8935 tube - good for anything?

(1/5) > >>

Opcom:
My friend found in the back of some warehouse a big electrical machine of some kind that has an 8935 / YD1185 in it. He does not know what it is. The tube and whatever else is in the RF section is behind shields with all kinds of ominous warnings about dangerous voltages. I tried to ask if it has a pair of copper bus bars or copper pipes coming out (induction or dielectric heater) or if it had an RF connector (RF source for plasma) but he did not know. Has anyone messed with an 8935? From the curves in the datasheet I do not know if it would be a good amplifier. It is intended as an oscillator. an EME's dream anyway. STRAP the moon.

I don't know if we can get it or not. It is too powerful for me I will admit that right now. It also is probably heavy but there is a forklift..

Steve - WB3HUZ:
Strap the moon and anyone else!

Opcom:
looking at the plate curves, isn't the tube un-linear in some respects for amplifier use, or does that not matter too much? anyway the grid dissipation is huge on it. be hard to burn it out. I want to get some pictures of the thing..

K1ZJH:
175 amps @ 7 volts just to light the filament!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Opcom:
Today I had the priviledge to poke about in another warehouse. This one the lair of the aforementioned electrical machine. The place was mostly full of old lathes and mills and tools and weird 3-wheel scooter carts and out in the yard was a giant forklift bigger than a deuce and a half.

The machine was appropriately in a dark corner beside a pile of diesel fuel cans and a filing cabinet. Anyway, the tube is a 4CX15000. The date code or whatever, was 8935. ahem.. Never send the electroplating power supply repair gentleman to do the radio repair gentlemans' work.. But my friend has an eye for the finest goods.

The first things that jumped out at me were the very large 3-phase transformer with diode stack and what looks like an oversized bleeder stack on top, the decent size oil cap, and the whole deck of electronics, looks like too much just to power the 4CX15000. Also, no plate coil or cap, or other noticeable circuit. Indeed the anode of the tube is connected to the power supply. After inserting head and flashlight into the belly of the beast, the RG-8-like coaxial cable emerging from the unit seems to also be connected to one side of the oil cap.

I do not know what I have here. I see a 4CX15000, air sytem, and more little stuff than a 4CX15000 needs. Is something missing? Nothing seems to have been removed. No control head and no local controls. Is this an old electron beam power supply? Maybe the pictures will give a clue. The only mark on the unit is "Telemark Industries" and that leads here to the correct logo: http://www.tfi-telemark.com/. I don't know what to do about this but it is interesting. The class A series modulator from hades? I have the sense to not buy it, I think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands