The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:54:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VK II Roller Lube ??  (Read 5013 times)
KB3DKS

« on: January 05, 2009, 08:07:46 PM »

Finaly have my backup VKII making RF and Mod but it is difficult to dip with the roller spitzen and sputzen at that point.
 I have heard of graphite being used but there should be some modern conductive high temp lube available that would be a better choice.
  I really do not want to tear down the assm. for a complete rebuild having just done that to my formerly good VKII last year just before the fire. At that time the roller was replaced with a NOS due to serious wear of the rollerwheel and an out of round shaft.
  If this one can be cleaned and lubed without a complete tear down it would be a much easier project. Have already wiped down the inductor and it is in great condition.
  Any suggestions ?? experience ??

Bill, KB3DKS in 1 Land
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 08:34:17 AM »

Bill,

I have the same ailment with the VK1.
On 75 meters I switch in the 160M coil. This puts the tuning at the other end of the main coil. It seems to work FB. Of course, I'm just needing 20 watts or so to drive the amp. Give it a try and let me know.

Buddly WD8BIL
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:09:14 AM »

That's a good tip Buddly,

That roller is in a tough spot and not easy to work on. Mine was dirty and tight when I got it. after washing the TX it was slightly better but still tight and did the arc and sizzle business.
I used DeOxit drops on a tooth pick to clean up the roller shaft and the main shaft working it from end to end which smoothed it out really nice but didn't fix the fireworks. I tried a bit of silicone grease on the shaft that supports the roller assembly and it moves better. After all of that it was quiet and smooth as silk however it still crackles a bit at the limit for 75 meters. I'll try your idea.
Silicone grease is great for electronic moving parts but a little goes a long way. It will collect dust and may gum things up over time.

Mike
W3NP
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 11:19:30 AM »

I have had this problem with my Viking II for 28 years. Once it has sizzled and arced for any amount of time, the rod that the pully rides on, the inside of the pully and even the inductor itself developes darkened burnt spots (loss of plating), and there is not much that can be done to reverse the situation.

I think it starts with a buildup of dirt and if not cleaned well before using, it soon gets worse. I also think that spraying the assembly with residue leaving contact cleaners exacerbates the problem.

Also, loss of tension of the pulley against the coil is a factor.

---Dave  W3NP
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 11:38:54 PM »

Short of a rebuild where you put a nice bronze bushing inside the wheel to ride along the rod (larger surface area...), you might try the stuff that is sold for going between copper and aluminum electrical connections... I also have some lspray lube that is actually hi-temp but looks to be copper... the standard old "Nev-R-Seize" is lead based and that is conductive too...

Dunno.  Roll Eyes

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KB3DKS

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 02:44:07 AM »

Thanks Everyone !!
 I see the problem is not unknown  Grin
Well, will just have to try a good cleaning of the roller rod and if I can find one of the metal containing lubes you mentioned Bear, will try that.
 The dissimiliar metal stuff, No Lox? OX?, I have somewhere but it is mainly to neutralize the diss metal action and not sure how conductive it is. I have another type that is wax based so won't take any heat. I use it to moisture proof and lubricate coax connectors. Looks a lot like the waterproofing leather stuff.
The copper containing lube Ispray ? might work. Where do you find it?
  A bushing replacement is a good idea but the shaft wears out of round compounding the problem and is high temp silver soldered to the tension springs. Already had a spring break when trying to retension it. I only have one good spare left that I want to keep for a Super VKII project in the works using a stripped chassis as a building block.
  Anyway, Bear, I hear you real well even tho you are somewhat off the end of the dipole. When this transmitter goes back together you might be able to hear me.
 Anyone south of me is in a dead area caused but the steel in the building around the dipole. If I could only get out as well as I can hear....

Again, Thanks everyone !
Bill KB3DKS in 1 Land
ka3zlr
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 02:48:50 AM »

Ya know what I used on mine is that stuff we used for the Scouts Derby cars.."Hobby Lube Graphite"..it's a dry Lub..but You can work it in real well and you just blow the excess off..Non-stick Non-Liquid...cool stuff.. Smiley
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »

Bill,

I'm not at my shack/lab until the weekend, it's in a spray can, I can post the name of it if you want. As I said he regular nickel or lead based anti-seize lube ought to work just fine too... doubt that you need very much of it...

I suspect you can find it or similar online with a search for copper and high-temp lube, etc...

Contact John, FXE, he's doing just that bushing trick on a roller inductor of his... if ur interested.

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015