The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:58:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Links  (Read 9857 times)
K9ACT
« on: August 09, 2008, 01:44:55 PM »

I am not inclined to tell people how to lay out web pages but I guess I have been here long enough to at least offer an opinion.

First of all, the opening page uses prescious space to direct us to other sites.  I would rather see the BBS directory on top, without having to scroll down to it.  After all, that is what I came here for.

Secondly, when browsing postings, one has to return to the home page, scroll down again to get to the BBS directory to change from QSO to Tech, for example.  This is just plain klunky.

On the plus side, there are no migrane producing ads like that other popular ham site.

Just some thoughts,

js
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 02:34:36 PM »

A contrasting opinion - I think it is great that AMfone offers information and links to other sites of interest on the home page - The newcomer has a wealth of information and direction at his/her fingertips.  I would not change this.

Rather than reorganize the board, I would suggest keeping the organization that everyone already knows how to navigate.  A possibly easy modification is suggested:  When one clicks on a board, such as qso or technical forum, when that response is displayed, automatically scroll the display down so the top of the list is at the top of the screen.  Same when clicking on a topic, automatically scroll to position the first entry at the top of the screen (similar to the way the last entry is positioned when clicking on the topics in "Recent Posts"). 

I have one other simple suggestion to improve the ease of use:  Regarding the "Recent Posts", do not show duplicate topics when there are several recent posts to the same topic.  Instead, just display the latest post to a same topic, preserving the other topics in the list.  I would go so far as to suggest displaying the latest 10 or 12 posted topics, instead of the present 6 in the list. 

On another usability subject, when photos are posted to the gallery, what is needed if the photo shows as "Picture Not Approved"?  If the photo does not exceed the allowed size or pixels horiz and vert, are any additional steps required?

In my opinion, this is one of the most friendly and easy to navigate boards I have had the pleasure of visiting.  Keep up the great work!  Thanks!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
K9ACT
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 07:52:03 PM »

A contrasting opinion - I think it is great that AMfone offers information and links to other sites of interest on the home page - The newcomer has a wealth of information and direction at his/her fingertips.  I would not change this.

The links are not the issue.  It is their position ahead of this board's index.  Just move them down to a less prominent position.

As a data point I have not clicked on any of those links for months but I browse the boards several times a day. 

js
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 09:51:14 AM »

Secondly, when browsing postings, one has to return to the home page, scroll down again to get to the BBS directory to change from QSO to Tech, for example.  This is just plain klunky.

Not true. At the bottom of any page in any section of the forum there is a drop down selection box labled, Jump To. Select the section of the forum you want to directly navigate to and hit the go button. Done.
K9ACT
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 10:53:54 AM »

Not true. At the bottom of any page in any section of the forum there is a drop down selection box labled, Jump To. Select the section of the forum you want to directly navigate to and hit the go button. Done.

Ah, you're tricken me.  You just put them there. 

You know, I have seen that but never seem to find it when I want it.  After making the post, I couldn't find a page without it, as you said.

Another check, and I found the problem.... it's the "since last visit list" index that lacks it.

Seems like nit picking but I always end up on that index after reading the ones I want to read.  I suppose it's just my MO but it explains my comment.

js
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 12:13:21 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out. It should be on every page, but I guess it's not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015