The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:04:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yahoo BC Xmtr Group  (Read 5868 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: July 30, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »

Mike Hess N3EAQJust started a new "specialized" group/mailserv on Yahoo Groups Called : bcast_xmtr_4ham

To join go to : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bcast_xmtr_4ham/join

This group is for the discussion of commercial broadcast transmitter use in the ham bands, with emphasis on acquisition, restoration, modification, and general use.

Discussion of  "hints & kinks" for various transmitters, where to find parts, swap-buy/sell/trade of transmitters and parts, operating practices, and general nostalgic discussions.

Mike recently purchased a Gates BC-1H for restoration and conversion to 160M AM and discovered a few things:

1. There's a lot of knowledge out there, but you have to hunt for it.
2. There's a lot of interest
3. Finding parts is not too easy.
4. There's not much discussion of the operation of these units on our  bands, or general discussion of, or experiences with the units being explicitly shared.

So he started this group

Carl /KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 02:53:55 PM »

I noticed the same thing about other yahoo groups. There seems to be little focus on the purpose of the group and it's like operating a different OS on your computer to get to needed info. But' it's definitely worth looking into for a little variation.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 02:55:39 PM »

Oh Yes
The hassle of signing in and providing all types of information and another pass word tp remember.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 03:39:44 PM »

The hassle of signing in and providing all types of information and another pass word tp remember.

Unless it is something that really needs to be kept secure and private, like my online banking account, I have used the same username and password for everything for years.  I couldn't care less if someone hacks my account on the Fart Appreciation bulletin board, the Gutwagon Forum or the account I had to sign up for, to access the web version of some newspaper.

It's ridiculous some of the stuff they make you submit a password for.  Like, does anybody really give a Shi'ite?

And some of the personal stuff some websites ask for, I just make up random B.S.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 08:49:43 PM »

Why start a Yahoo group when we have this Forum. Further fragmentation only hurts information sharing.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 10:34:17 PM »

" Why start a Yahoo group when we have this Forum. Further fragmentation only hurts information sharing. '

I think its something  about frogs and the size of the pond........

klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 10:31:44 AM »

Don't know about frogs, but if I had a question, would I want to ask it to a group a 5 or 10 or a group of 2000?

Fragmentation is not useful.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 10:54:21 AM »

Fragmentation is not useful.

Precisely my point last week when he announced it on the AMRadio list. Seen it many times before, shiny new toy = new list! Or you get the 'my favorite radio' approach, which also results in a thin gene pool.  Few sign up, even fewer hang around, while most ask 'why another list?'. It's not like the 'net or the world are overrun by AMers and old BC transmitters.

Beyond ego or lack of knowledge about other resources, it defies explanation. I've never had to 'hunt' for any BC transmitter info beyond asking here or on the AMRadio reflector. The amount of knowledge here is amazing. 

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 11:12:04 AM »

It's called the network effect - the usefulness of a network (in this case an information sharing group) is equal to the number of its members squared, but only after the membership reaches some size known as critical mass. This forum is well past critical mass (yea, go ahead with the atomic explosion jokes) whereas most of these splinter groups never achieve let alone sustain it.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 11:13:53 AM »

Few sign up, even fewer hang around, while most ask 'why another list?'.

[/quote]

Todd,

Don't have a BCX, nor am I involved in the list other then to subscribe.

But using that logic why have AMFONE? Why not just one ham radio list or BB? Then we could tap into all the knowledge of all the hams out there. Grin

Seriously I subscribe to lists regarding Ten Tec and Icom specifically because they are focused on certain rigs. I would not want to get a general SSB mailing or go to a general SSB Web Site to see if perhaps someone posted something about the rigs I want

As of today there are 56 people (some who have pretty familiar calls or IDs) who want information from a focused group.

AMFone is great but I'm glad there is enough interest in AM to drive different lists and web sites.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 11:16:15 AM »

(yea, go ahead with the atomic explosion jokes)

* Trinity_explosion.jpg (20.42 KB, 400x306 - viewed 416 times.)

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 11:24:03 AM »

Since AMers are just about the only ones that would use BC transmitters on the ham bands, it makes perfect sense to ask questions about them right here, just as questions about numerous other AM transmitter types and manufacturers are asked here. Comparing the small group of AMers to the large group of all hams is invalid. The larger group can be split into smaller groups without the negative effects I previously noted. The same cannot be said for our small groups.

The reality is we have members of this board that have forgotten more about broadcast transmitters than most people know. Many have been using them on the ham bands for decades. Why would I want to go somewhere else to ask a question about broadcast transmitters on the ham bands? It's akin to going to the hardware store for brain surgery.

Few sign up, even fewer hang around, while most ask 'why another list?'.

Todd,

Don't have a BCX, nor am I involved in the list other then to subscribe.

But using that logic why have AMFONE? Why not just one ham radio list or BB? Then we could tap into all the knowledge of all the hams out there. Grin

Seriously I subscribe to lists regarding Ten Tec and Icom specifically because they are focused on certain rigs. I would not want to get a general SSB mailing or go to a general SSB Web Site to see if perhaps someone posted something about the rigs I want

As of today there are 56 people (some who have pretty familiar calls or IDs) who want information from a focused group.

AMFone is great but I'm glad there is enough interest in AM to drive different lists and web sites.

[/quote]
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 11:24:28 AM »

Specific to the need, Carl. In this case, mode. Although you'll see some stuff about TenTec and Icom gear on 'fone under the 'modern rigs' section, as they relate to AM. BC xmtrs are pretty specific to AM, and with the wealth of knowledge here and its sister reflector, Mike has a far better chance of getting his questions answered here. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing any posts from him about the transmitter, maybe I missed 'em.  Wink

You won't see a lot of posts here specific to CW or SSB, which would warrant a new group if something wasn't already in existence. Not because AMers have no interest, mainly because the board is built to cater to AMers.

That was kinda my point: there really isn't, as time has shown repeatedly. When you check some of these sites or subscribe to some of these lists, certainly - they do exist. But the silence is deafening. The Clegg and Johnson lists come to mind. I've asked questions about the Viking KW on the Johnson list before on several occasions, with no responses. Here, no problem. Within minutes, either an answer or request for further clarification. Not always the case, but usually.

The reality is we have members of this board that have forgotten more about broadcast transmitters than most people know. Many have been using them on the ham bands for decades. Why would I want to go somewhere else to ask a question about broadcast transmitters on the ham bands? It's akin to going to the hardware store for brain surgery.

One of the things I like most about 'fone: even though some do use these rigs on the air now, many others have worked with them in the past or otherwise have extensive knowledge to share not likely to be found on other, more specific lists. Chances are good that someone on here either has one, had one, or worked on one at some point.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015