The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:37:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very early ham radio  (Read 2894 times)
WQ9E

« on: January 05, 2009, 11:33:16 PM »

I have been scanning some of the more interesting articles in my recently acquired Radio and Television News magazine collection.  The attached scans are of a very early amateur station and nicely describes what radio was like in the days of spark.  Due to the size of the attached images this will continue over several posts.

Rodger WQ9E

* p1.jpg (542.16 KB, 1161x1627 - viewed 427 times.)

* p2.jpg (579.11 KB, 1150x1625 - viewed 422 times.)

* p3.jpg (501.73 KB, 1111x1636 - viewed 379 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 11:34:48 PM »

Second part of article:

* p4.jpg (555.92 KB, 1144x1629 - viewed 396 times.)

* p5.jpg (596.75 KB, 1159x1631 - viewed 392 times.)

* p6.jpg (561.89 KB, 1142x1619 - viewed 391 times.)

Rodger WQ9E
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 12:01:59 AM »

Sorry off topic but - on the last page the San Fran Surplus ad is a hoot - 2 dollar Novice Band and 3885 crystals and $1.50 BC-375 Tuning Units with those beautiful verniers, coils and caps. Man I wonder how many thousands were parted out?

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 04:30:14 AM »

A recurring article that you might find of interest while looking through those old Radio & Television New mags warns readers of an alleged "tube rebranding racket".  Supposedly, "fraudsters" were grabbing up all the used tubes they could find and reselling them by mail-order at discount prices.  The crusaders for morality and honesty were urging everyone to gather up all their used tubes that happened to be lying around and sending them to a certain address, where they would be promptly destroyed to make sure they didn't fall into the hands of "crooks". 

I don't recall whether or not the crusaders offered any money for the tubes they collected, but I wouldn't have been surprised to discover that those people were "rebranders" themselves, looking for a cheap supply of tubes to add to their stock.  If they really did destroy the tubes as promised, that must have taken many a good used and new old stock tube out of circulation, which I  suspect was the real motive behind the movement, in order to boost the sales of new tubes by the major manufacturers.  What a shame that perfectly good tubes, many already on the unobtainium list, might have gone to the crusher at the urging of those jerks.

The "rebranders" were merely resellers of used tubes.  I used to see their ads in magazines like Popular Electronics, and had ordered from them myself.  They offered tubes, guaranteed to be good, at a fraction of the retail price of new ones.  I  remember one company that sold their tubes in new boxes adorned with the logo "Standard Brand".  The original company logo (RCA, Sylvania, etc) stamped on the tubes, was not removed, but left intact.  Those vendors weren't charlatans out to rip anybody off. They simply were in the business of reselling surplus tubes, no different from the tube vendors that we find in business to-day.  The major manufacturers just didn't want the competition, so they were urging radio/TV service technicians to  remove surplus tubes off the market for them.

A similar campaign was run in the same magazine to rid America of the evil of carbon filament light bulbs!  Supposedly, those old bulbs, which were known to sometimes run daily for a half century or longer without burning out, caused TVI due to a negative resistance effect with the carbon filament, which caused them to go into self oscillation in the VHF range.  The crusaders in this cause offered to exchange, free of charge, one-for-one, any carbon filament bulb with a brand new tungsten filament bulb of modern (short-lived) design.  TV repairmen nationwide were urged to collect the bulbs from their customers.  They promised to put all the carbon filament bulbs they received into a crusher, to make sure they would never interfere with another television, ever again.

That must have taken many of the antique pear-shaped bulbs from the early 1900's with the evacuation tit at the end of the glass envelope out of circulation to be needlessly destroyed.  A few years ago a vendor at Dayton was selling those old bulbs as collectors' items.  Bulbs with good filaments were going for about $30 each.

If anyone runs across one of those articles, please scan it and post it here, or send me an e-mail copy.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WQ9E

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 08:10:06 AM »

Don,

I will have to find the issue again but there is one in Radio and TV News written by the security department of General Electric.  When the "perp" was caught he had a number of rubber stamps cut to provide the various branding information. 

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015