I have a rig here, which I picked up from Carl 1KPD, with the same type of front panel, also appears to be one of the xformer kit rigs.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 12:59:33 PM »

Hope you guys can save that rig.  So far, zero bids, and there was the one in MD, IIRC, that got no bids and I believe a member of this list was able to pick it up directly from the owner after the auction closed.

Masonite rack panels were a standard item back in the 30's and perhaps  late 40's.  A Depression-era alternative to a real metal panel I suppose.

Last time I  checked, you could still buy tempered Masonite at the big box building supply stores, so it should be easy to roll you own for an authentic restoration.

What I find most neat is those solid sheets of bakelite that were used for panels in the 20's and early 30's.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w1vtp

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 08:40:09 PM »

That black crinkle is such a work of art!!!!!!!!!
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 12:19:52 AM »

the UTC "special" series were the low cost ham grade line of units - having said that there's nothing wrong with them,
but they dont pass muster with the VM series or the LS series. They were (and are) low cost units for hams.

I rebuilt the S22 mod transformer in the W4DEK rig, and the subwiring/terminal arrangement is subject to dry rot with
insulation troubles below the outside terminal board as a result.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 12:59:00 AM »

Neat rig, appears to be missing one of the decks right above the power supply.

speech amp?  It might be able to be duplicated more or less, if the right style of vintage parts could be found.

Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 08:41:58 AM »

There's one bid now.

The fellow has included a link to AMfone in his description...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 09:17:22 AM »

thats not me. I just hope whomever gets it restores it and puts it back on the air.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 03:42:16 PM »

the UTC "special" series were the low cost ham grade line of units - having said that there's nothing wrong with them, but they dont pass muster with the VM series or the LS series. They were (and are) low cost units for hams.

About the same quality as the Thordarson, Stancor and other "ham radio" quality transformers.

The early S-series transformers were not even potted in tar, but dry-mounted inside a hollow case with ventilation louvres on the sides.  These were basically open-frame transformers with a protective metal shroud.

Their power, voltage and current ratings were for intermittent service, like the ICAS ratings for tubes, not for continuous duty like the CCS ratings for tubes.  This is made clear in the UTC catalogues and literature of the era.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 09:35:32 PM »

well, I'm out. logistics and price. I hope whomever gets it will restore it and make it even better, most importantly, put it back on the air.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 08:53:32 AM »

The early S-series transformers were not even potted in tar, but dry-mounted inside a hollow case with ventilation louvres on the sides.  These were basically open-frame transformers with a protective metal shroud.

They sure are cooling looking. It would be worth getting the rig just for those transformers.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 12:51:20 PM »

well, I'm out. logistics and price. I hope whomever gets it will restore it and make it even better, most importantly, put it back on the air.

So far, after all those bids, it's only up $16 from starting bid.  But look out the last two minutes.

- - -
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 07:28:56 PM »

I saved all the hi-rez images for hysterical reasons. some 1600x1200, etc

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 08:24:30 PM »

So far, after all those bids, it's only up $16 from starting bid.  But look out the last two minutes.

Bidding like this makes me yawn. Took the second bidder six tries (at $2 a bid (Huh)) to get over the first bidder. The serious players, if there are any, will probably come in at the eleventh hour in 2 1/2 days from now and blow these 3 current bidders away.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009, 12:55:36 AM »

I saved all the hi-rez images for hysterical reasons. some 1600x1200, etc

yeah, I saved all the big pix too.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2009, 02:02:19 PM »

Well it sold. I wonder who got lucky?  I hope it went to a ham rather that a parterouter.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015