The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:50:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whatever happeed to Barry, N6CSW?  (Read 4670 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: June 30, 2008, 09:44:31 PM »

I just noticed that the former publisher of ER Magazine's ham license expired in February...And wasn't renewed.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 11:11:02 PM »

He moved to Canada after he handed ER over to Ray.   But that was years ago.  I haven't heard from him since.

Jon
k7yoo

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 11:29:45 PM »

After Barry sold ER I don't think he was interested in keeping up any of the ham radio relationships or connections for personal reasons. He moved to the Pacific NW to pursue other interests--among them boating. I know of one individual that contacted him several years ago and the main response was "how did you get my number". There is more to the story but in respect for Barry I will not go any further. I am sure there are other folks with info on this, who like me, don't want to go any further with it.
Barry and I became good acquaintences from issue #1 onward, and had many enthusiastic conversations about boatanchors and life in general. I miss him because he was a genuinely nice person and a real gentleman.
Skip
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:44:48 AM »

Thanks, Skip.
I wish Barry and Shirley well.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 10:33:21 AM »

When I was out there in 2003 picking up the 300G, he was selling off his vast collection of gear (vast = several BC transmitters, several GPT-750s, loads of receivers, etc) via ebay after selling the magazine to Ray. At that time as Skip says, he was interested in getting a boat and doing some sailing, and planned to relocate back to BC.

From talking with him, I got the same impression as Skip: he was ready to move on to something else for a number of reasons. ER was his child, he built it from the ground up and lived it for many years. 'nuff said.

My only regret was not having more time to chat with the man. He was the consummate gentleman, extremely knowledgeable and friendly. He put me at ease quickly. Shirley was a sweetheart too, and made the best iced tea I've ever had (VERY cold). Before leaving, Barry gave me a neat little HB crystal set from his collection, built into one ear piece of an old set of Brandes earphones. Very ingenious.

Of all the publications squirreled away for the future, ER is my favorite - especially the early years. The Kelvinator Kilowatt, Ozona Bob, Walt Hutchen's In Uniform columns, and great articles like Skip's story of the birth of the KW-1. History with a contemporary twist, for the benefit of those not around or involved then.

Many folks have done a lot for the preservation and furthering of tube gear, AM, and so on, but none more than Barry and Shirley with respect to their efforts for so many. I hope they continue to enjoy long, happy lives.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 08:34:02 PM »

Interesting. I first talked to Barry on the air back in the 80's during an AM QSO Party on 15 meters. I think ER may have sponsored it. Lots of fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015