The AM Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:13:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navigator Meter Face Reproduction - Finally!  (Read 14451 times)
W2FAL
« on: December 04, 2008, 01:17:20 PM »

I have finally finished, with a little help from my friends, a reproduction of a Navigator meter face.  I have two versions - one with a tinted background and one that is white.  The tinted background is an attempt to have it look aged, but I'm not sure it is necessary once it is seen through the plastic meter cover.  I have a small quantity printed on matte photo paper that is adhesive-backed.  I'm hoping that was a good idea, as I haven't actually tried it yet.  The reproduction should fit nicely, with some trimming, on an Emico meter, which is what I believe the original meter was.

If you have a need, and for as long as they last, I can mail you one of each meter face or just the one of your choice.  If your address is not good at QRZ.com, send me the correct info.  I can email the file to you, but it was done in Microgrfx Designer, Ver. 7 and it is in a .dsf file format, so make sure you can open that type of file.  I also have it as a .jpg file, but the quality is not nearly as good.

Frank, W2FAL
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:32:03 PM »

Is it possible to save it as something other than a JPEG? That format is not good for line drawings (tends to smear sharp edges). Is something like TIFF, BMP or even PDF possible?
W2FAL
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 08:52:19 PM »

Steve:

I'll see what I can do about getting the file output in the other formats.  I don't have the software available to me any longer, but I have a contact who may be able to do this.

I will advise.

Frank, W2FAL
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 09:15:37 PM »

TNX. Thanks for providing the service!
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 12:41:47 PM »

Frank sent me a couple copies of his work and they look good...

The meter used with the Navigator is a ringer for the EMICO ( Electrical-Mechinacial Instrument Co, Perkasie, PA) # 2326,  0 to 10 Ma.  range... 

Now to find one of these gems  (2.5" Sq Plastic face, 2" round body with clamp mounting) and my Navigator should look original...

Has anyone  found a source for that meter?

I have a query out to Caltronics in CA but no answer yet.

Thanks Frank...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
W2FAL
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 10:50:47 AM »

I now have the file available in tif and bmp formats.  The bmp file is huge, so it has been zipped for emailing.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 08:35:34 PM »

The files can now be found at the following link.  Enjoy.

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/navigatormeter.htm
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 08:43:50 PM »

Okay, fine, now to find a source of the meter its self !

As I stated earlier, EMICO #2326 (0 to 10ma) or the 0 to 1ma version with a proper shunt.

My query to Caltronics was never answered but they are listed as an EMICO dealer.

Steve, for the size of the meter face, the JPEG file was just fine...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015