The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:29:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just orderd me a bit of strap  (Read 27974 times)
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2009, 10:24:16 PM »

On the one hand, this is excellent news because it means the conditions I am seeing are normal.  On the other hand, I am ticked at Ameritron for not putting this information in the manual.  Seems kind of strange they would intentionally get the turns ratio wrong at 125V, but the least they could do is "fess up", particularly when it appears the unit will not make full power as advertised at a typical 120V input line on the 125V tap as shipped.

I was going to get a Variac and take some measurements at reduced voltage, but then I realized that I can't make any sense of the schematic they provide.  They show one stage of the HVDC filter cap circuit completely shorted out.  I can't believe it's actually wired this way.  Has anyone ever done a mark-up of this schematic to make it intelligible?

I really don't think you need to do any troubleshooting or testing on the PS. The 125V tap and your 120V line voltage along with perhaps a slightly out of spec multiplier resistor are probably the reason for your lower than expected indicated plate voltage. I did take a look at the schematic that is in the on-line manual from Ameritron. That manual was dated 1995 and I would think that they would have fixed that error by now as they do show C124 shorted out.

* AL80ps.doc (36.5 KB - downloaded 208 times.)

---Dave  W3NP
WB2YGF
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2009, 10:59:49 PM »

In the attic, I have a DX60B in unknown working condition. 
I just got the recap kit for the DX60B.  I also got a manual for it.  The guy I got the manual from does nice repro work at about 1/2 the price I have seen elsewhere.  Comb binding with heavy sheet protector plastic covers over heavy paper covers. I don't want to mention his call due to the recent Heath copyright issues.  I don't want to see him shut down.  PM me if you need a Heath manual and are interested.
wx3k
Contributing

Vintage Ham Gear Enthusiast

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2009, 11:20:15 PM »

Smiley Wonderful, so this means I will hear you on the DX-60 net soon with your DX-60B, right ?

In the attic, I have a DX60B in unknown working condition. 
I just got the recap kit for the DX60B.  I also got a manual for it.  The guy I got the manual from does nice repro work at about 1/2 the price I have seen elsewhere.  Comb binding with heavy sheet protector plastic covers over heavy paper covers. I don't want to mention his call due to the recent Heath copyright issues.  I don't want to see him shut down.  PM me if you need a Heath manual and are interested.

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
WB2YGF
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2009, 11:34:14 PM »

Smiley Wonderful, so this means I will hear you on the DX-60 net soon with your DX-60B, right ?
I don't know about "soon".  I have no idea what might need fixin'.  This is not my original DX60. 

I don't even remember how I got this.  I think I traded something for it.  Huh  I also need a Dowkey relay to switch the antenna. (There is one on eBay for $233 - they are out of their minds!!)
WQ9E

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2009, 06:55:49 AM »

You only need a Dow Key relay for bragging rights at the DX-60 power level, a regular DPDT relay with 120 volt coil available from numerous places for less than $10 including Radio Shack will  work just fine.  I use this type of relay for T/R switching on most of my low and medium power vintage gear and move up to vacuum relays for the legal limit stuff.  I have a couple of pieces of gear using Dow Key relays because it came with them but I would not go out of my way to find one, especially at collector pricing.

You can mount the relay in a small project box and use that to mount connectors for coax hookup or at the DX-60 level you can use RG-58 which is small and flexible enough to easily solder directly to the relay contacts with appropriate coax connectors on the other end.  I imagine many DX-60 stations originally sported manual T/R switching for that classic novice "high involvement" feel.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015