The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:37:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recognize this as a CPO ?  (Read 11936 times)
wx3k
Contributing

Vintage Ham Gear Enthusiast

« on: December 26, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »

I bought this "mystery" board at a local hamfest one year because of its vintage. I shelved it and I took a closer look at it today. Two 01A's and One 76 tube with a what I assume to be a 5 volt filament transformer. The 01A's have 5 volt filaments and the 76 has a 6.3 volt filament. Odd ? The fahnestock clips note headphone connections and B-. And the variable resistor mounted on the board. Is this a Code practice oscillator from the early 40's ? I havent had time to diagram out the tube yet.

* MysteryBoard1.jpg (254.05 KB, 1296x972 - viewed 602 times.)

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 04:01:27 PM »

maybe it is a small amplifier. CPO would have to have some resistors, capacitors  or transformers. Actually, where are the passive components?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:17:53 PM »

It could be an amplifier, most likely for audio work, since I have read about basic amps that use nothing but tubes.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 04:21:12 PM »

The variable resistor is the only passive component. I would imagine perhaps if this is an oscillator of some sort, they leverage the interelectrode capacitance in the 01A's somehow for the feedback.  Huh The lack of an input connection leads me to believe it is an oscillator of some sort.

maybe it is a small amplifier. CPO would have to have some resistors, capacitors  or transformers. Actually, where are the passive components?

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
"Thunder is good; Thunder is impressive but it is lightning that does the work" ...Mark Twain
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »

It could also provide some adjustment for the plate voltage to the 01A, which may had varied the tone if it was an oscillator.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »

It does not look like either a code practice oscillator or a receiver.   

Rather easy to trace out the circuit, just from the photo, assuming 01A triodes in the left and center sockets, and a 76 in the right socket.

All filaments are tied directly to the transformer secondary.  One side of the filament circuit is tied to the left fahnestock clip in the front row.  There is a variable resistor across the filament supply, with the wiper going to the grid of the middle 01A, and that lead is carried to the second fahnestock clip in the front row.

The grid of the left 01A is connected to the filament.  Does not make a lot of sense, a diode connected triode usually has the grid tied to the plate.   Plates of all tubes are tied together, and to the far right fahnestock clip.

The 76 has both screen and control grids tied to the third fahnestock clip.

After looking at the circuit, my guess is this might be a test jig for testing tubes, or possibly a breadboard to support tubes where other circuitry might be attached externally.  It does not appear to have any direct application in it's present configuration.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 07:28:15 PM »

I think the 76 has its grid and cathode connected together. The 76 is a triode. No screen grid.......Very odd circuit. Of course one of the headphone connections is not connected to anything.....Such a mystery !  Huh

It does not look like either a code practice oscillator or a receiver.   

Rather easy to trace out the circuit, just from the photo, assuming 01A triodes in the left and center sockets, and a 76 in the right socket.

All filaments are tied directly to the transformer secondary.  One side of the filament circuit is tied to the left fahnestock clip in the front row.  There is a variable resistor across the filament supply, with the wiper going to the grid of the middle 01A, and that lead is carried to the second fahnestock clip in the front row.

The grid of the left 01A is connected to the filament.  Does not make a lot of sense, a diode connected triode usually has the grid tied to the plate.   Plates of all tubes are tied together, and to the far right fahnestock clip.

The 76 has both screen and control grids tied to the third fahnestock clip.

After looking at the circuit, my guess is this might be a test jig for testing tubes, or possibly a breadboard to support tubes where other circuitry might be attached externally.  It does not appear to have any direct application in it's present configuration.

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
w8khk

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 07:35:43 PM »

I think the 76 has its grid and cathode connected together. The 76 is a triode. No screen grid.......

You are correct, my mistake.  I was looking at the wrong page in my 1937 RCA Receiving Tube Manual.  It is puzzling why they would connect grid and cathode together?Huh

In old breadboard rigs, it was customary to connect the headphone between the plate of the audio output and the B+ battery connection.  Perhaps the double fahnestock clips at the upper right in the photo were intended for the other headphone connection and the battery + Huh  But what is the rest of the circuit doing?  'Tis a puzzlement! 

"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 08:58:29 PM »

Yes, I just noticed the B+ written on the opposite edge of the breadboard for the other headphone connection.  Grin

In old breadboard rigs, it was customary to connect the headphone between the plate of the audio output and the B+ battery connection.  Perhaps the double fahnestock clips at the upper right in the photo were intended for the other headphone connection and the battery +

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
K1ZJH

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 09:21:41 PM »

The pot is most likely for filament balance to eliminate the hum. The first socket looks like it is wired up to run the 01A as a diode?  None of the wiring makes any sense if you follow it out.

Pete
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 09:43:51 PM »

It may be the beginnings of a tube tester or rejuvenator.

These are the good old days of AM
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 10:00:06 PM »

Naw, I think it is a prototype for a fuse tester... Grin

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 08:27:01 AM »

Smiley This is an interesting thought

The pot is most likely for filament balance to eliminate the hum. <snip>

Pete

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 01:15:53 PM »

Stephanie

It looks like a lteaching tool (student lab experiment) to demonstrate the difference between:

a) A triode whose filament is also the cathode: B- attached to one end of the filament... and to the grid (hum).

b) A triode whose filament is also the cathode: B- attached to weighted combination of both sides of the filament (via the pot)... and to the grid (hum can be balanced out)

c) A triode whose filament is separate from the cathode: B- attached to cahtode... and to the grid (no hum)

Procedure: 

i. All three tubes plugged in (or one at a time if you wish)

ii. Attach headphones to plate bus and to B+

iii. Attach B- to only one of the the three clips on the long side of the board. Left 1 gives you case a) [hum heard in headphones].  Middle clip gives you case b) [hum can be balanced out]. Right clip gives you case c) No hum.

Best regards
Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 05:33:40 PM »

Ah ! This makes sense now  Smiley

Stephanie

It looks like a lteaching tool (student lab experiment) to demonstrate the difference between:

a) A triode whose filament is also the cathode: B- attached to one end of the filament... and to the grid (hum).

b) A triode whose filament is also the cathode: B- attached to weighted combination of both sides of the filament (via the pot)... and to the grid (hum can be balanced out)

c) A triode whose filament is separate from the cathode: B- attached to cahtode... and to the grid (no hum)

Procedure: 

i. All three tubes plugged in (or one at a time if you wish)

ii. Attach headphones to plate bus and to B+

iii. Attach B- to only one of the the three clips on the long side of the board. Left 1 gives you case a) [hum heard in headphones].  Middle clip gives you case b) [hum can be balanced out]. Right clip gives you case c) No hum.

Best regards
Stu

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
w8khk

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 12:23:26 PM »

Stephanie

Stu

Stephanie,

Looks as if "Professor Stu" hit the nail squarely on the head!  Last night I stumbled across the exact schematic for your device in an old (1943) text, Elements of Radio..  I will attempt to attach a scan of the schematic pages from the "demonstrations" sections of the book.

Rick

* img00137.jpg (1294.51 KB, 3223x2309 - viewed 588 times.)

wx3k
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 08:54:05 PM »

No kidding  Smiley

Stephanie

Stu

Stephanie,

Looks as if "Professor Stu" hit the nail squarely on the head!  Last night I stumbled across the exact schematic for your device in an old (1943) text, Elements of Radio..  I will attempt to attach a scan of the schematic pages from the "demonstrations" sections of the book.

Rick

Stephanie WX3K
Eico 720/722/730  HRO50T
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 02:52:15 AM »

clarivoyance.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015