The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:18:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ¿Dónde está Derb?  (Read 11178 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: October 24, 2008, 09:58:28 PM »

Been awhile since he has posted.
Hope he is doing OK. The board aint the same without James Brown!
Anybody talk with him lately?
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 10:02:03 PM »

Talked with him on the hnyellowphone today.  He;s fine but doesn't have internet service temporarily.

If all goes well we (ZE, HUZ, and myself) will have his skyhook back up and he'll be whirlwide Sun nite.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:31:51 PM »

I'll look forward to working the Derbmeister Sunday...
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 09:26:23 PM »

DRB be back on da air!  A small problem exists with the Junkston KW Matchbox but all 15 watts (with 4:1 SWR) apparently strapped on the 3733 net this afternoon.

Stay tooned and look for him around.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 11:05:42 AM »

S9+15 in Ohio!

Let's hear it for the munky!!!!!!!!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 11:26:06 AM »

I wonder where EVERYONE is.  I listened every evening this weekend, and heard very little AM activity anywhere in the band.  Managed to work a couple of stations, one using a ricebox on AM for the first time, and another using a flex radio, who said one of  his other rigs was a tube-type AM transmitter.  Also worked several stations that I hadn't contacted before, on 1985.  But I didn't hear a single one of the "regulars".  I did get somewhat of a late start, about 0430 GMT, but this was the weekend! Of course, there was the Quarmtest quacking away, but they mostly stayed in the bottom half of 160 and 80/75.

Like clockwork, as happens every year just as the summer QRN finally goes away, the line noise is back.  It first started last night, and completely wipes out the band between 3850 and 3950.  Interestingly, there is a null in the noise around 3610. 

It's worse on the beverage than it is on the dipole!

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 12:38:31 PM »

There were muliple groups on 3880/85 all of Friday and Saturday nights. Not sure why you didn't hear anything. Friday night, we had stations from Florida to Missouri to Maine, all strapping at this location.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 12:57:05 PM »

I'm too much a night owl.  I probably got a late start after everyone had gone to bed.  I did listen briefly a few times earlier in the evening, but didn't happen to hear anyone.  Since I did manage to work some stations, I know the band was open and it's not my receiver or antenna.

I miss the nocturnal emissions of yore.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 07:46:29 PM »

There doesn't seem to be as many really late night/early morning Q's these last few years, now that you mention it. Are we all becoming old buzzards and crapping out early?

I'm too much a night owl.  I probably got a late start after everyone had gone to bed.  I did listen briefly a few times earlier in the evening, but didn't happen to hear anyone.  Since I did manage to work some stations, I know the band was open and it's not my receiver or antenna.

I miss the nocturnal emissions of yore.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 12:03:36 AM »

there used to be QSO's until 3 am in the morning almost every night back in the late 80's.

I dont have net service from home anymore. had to kill it to save money. I am trying to get the matchbox to behave, i DID test he maul on the low tap into the DL and it is making lotsa soup!!!!!! I didnt notice any problems with it, seemed to tune ok. no zorches!!!!!

I'll be home again in a day and tackle the matchbox.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 01:00:07 AM »

Cool. I wanna hear the whole 9 yards on from your station. Get it!

there used to be QSO's until 3 am in the morning almost every night back in the late 80's.

I dont have net service from home anymore. had to kill it to save money. I am trying to get the matchbox to behave, i DID test he maul on the low tap into the DL and it is making lotsa soup!!!!!! I didnt notice any problems with it, seemed to tune ok. no zorches!!!!!

I'll be home again in a day and tackle the matchbox.
WA9UDW

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 03:23:36 AM »

I dont have net service from home anymore. had to kill it to save money.

If you have land-line telephone service, maybe you may want to consider this dial-up ISP:

http://www.core.com/index.php

I've had fairly trouble free service from them for the last 2-3 years.
They have a cheaper rate of $7.95 + tax /month for unlimited service, which they don't promote.
But for that lower rate, you have to agree to:
  • Direct withdrawal monthly from a bank account
  • No e-mail address(s)
  • No free tech support

73, Terry
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 05:05:01 AM »

forget dialup.
put up a wifi ant.
theres almost always an open/free wifi connection these days

Pages: [1]   Go Up