The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:40:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You Never Have a Camera When You Need It  (Read 3339 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: September 02, 2008, 10:57:21 AM »

Friday after work I headed over to the truck rental place which also is the location of my storage unit. Wanted to finish cleaning it out before month's end and also had a 1370 lb 300G transmitter sitting in it from the failed attempt to move it south (can't recall if I posted about that or not).

Anyhow, the storage unit I rented is in a bad spot for loading heavy things: the driveway slopes away from the front door, and also down to one side rather steeply. After attempting to back the lift gate truck up for loading (26' box truck, wasn't enough room to get it up straight to the door), we were stuck. Until an old friend and former owner of the property wandered by and offered the use of his bucket loader, the same one he used to move junk cars years before when he ran a junk yard and towing service at the same location.

So we moved the truck away to a more suitable spot, Richie pulled up with the bucket loader, a packing blanket was laid across the bucket edge and the 300G was eased back into it. He then ever-so-gently tipped the bucket back enough to hold the beast in place, and carefully drove it over to the back of the box truck, lined it up perfectly with the rear apron, and we rolled the transmitter off into the truck. He was as delicate with that huge machine as a surgeon with a scalpel. Amazing.

A 1940s broadcast transmitter taking a friendly ride in a bucket loader. What I wouldn't give to have a photo of that.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 07:51:52 PM »

Aww, man, that would have made an outstanding avatar too!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 11:10:50 PM »

That's a good one !  Would have made an interesting pic for sure...

I missed a good one a few weeks ago.... My wife and I were up at Lake Winnipesaukee (a very large lake in New Hampshire - in fact, I believe the largest body of water in New England)... anyway, lots of big bucks there....nice cars, plenty of scenery...

We were walking around the town of Merredith, when we came upon a very expensive Mercedes with the Massachusetts number plate (vanity plate, in this case) "BLONDE" - and - *THE PLATE WAS UPSIDE DOWN* !!!  Priceless!  At least I got quite a laugh out of it.  My wife, being quite blonde herself wasn't QUITE as amused, but still thought it was funny !  My only question is:  I'm wondering why the cops haven't stopped the car for the upside down plate... either they all have a sense of humor, or they just let her go and tell her to "fix it" as soon as possible. Wink

Another missed camera moment  Cheesy  Smiley  I got quite a chuckle out of the whole thing.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015