The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:05:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I passed my extra exam!  (Read 8430 times)
kf6pqt

« on: June 29, 2008, 11:28:59 AM »

Technically it was the 3rd attempt, but only the second serious attempt.

First, after passing my 5 wpm code and General exam back in '06, I was like "sure, what the heck!" Lots of red ink. Wink

Last month I missed three too many. Yesterday I passed with a margin of three. Hey, I'm not an engineer, and I'm terrible with math. Wink

So yesterday was a pretty good day, went to the TRW swap and scored an almost-finished homebrew 2x 813  rf deck, and a National RAO-6/ NC-120, passed the exam there.  Then came home and went and visited the local ham club for the first time, a nice enough group of encom-ers, who really weren't much into HF, but as soon as I said I was they sat me down in front of their really expensive ricebox and I netted them more contacts in an hour than they had previously that day. Ate one of their hamburgers, too. Wink  Then, met up with the GF and we went to the racetrack and watched a bunch of roundy-round races and a demolition derby!

Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 12:16:52 PM »

Sounds like a good day all around.
Congratulations!

Bill KA8WTK
AF9J
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 01:46:52 PM »

Way to go Jason!  Congratulations!

Ellen - AF9J
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 02:25:50 PM »

Congratulations, Jason!  You may not be an engineer yet, but with your obvious interest in AM, Boat Anchors, and Home Brew, you will grow in practical experience and have lots of fun along the way!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 09:28:13 AM »

I'll add my congrats to the group, Jason - good job! It was only a matter of time, what with your abilities to scavenge and packrat already in place.

You'll love that RAO, they're a fun receiver even if they do weigh a ton. I have a -7 that was my first 'real' boatanchor, and second Gen Coverage receiver after the venerable S-40B. Spent many an hour in front of that rig, lights out, dial glowing, scanning the frequencies for interesting stations. Seems a fitting reward for passing your Extra?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 07:39:17 PM »

Congrats Jason!!!!! I missed the opportunity with the last set of questions. Now July is a new set of VEC questions.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
N8LGU

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:56:31 PM »

Congrats Jason! The Extra "expanded phone license" is the way to go!  FB on the National catacomb rcvr. I have an NC 2-40D and love it. See you around 3705 kc.

"Rock Cave Dave"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 09:16:16 AM »

But Jason,
               I see that the DX-100 is still not at your operating position! (From your QRZ bio picture)  Grin Grin

the Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
kf6pqt

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 11:23:13 AM »

Thanks everyone!

Yes, the DX-100 is still not in the shack. There's a ham who runs a little business selling capacitor kits that have sorta-original looking replacements for the can caps. When he gets back from his family vacation after the 4th weekend, I'm going to order one of those kits and replace all of the filter electrolytics, and any others in there that don't appear to be from 1990 or later.

Once I have that variable eliminated, I'm going to take a serious look at the voltage divider string for the final screens, do whatever needs to be done there.

At that point it should be ready for some on-air testing with an external speech amp, if that goes well I'll just have to clean up and reinstall the stock speech amp and it'll be a done deal!

Thats the PLAN, anyway. Wink

Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 11:26:20 AM »

I just couldn't resist a little "poke in the ribs" Grin Wink

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W1EUJ
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 12:07:58 PM »

Jason,

Hayseed Hamfest? I got a very nice kit from them for my DX-60. Looked great, fits in well, all the other caps I needed for the job.

David Goncalves
W1EUJ
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »

Congratulations!
kf6pqt

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 02:02:52 AM »

Thanks!

Yep, Hayseed Hamfest.

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print