The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:11:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHEN DO THE CLOCKS GO BACK?..  (Read 9393 times)
ve6pg

« on: September 20, 2008, 06:01:47 PM »

...ok, i'm not trying to rush this, but when do we put the clocks back fer standard time?..tim..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 07:41:40 PM »

I think its at 2 AM.... ..

klc

What? Me worry?
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 07:54:14 PM »

The first Sunday in November this year. They extended it by two weeks. Started a week early and ending a week late. Talk is they may get rid of it all together.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 11:58:17 PM »

It started more like 3 weeks early (while it was still winter) and 1 week later this year, supposedly to save energy.  But studies have shown that it resulted in increased energy consumption, since it forced people to get up before sunrise, turn on lights and turn up the heat. The coldest part of the day is the hour or two before sunrise.

Any bright elementary school  student could have figured out that no energy would be saved, when the idea of expanding daylight shifting time was first proposed. They didn't need any "studies".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 07:18:30 AM »

I keep telling you, its a government conspiracy! Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 04:52:19 PM »

"  no energy would be saved  "

Thats not the point.

We feel better doing something.

It doesn't have to make sen$e.

klc

What? Me worry?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 02:12:49 PM »

Still remember what my dairy farmer pal Matt, ex-N1GRL said years ago:

"The cows don't care about Daylight Savings time. They still gotta be milked at the same time, regardless of what the clock says."

He never reset his watch or clocks.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
John Holotko

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 03:14:07 PM »

Actually when I first read the title I thought for a second that it read...

"When do the Glocks go back ?"

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »

We had DST forced upon us last year here in Indiana, after over 30 years of being on EST all year long.  EST was actually a pretty good arrangement as we just stayed on the same time and didn't mess with changing the clocks.  Unfortunately, they went with EDST instead of CDST which would have been more in keeping with our geographical location.  A few counties outside of Chicago stuck with Central time for obvious reasons.  Anyway, it has probably created more problems here than it has solved and we still do not have uniform time throughout the state.  Time zones can really be a problem when you are located very close to or stradling the boundary.  It is a political nightmare and it is an exremely volatile issue in this part of the world.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 07:08:26 PM »

Dateline: WASHINGTON

The US Government has announced the introduction of the Metric Time Standard.  Days will now have 10 hours, consisting units of 100 minutes each, The day will still start in the middle of the night as alays, Also, each week will consist of ten days. 
     Said one senator, "This should make many working class Americans happy, as their hourly pay rates just went up by a factor of 2.4! And now they only have to work three and one third hours per day!"  The three additional days that have been added to the weekly calendar are: Taxitday, Spenditday, and Holiday. 
   Another change is that the monthly calender will consist of just 30 days, and the year will be only 10 months long.  One Congressman is quoted as saying, "We needed to eliminate January and February as no one like the long cold winter months anyway."   
      Since this only adds up to 300 days, the length of one year has been redefined in order to match the new calender.  An emminent scientist has said, "The consensus is that as a technologically advanced people we should no longer have our canlendar tied to astronomical or seasonal changes, and that if we didn't do something the old style calendar would have caused the end of civilization as we know it, os so we believe."

Good NIGHT!!

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 11:32:16 PM »

France actually tried that right after the Revolution.  They adopted the metric system, which included a revolutionary calendar with 12 months, each consisting of three 10-day weeks.

Months

The Republican calendar year began at the autumn equinox and had twelve months of 30 days each, which were given new names based on nature:

* Autumn:
          o Vendémiaire (from Latin vindemia, "grape harvest") Starting Sept 22, 23 or 24
          o Brumaire (from French brume, "fog") Starting Oct 22, 23 or 24
          o Frimaire (From French frimas, "frost") Starting Nov 21, 22 or 23
    * Winter:
          o Nivôse (from Latin nivosus, "snowy") Starting Dec 21, 22 or 23
          o Pluviôse (from Latin pluvius, "rainy") Starting Jan 20, 21 or 22
          o Ventôse (from Latin ventosus, "windy") Starting Feb 19, 20 or 21
    * Spring:
          o Germinal (from Latin germen, "germination") Starting Mar 20 or 21
          o Floréal (from Latin flos, "flower") Starting Apr 20 or 21
          o Prairial (from French prairie, "pasture") Starting May 20 or 21
    * Summer:
          o Messidor (from Latin messis, "harvest") Starting Jun 19 or 20
          o Thermidor (or Fervidor) (from Greek thermon, "summer heat") Starting Jul 19 or 20
          o Fructidor (from Latin fructus, "fruit") Starting Aug 18 or 19

Note: Fervidor appeared on many printed calendars for Year II of the French Republic (September 22, 1793 - September 21, 1794).

The English translations stated above are approximate, as most of the month names were new words coined from French, Latin or Greek. The endings of the names are grouped by season.

In England, people mocked the Republican Calendar by calling the months: Wheezy, Sneezy and Freezy; Slippy, Drippy and Nippy; Showery, Flowery and Bowery; Wheaty, Heaty and Sweety.

Ten days of the week

The month is divided into three décades or 'weeks' of ten days each, named simply:

* primidi (first day)
    * duodi (second day)
    * tridi (third day)
    * quartidi (fourth day)
    * quintidi (fifth day)
    * sextidi (sixth day)
    * septidi (seventh day)
    * octidi (eighth day)
    * nonidi (ninth day)
    * décadi (tenth day)

http://windhorst.org/calendar/#Brinton

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015