The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:54:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Did We Miss This?  (Read 9654 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« on: June 23, 2008, 11:16:03 PM »

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2008/04/25/10064/?nc=1
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 11:32:08 PM »

I saw it; read it; and yelled YAY! and applauded

Can't remember why I chose not to post it here.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:18:42 AM »

Go team!!

My dues paid off again.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 12:25:07 AM »

I figured all you guys read the ARRL news.. Note the mention of Dallas TX and the "power line testing equipment" or whatever.

I tell ya what is messing me up in some cases -the DART electric rail. miles of wire, and the switchmode controllers in the trains.. It is just like a giant electric train set. I know because the "AC adapter" is a couple blocks away in a small building. The transformer is an open core affair about 12 feet long, 8 feet tall, and 3 feet deep. Anyway, telemetry is sent on the wires as a series of tones that repeat rapidly over and over. The pitch of each tone to represent the value of the information. The caucauphony be heard by putting the car's AM radio to 910AM, and it interferes with the station rather nicely.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 08:39:03 AM »

I tell ya what is messing me up in some cases -the DART electric rail. miles of wire, and the switchmode controllers in the trains.. It is just like a giant electric train set. I know because the "AC adapter" is a couple blocks away in a small building. The transformer is an open core affair about 12 feet long, 8 feet tall, and 3 feet deep. Anyway, telemetry is sent on the wires as a series of tones that repeat rapidly over and over. The pitch of each tone to represent the value of the information. The caucauphony be heard by putting the car's AM radio to 910AM, and it interferes with the station rather nicely.

Have you complained about it?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 11:15:55 PM »

Have you complained about it?

I just got back from a trip to Dallas this past week.  I used both the Trinity Railway Express and DART.  I was impressed by the cleanliness and efficiency of both systems (except for the fact that TRE, the one you take to the airport, doesn't run on Sundays).

If those signals are causing problems in the broadcast band at 910 kc/s, what about 160m at 1820, the second harmonic?

Sounds like something that could be easily fixed if someone complained, particularly if the FeeCee became involved.  It is a new system, just beginning to get good ridership particularly with current gas prices, so I doubt they would want any bad press right now.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 07:42:16 AM »

I think this was being discussed here a short time ago

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=15886.0

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 11:39:18 PM »

It is intermod in my car radio. I have been so far unable to prove it is the rail system on any frequency of interest. I may have to do some more testing.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
AB9IL
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 09:41:21 PM »

Good news. 

The sooner BPL is buried, the sooner the United States can get on with real no BS broadband.  The FCC was way out of line advocating that inferior BPL technology.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 09:45:29 PM »

Good news. 

The sooner BPL is buried, the sooner the United States can get on with real no BS broadband.  The FCC was way out of line advocating that inferior BPL technology.

Thank god and greyhound that guy is gone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015