The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:25:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WTD Circuit for 10 W Mod  (Read 7343 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« on: June 06, 2008, 08:39:14 AM »

I am trying to build up a very small 10 watt modulator using tubes. I have looked at various circuits but can't seem to find what I need.

Specs I would like are:

10 watts of modulation for the plate
Preferably 2, but can accept 3 tubes
Prefer miniature tubes but can use one octal
Hi Z input
Have 400 V and plenty of current available.

Anybody have any thoughts of circuits?

Thanks and 73

Carl /KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 10:15:11 AM »

Carl, have you tried any of the guitar amp/audiophool sites? I'm wondering about a pair of 12A** types, AX7, AU7, AT7, maybe P-P. Or perhaps a trio of 6U8, GH8, EA8s?

Should be something snaggable out there, not unlike driving a HB rig with the ol' PA or mono audio amp?

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 11:18:29 AM »

400V ...  seems made to order for 6bq5 pp .... can get up to 15 clean W with dese  guys
...a 6gh8 would make a pretty good gain stage / phase inverter ... there probably are other as good / better choices  ... judicious use of feedback to make clean...73..John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:23:24 AM »

Hi Carl,

Along the lines of what Todd said, I steal a lot of audio ideas from here:

http://www.schematicheaven.com/index_HTML.htm

Lots of PA and guitar amp schematics using a variety of different tubes at various power levels. Should be something there that fits the bill.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 01:58:48 PM »

Carl,
       the fly in your ointment is the need to do it with only 2 or 3 tubes. That makes it kinda tough to get enough stages of amplification. You might want to look up a 6GW8 (IIRC). It is a triode / pentode audio amp tube. I believe the triode is of the high Mu variety and the pentode is an audio power amp. They were used in the old Lafayette HA460s and 410s. Also used in some of the last generation lower end audio stuff. A pair should make about 10w if you beat the snot out of them.

Use one of the triode sections an the speech amp, use the other ones triode section as the fuzz inverter and both pentode sections in shove yank as the outpoot. You may have to use a third tube (like the triode section of a 6AV6) for the mike amp, but that would do it with 3 tubes.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 02:50:29 PM »

Carl,
        You might want to look up a 6GW8 (IIRC). It is a triode / pentode audio amp tube. I believe the triode is of the high Mu variety and the pentode is an audio power amp.

The Slab Bacon

Frank,
Great idea- Take a look at this audio amp I found based on your suggestion of the tube

* sv6bm8_04.gif (26.59 KB, 750x775 - viewed 1043 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 05:41:44 PM »

does the 47 pf feedback cap look a bit wimpy? I dont remember enough about feedback loops to remember that components exact function at petticoat junction.  Undecided
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 07:37:47 PM »

6AN8 or similar will give you a pentode section for lots of gain and a triode  section for a phase inverter. With high gain mic, carbon or crystal,  it might work. I'd say definitely with a carbon, but, of course it will sound like  crap.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 09:06:37 AM »

Pair of 6AQ5s for the output, or a 6360 dual tetrode would also be dandy.  The afore-mentioned 6AN8 pentode/triode should drive these well.  Remember you won't get much, if any, gain from the phase inverter stage.

Using the 6360 would halve your output tube count.  It was originally meant for VHF push-pull output stage but someone (Bill Kleneromous?) used it as the audio output in a HIHIFI R-390A audio mod.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 09:32:37 AM »

400V is a little high for 6aq5 at full power .... they might not last too long but they are tough ....If you are space constrained and have extra B+ might consider some form of series modulation without extra iron ... If you are considering 10W of plate mod, that is ... this would fit in nicely with the 2 tube count ..(pass tube and gain stage/driver)   might need an additional fil xfmr ... interesting problem ...73  John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 05:47:56 PM »

Three tubes.

1 - 12AX7 (one half is the mics amp, second is a voltage amp)

1- 6AN8 (pentode section is a voltage amp, triode section is phase-inverter)

1 6DZ7 or 6DY7 (These are essentially a pair of 6BQ5s in a single envelope. Running push-pull Class AB1, you could get 10-12 watts with just 300 volts on the plates. They will take 400 volts and produce close to 20 watts at max).

This set up will have enough gain for any reasonable mic. If you want only two tubes, skip the 12AX7 stages.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015