The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:46:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They're bringing back Schlitz!  (Read 32555 times)
kf6pqt

« on: August 05, 2008, 12:49:10 AM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25970479?GT1=43001

Cheesy

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 01:13:06 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaEV0gGV418&feature=related

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WB2G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 01:47:15 AM »

So Schlitz is back and being brought to you by Pabst Brewing co.which no longer even owns a brewery.All of their beers are contract brewed by others.Just another marketing ploy.

"I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power."Benjamin Franklin
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 01:58:26 AM »

Thanks for posting that great clip.

Jon
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 06:23:29 AM »

I prefer Willer beer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tdiOD0jK1o
its Willer time!!
AF9J
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 08:49:45 AM »

Hmmmm,

Actually, they've been selling Schlitz around here for the past several weeks.  My dad used to be a Schlitz drinker when I was little.

Ellen - AF9J
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »

The only person I can remember that drank Schlitz, was the neighborhood drunk.  He'd leave odd cans around in places, once we (neighborhood kids) found a sixpack.  We opened a can, tried it, and put it all back...  Tongue

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 09:30:33 AM »

around here we called it shitz
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 09:36:51 AM »

Hi Blain ... that Willer pix is out there a pretty good ways ! ... I like it ... haire' haire'  (ps good dog, good dog)

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
W1EUJ
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 10:23:16 AM »

For those soul-crushing days,
when you drive home on autopilot,
and the lights at your home are already out for the night,
I will always return to the comfort of an Anchor Steam Beer.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 11:29:10 AM »

Schlitz was better than Budweiser (isn't almost anything?).  But now I drink only real beer, just as I operate only real radios.

http://www.yazoobrew.com/yazoomain.html

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
K9ACT
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »

Schlitz was better than Budweiser (isn't almost anything?).  But now I drink only real beer, just as I operate only real radios.

We bought a six of Schlitz a few weeks ago and welcome it as a megabrew that almost tastes like beer. It may have been like that in the 60's but real beer was long gone by then anyway.

It was not until I made my first trip to Europe in the 60's that I found out what beer was supposed to taste like and started making my own because nothing else was available around here.  Last year we decommissioned the brewery because there is so much good beer to choose from these days that it's not worth the trouble.

There is lots of lousy beer too but at least one can choose from a very large selection in most liquor stores now.

One can only laugh though when we are told that the world's worst beers are officially known a American Premium beer.

Because they were unable to rise above the noise level in the Great American Beer Festival, they coined this class so they could fight among each other and get blue ribbons without having to compete with real beer.

js

ka3zlr
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 07:57:48 PM »

I'd sooner have a Bottle of Red Pop... Grin..Ice Cold...
W1TAV
Contributing

The Glow of Wood and Radios

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 09:40:37 PM »

Ah'Yes,...Schlitz... Brings back some memories from the 70's.. In high school I worked in an "old time" garage. Around 5 PM the owner would pull out a dollar bill and one of those old plastic change holders (the ones you squeezed and they opened up in the middle) and take out 85 cents.  Without saying anything, you just went down to the package store and bought a 6 pack of Schlitz..  On Fridays, 2 dollars came out and 15 cents was handed to you that was the sign to go buy a six pack of Michelob! 
Then there is the story of when the package store burnt down, but we will save that of another time..
For what it is worth, 34 years later, I still stop by that old time garage and have a Miller with the old man.  He is 82 and now rents the place out to someone, however the tradition lives on!  It is a gathering place for former employees and customers. 

Steve - W1TAV
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 09:46:54 PM »

Horsepiss, all of it!   Roll Eyes

Now this  is beer!

Sleeman's Cream Ale   
Distribution:  In the United States:
customer.service@sleeman.ca

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 10:01:09 PM »

Fort Schyler..........  G*d dam!!! the worst stuff i ever had, with the possible exception of Price Chopper brand "Beer"

klc

What? Me worry?
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 11:33:16 PM »

the official beer of Ashtabula Bill. need I say more?

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 12:10:37 AM »

Good Beer, No Shit

Road Dog Scottish Porter was the first member of our litter of ales to cross the line with the authorities. Shortly after its launch in 1995, we were told to remove it from the shelves due to the alleged use of profanity. The offending text was Ralph's inscription that simply read, 'Good Beer. No Shit.' We replaced the text with, 'Good Beer. No Censorship.' and with the help of the ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) we fought to get the original text re-instated. In 2001 we achieved our goal and today, 'Good Beer. No shit.' stands proudly as a statement of fact on all Road Dog Scottish Porter labels.

* road-dog-over.gif (15.9 KB, 100x330 - viewed 428 times.)

- - -
K9ACT
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 12:17:22 AM »

the official beer of Ashtabula Bill. need I say more?

There ain't no beer ever put in a can that is anything but slop.

AB er ah I mean js
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 07:58:21 AM »

I hate beer. really. never did.
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 11:03:34 AM »

--- Post No Bills ---
N8LGU

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2008, 11:50:55 AM »

Here's the real skinny:
    REAL beer made in Europe, by law, can only consist of the following ingredients:
    -water
    -malted barley
    -hops
    -yeast
    Most beer made in America is adulterated with cereal grains and rice as it is much cheaper than malted barley. Hence the cheap taste.
    I prefer a Becks or Heiniken to the dog water they sell here. Cheesy

"Rock Cave Dave"
K9ACT
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2008, 12:48:59 PM »

Here's the real skinny:
    REAL beer made in Europe, by law, can only consist of the following ingredients:
    -water
    -malted barley
    -hops
    -yeast
    Most beer made in America is adulterated with cereal grains and rice as it is much cheaper than malted barley. Hence the cheap taste.
    I prefer a Becks or Heiniken to the dog water they sell here. Cheesy

You are refering to the German Purity Law "Rhineheigtsgabot" (my spelling) which applies only in Germany and only to beer so labled.  I don't trust the Germans any more than any other country to abide by such laws anymore.

Real breweries have trucks full of malted barley in the receiving docks but "American Premium" breweries have tank cars filled with corn syrup and maybe a bag of malt just to keep the label honest.

But the best joke on Joe Sixpack is so-called "lite beer".  They take already lousy corn syrup beer and add enough water to it to reduce the calories and alcohol and the idiots love it.

js

wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2008, 01:15:45 PM »

Aft all..consumed lots of different beers when younger..never Schiltz..can't do a comparison..by the way i always thought lite beer had the same alcoholic content as "regular" beer yes..no??
             Anyone remember the GIQ's?..in '67 when i could legally buy beer..fifty cents got you a Pabst Blue Ribbon GIQ or giant imperial quart..two or three got you into trouble..that was a cheap drunk!!
                          73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
NE4AM

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2008, 02:01:58 PM »

When you can go to Best Buy and buy a Crosley radio, or a Bell and Howell camera, both chinese knock-offs, it does my heart good to see a familiar name revived and still made in the US.  Though, for both beer and radios, I prefer the homebrew.

73 - Dave

73 - Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015