The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:52:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is it??????  (Read 3487 times)
kc2ifr
« on: December 15, 2008, 05:37:50 PM »

Not sure how to bring this up without causing a problem with the board but since we cannot reply to any posts with an ebay topic I thought a discussion about this item would be interesting.
Again folks........this is not meant to start anything..........just wondering what the heck this thing is. Is it for real as in something Johnson really made or is it a Viking 2 in sheep's clothes?Huh?
http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=17929.0

Just wondereing....
Bill
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 05:50:13 PM »

Radio Mart already indicated it's probably a Viking II. Looks like the former owner just added a rank panel and more meters. Maybe his meter switch was broke or maybe he just likes looking at a lot of meters.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
kc2ifr
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »

Yup.....I saw that BUT knowing radio mart I was looking for another opinion!!!!!

It looks sharp........kind of a one of a kind mut that would make a nice conversation piece.........IF it works.
Bill
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 08:10:55 PM »

he is a radio flipper
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 08:45:20 PM »

he is a radio flipper

Flipping is good business.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA1ZGC
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 10:17:54 PM »

he is a radio flipper

Nothing wrong with that. Dolphins are cute, intelligent, and get along well with humans.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 09:23:54 PM »

The second from the left meter in the bottom row looks crooked. I'm not so sure it is really a pro job, just a decent job by some ham. I would not bet on it being a prototype either because the wiring for the added meters is not of the same type as the radio uses (looks like plastic covered 12V or speaker wire) and the wire has wire ties instead of lacing. Anyone could have collected 'signal one' meters from other gear, after all. The meter switches do go bad on those rigs. Looks nice and clean, what is shown of it. Before I'd pay too much over what a TVI-ridden viking I is worth, I'd like more pictures and greater detail especially since it has not been checked. The tuning on them is driven by a bunch of gears and can go awry, and the front panel tuning knob bushing or shaft is often worn on these. Finally, are we sure it is a I, or a II? It has 6146's in the final. My "V-I" has a 4D32. Not casting aspersions, just advising to look carefully.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 03:58:29 PM »

You're all wrong. It's a custom high-power audio wisdom dispenser. Just add alcohol and 'lectricity, preferably in the correct order.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015