The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:06:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The SS-B Closes In  (Read 37886 times)
WB2YGF
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2009, 07:18:30 PM »

Putting so much value on proficiency in one single mode across the board is not logical any more.
You bring up a point I was going to bring up.  Why is one mode so important?  There are many modes that Hams use to communicate with.  Should we kick the old timers off the band because they don't have a clue about digital modes or solid state or binary, or DSP?  How 'bout retesting old timers like they do to keep a drivers license?  How many old timers learned the code just to pass the test, never to use CW again and can't even copy code any more?  Let me tell you, it's probably 80%

I knew several Technicians who were on the cutting edge in UHF & microwave communications but they forgot the code and had no desire to upgrade to operate HF.  Does that make them bad Hams?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the reason hams are allowed to get an HF license without CW is that it was agreed to in one of the last WARC conventions.  The FCC is not to blame. The whole world agreed it was no longer relevant.

The last time I prepared for the Extra I had to learn all the special rules regarding operation from space.  How relevant is that?  How many of us are going into space?  (I passed the Extra but never got around to taking the code element.)

The biggest danger to Ham radio is not lowering the bar.  The biggest danger is if we become an ever smaller circle of self centered elitists to the point where Ham Radio is no longer relevant and can't justify the spectrum allocated.  Then the FCC will auction it off to the highest bidder and we all lose.
ka3zlr
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2009, 07:24:01 PM »

Everybody's Different...Different opinions are good....accept everyone on their own level...

Click's are bad...falling into and being directed by...

Individuality Man...some people just can't handle it... Grin

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2009, 08:05:23 PM »

Putting so much value on proficiency in one single mode across the board is not logical any more.
You bring up a point I was going to bring up.  Why is one mode so important?  There are many modes that Hams use to communicate with.  Should we kick the old timers off the band because they don't have a clue about digital modes or solid state or binary, or DSP?  How 'bout retesting old timers like they do to keep a drivers license?  How many old timers learned the code just to pass the test, never to use CW again and can't even copy code any more?  Let me tell you, it's probably 80%

I knew several Technicians who were on the cutting edge in UHF & microwave communications but they forgot the code and had no desire to upgrade to operate HF.  Does that make them bad Hams?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the reason hams are allowed to get an HF license without CW is that it was agreed to in one of the last WARC conventions.  The FCC is not to blame. The whole world agreed it was no longer relevant.

The last time I prepared for the Extra I had to learn all the special rules regarding operation from space.  How relevant is that?  How many of us are going into space?  (I passed the Extra but never got around to taking the code element.)

The biggest danger to Ham radio is not lowering the bar.  The biggest danger is if we become an ever smaller circle of self centered elitists to the point where Ham Radio is no longer relevant and can't justify the spectrum allocated.  Then the FCC will auction it off to the highest bidder and we all lose.

Hear Hear! The thought of "kicking OT's off" because they never bothered to, or wanted to, learn today's new high-tech is totally abhorrent to me. And individuals we are. Some more than others, but that's no measure until the task requires one or the other. "A poor man is a nut. A rich man an eccentric"! With all the blather, and the soundbytes, etc, I'd like to throw this little related scrap of paper out on the table, showing that appliance operators (yes we might as well drag them into this, because they might come to this site for some advice..) have also been around for decades, at least since the NOV 1964 QST article discussed connecting a Heathkit panoramic adapter to the Haughty Appliance of Old.  - and that they should not be disparaged against either, as long as they are doing what's right when we meet them out along the wireless.

* untitled.jpg (55.63 KB, 500x220 - viewed 557 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2009, 09:02:52 PM »

First off, I have received no PMs from you whatsoever, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Second, using phrases such as "taking advantage of the system" suggests that you regard me (or anyone not licensed before you) as a second-class citizen. It's very patronizing. I assure you, sir, I "took advantage" of absolutely nothing to get my license. My license is every bit as valid as yours.

As far as the advice offer goes, you can keep it. I'll take my advice from those that can treat others with some respect.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

I apologize KA1ZGC, I had you confused with another KA Zed AM ham that PM'ed me for advice. My comments were directed in answer to his PM and your post., so I understand your confusion and getting excited.

I do not assume any of the things you conceive I do. Some of the generalizations we make shouldn't be taken so serious, like the reference to slopbucket or boatanchor. it doesn't mean the operator of either is inferior to the other. Recently I was in qso on AM at 3875 and one of the group says, "I think i will pullthe plug on this boatanchor and go up to 3890 and operate a little slopbucket. No one was offended.

I understand there are some AM'ers that will not continue a qso if one of the newer AM hams joins in ... but that is not me. Most of my qso's are with hams running modern solid state gear Asian made gear or riceboxes as we call them. it doesn't mean the operator is inferior or not as smart as the guy running boatanchors or homebrew, because some of the best old time electronics communications engineers I know run all modern gear.

I use the term welfare ticket simply meaning no code, it doesn't mean you did not work for it, it just means you didn't have to bother with the code that eliminated many from upgrading in the old days. it is a gift compared to the old ways.

Wow,
Who are these creepy hams?  Callsigns???  Glad my elmers did not have that attitude. 
WB2YGF
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2009, 09:09:31 PM »

Let's face it.  All these antique Johnsons, Hallicrafters, Hammerlund and Collins rigs we lovingly restore, were once shiny new appliances purchased by some OT or SK Ham (who had to learn the code, BTW).  Even the broadcast transmitters are basically big appliances.  Appliance operation goes back to the first commercially available equipment.  There were always Hams who were proficient enough to fix their own stuff, and those who weren't and paid others to do it.  Hams that were poor and HAD to make due and scrounge what they could, and rich Hams who always HAD to have the top of the line. Not much has changed, except high quality equipment is a whole lot cheaper than it was in the old days.  Grin

That being said, I have to say, I am impressed with the knowledge that people on this forum have gained by working on this old stuff, and it's kind of sad that modern "appliances" are so complex, microscopic, and difficult to comprehend, that the next generation may never know the pleasure of being able to maintain their own equipment.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2009, 09:51:06 PM »

I can recall in the early 60's when hams who came on the air with Valiants and Globe Kings were derided by old timers as "appliance operators".  Kit builders were just one small notch above appliance operators.  Those who put surplus gear on the air commanded a little more respect because it usually took some improvising and technical skill to get a piece of army or navy gear operational in a ham station.

But nearly everyone used store-bought receivers, except for those who converted surplus.  It was extremely rare to hear someone say they had a homebrew receiver. A factory-built receiver was much less a sin.

I always found it much more interesting to hear a  ham give a description of his station when there was something unique about how he put it together or what the tube lineup in the homebrew transmitter was, than just to hear someone rattle off the same make and model number you have heard a thousand times before.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KA1ZGC
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2009, 08:41:42 AM »

I apologize KA1ZGC, I had you confused with another KA Zed AM ham that PM'ed me for advice. My comments were directed in answer to his PM and your post., so I understand your confusion and getting excited.

Ah. That explains it.

In that case, there's no need for an apology, and no hard feelings. We were simply caught in a miscommunication, which fortunately we've cleared up.

It was extremely confusing, though... I would have thought the 25 kilowatt single-phase power supply in my avatar was a dead giveaway.

I use the term welfare ticket simply meaning no code, it doesn't mean you did not work for it, it just means you didn't have to bother with the code that eliminated many from upgrading in the old days. it is a gift compared to the old ways.

I assume (or at least hope) that by "you" you are not referring to me personally, as I've already stated that I never held a no-code ticket of any kind (not bragging, just stating facts).

As I said before, things aren't even the way they were when I got licensed 18 years ago. However, some of the worst lids I can think of offhand have been around long enough that they would have had to appear before the FCC for their exams. For every case of "the whole thing went to hell with the VE program", there's at least one case of "even the FCC didn't stop this clown getting licensed". It's an easy thing to lament, but I think it gets more credit/blame than it deserves.

I've gone on very long tirades in the past on our willingess to embrace and assist newcomers being on the wane, and its effects on ham radio, so I won't go into it again here (as the whole board shouts "thank you" in unison). Suffice to say I think that plays a much larger role.

Anyway... this is all off-topic. Sorry for the detour, guys.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »

FWIW, I sometimes feel that this whole lisence class system tries to create a social heirarchy among hams. Somewhat a "caste" system if you would. this really is bull$#%t!! We should all be a "kindred spirit" and stick together for the good of us all. That "brotherhood" just doesnt seem to exist, except in small groups here and there. Lisence classing sometimes makes that worse as some have upgraded just for the bragging rights.

I would have never bothered to upgrade had it not been for the new "phone band expansion" and many of my friends moving "down band" to escape some of the congestion up in the "AM window". As a general (or novice as well) I could design / build / or repair equipment as good as anyone else out there. I was always willing to help out anyone that came to me looking for help.

Where this is leading to is another "whats wrong with this picture" story.

Some years ago when I was a lowly novice, I had a friend that was an extra and a VE. He used to bring me his cables to put connectors on them. He would always call me for advice and explanations of how to operate his equipment.

If anything it should have been the other way around!!
Henceforth: "Whats wrong with this picture??".....................................

This further goes to prove that code proficiency and the ability to remember the answers to questions about operating from space have no bearing on the ability of one to operate a radio properly!!

the Slab Bacon

And, er, furthermore............... IIRC, you can only transmit from space it you are an extra!! so therefor all of the astronauts that did the space shuttle thing were granted extra calls without any of the testing required of us!! So I guess they were real "welfare cases"  Shocked  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KL7OF

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2009, 10:55:28 AM »

no place for tender egos
WB2YGF
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2009, 11:06:58 AM »

FWIW, I sometimes feel that this whole lisence class system tries to create a social heirarchy among hams. Somewhat a "caste" system if you would. this really is bull$#%t!! We should all be a "kindred spirit" and stick together for the good of us all. That "brotherhood" just doesnt seem to exist, except in small groups here and there. Lisence classing sometimes makes that worse as some have upgraded just for the bragging rights.
Agree 100%.  It used to really upset me when Jean Shepard (K2ORS) used to say on the air (WOR) that Novices and Techs were not "real Hams".
K3ZS

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2009, 11:11:25 AM »

I got my General in 1958 and upgraded as necessary to keep the original privileges I thought I earned the first time I took my FCC test.    I think most of the newest hams I have worked on SSB (some have not discovered AM yet) have been the most enjoyable QSO's I have had in a long time.    Most of them have been polite, friendly and interesting, sort of like old time ham radio.   They should be welcomed and encouraged to pursue all aspects of the hobby.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2009, 12:15:09 PM »

This is written more for newcomers looking for a little direction. You old crusties already know this stuff.... :-)

----------

Ham Radio always becomes what you put into it.  As many of us have said, "It's what you do AFTER you get your license that counts."

Your reward is knowledge, and satisfaction from accomplishing things that the average ham is unable or too lazy to do.

If it's easy, then we get bored quickly and drop out  - or cause trouble. If it's a challenge, we may get frustrated and discouraged for a while, but the end result is pure joy.

One facet is homebrewing. In general, I find the ones who take the time to learn and build their own gear are the happiest hams on the air and off. It's a focus and also creates your own posse of like-minded friends.  Good examples are the Class E guys, the BC xmitter restorers, the SDR crowd, the 813 rig guys, the vintage boat anchor guys, the receiver collectors, etc. Focus on one activity and you are assured to have fun and make friends, even if you are a newcomer. Axe questions and become involved.

Ham Radio can become a "Lone Wolf" game if we let it. This leads to isolation and reasons to give it up. But those who hang together with common interests have the most fun. Again, homebrewing is an imporatant key. That's why it worked so well in the 1920's to 1960's. Most all hams built something in their shacks.  The appliance revolution changed a lot of things.

I know. There was a time when I had access to any appliance station I wanted, for free. I took home a complete Yaesu FT line with all the accessories. The most fun I had with it was setting it up and getting it working. After a few days, I got so bored with it I took it back and set up my old homebrew gear again.

I see many newer hams who get into the hobby and buy expensive gear. They usually break into a QSO and immediately tell everyone they are running a TS-XXX Pro Field Disco Duck, expecting enthusiastic acceptance. Soon they realize that no one really cares - and after a few minutes they go away disappointed and stagger into the next QSO. Same results. Some find like-minded hams and hang out talking about the latest xcvr and how good the receiver specs are, etc.  These guys predicably sell everything and move on unless they stumble into a group that works and learns.

Ham Radio fun and success is based on friends of common interests. I'll say again, homebrewing and hanging with a crowd of homebrewers/restorers/collectors, etc, is the smoothest road to longevity in Ham Radio.

As far as different modes, agressive groups, Radio Nazis, etc....  they can't touch you when you have your own well-bonded group. Eventually, time will fly by and we will have memories of the good times we had and the friends we made in Ham Radio. The memories of conflicts and feuds will disappear like fresh snow in April.  Focus on having fun, learning, running a BIG rig and building new relationships - and always help others that need help -  and everything will take care of itself.

BTW, In a millenium, it really won't matter if CW had exclusive rights to 3500-3600  or 3500-3700... :-)

Tom, K1JJ

* Rigs- 4X1 - PDM-1.jpg (560.01 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 559 times.)

* Rigs- 02-28-08 028.jpg (321.56 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 584 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2009, 02:13:35 PM »

There was a time when I had access to any appliance station I wanted, for free. I took home a complete Yaesu FT line with all the accessories. The most fun I had with it was setting it up and getting it working. After a few days, I got so bored with it I took it back and set up my old homebrew gear again.

Sounds a little  like me and my Radio Shack 10m appliance that I bought on sale when the last sunspot cycle was beginning its decline and RS wanted to unload its stock before the band fizzled. 

I had heard the FM activity at the top end of the band, but the AM detectors on all my  receivers demodulated it very poorly if at all, and I wanted to listen to the action and maybe participate.  So I purchased this little modified CB rig that ran 25 watts on FM and SSB, and 7 watts on AM.  No CW capability.  I set it up and connected it to the antenna, and started monitoring the FM activity.  I think I made fewer than a half dozen contacts on 10m FM before I became totally bored.  I worked a handful of AM and SSB QSO's with it, but I found that equally boring.  So I went back to my Eico 720 fed with DDS VFO and modified 730 modulator.  That was a lot more fun, and the signal it put out sounded much better.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
WB2YGF
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2009, 11:11:03 PM »

I have one of those 10M Rat Shack units, did not use it very much because the sunspots were down when I got it.  The most fun I had on 10 M FM was my first rig.  It was a GE progress line commercial Low-Band FM tube transceiver converted for 10 meter FM operation. This was a monster which mounted in the trunk with a control head connected to the dash. It was powered by a vibrator supply and put out somewhere between 50 and 100 Watts.  I worked all over the US on 29.6 with that thing.  Nice rich sounding FM. 

I also converted an SSB CB to 10 meters and had some fun with that.

For me, talking to Hams with interests in common with mine is more important than if the the rig is homebrew or not.  Of course, homebrewers are nearly always interesting and educational.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2009, 04:18:40 AM »

The problem was that I never could find much in common with the people I ran into on 10m FM to talk about.  Nothing to do with the kind of rig I was running, or even the mode for that matter.

- - -
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2009, 08:25:48 AM »

Don said:
Insert Quote
The problem was that I never could find much in common with the people I ran into on 10m FM to talk about.  Nothing to do with the kind of rig I was running, or even the mode for that matter.

I used to like hearing how many repeaters I could 'kerchunk' when I would key up Cheesy

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WB2YGF
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2009, 09:13:46 AM »

I used to like hearing how many repeaters I could 'kerchunk' when I would key up Cheesy
Yeah that was pretty insane.  Now that many are on PL, this may help, but it renders non-PL trancievers kind of useless.  Now that I finally have 10 FM equipment that can do PL, the band is dead.   Sad
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2009, 10:58:56 AM »

Tom said, "TS-XXX Pro Field Disco Duck"

Heh, I see some Kenwood - Icom - Yaesu references in there Tom. Your whole post is an amazingly succinct description of our hobby. It made me laugh.

I had pretty much the same experience on 10 meter FM Don. I applied audio to the cathode of the oscillator in my DX-100 to get on, and after a few ho-hum QSO's I went back to 29 MHz to work some guy from Colorado who was strapping in with his Johnson Desk Kilowatt. It wasn't until some local guys got interested in converting Hy-Gain boards and putting a local 10m FM repeater up that I got really interested in running 10 meter FM again. As Tom mentioned, a lot of the enjoyment seems to be in finding a common interest with the people you are talking to.

Sorry the band was so crappy the other night on 160 meters, it would have been nice if propagation had cooperated more.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2009, 03:04:30 PM »

Here's a nice tune that sums up these ssb morons...
Not to mention the CW nuts from the other thread.

Note:  NOT aimed at ALL  ssb/cw operators...

Just the ones that deserve it!
(you know who you are)

http://media.thechrispirilloshow.com/mp3/yourepitiful.mp3

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015