The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:18:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who modifed SCR 269 (BC 433) ADFs for Marine Band? West Coast  (Read 2873 times)
af6im
Contributing

AF6IM jumping from a C54G, 1999 Quincy Illinois.

« on: May 25, 2008, 05:20:40 PM »

I grew up in commercial fishing, my Dad's trade. In the early 1960s I saw a few very slick conversions of the SCR 269  radio compass system for use on boats. These were on the West Coast and rumored to originate from Southern CA, possible Morro Bay. What was so impressive is that the person making these printed his own plastic dials for the control head that had the 2-3 MHz marine band on band 3. It looked just like a stock dial, but different freqs. The inside of the BC 433 rcvr often had one can painted red, the one holding the osc coil for band 3. I now have one of these rare modified control heads and wondered who made these?

The BC 433 worked great on MF AM direction finding, better than any commercial gear available at the time.
af6im
Contributing

AF6IM jumping from a C54G, 1999 Quincy Illinois.

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 01:59:02 PM »

Thought I'd ping again. I am determined to find out who made these surplus SCR 269 ADF conversions. Sooner or later some old timer will come up with the answer.

AF6IM
Mark
KG6UTS
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 12:31:57 PM »

Mark,
Ralph Wiliams of the 'Williams Radio Company' in San Diego built transmitters, DFs, etc for the fishing fleet back in the '50s and '60s. He used a lot if Mil-surplus parts and conversions. When he became SK I hauled away lots of xfmrs, chokes, and manuals from his shop the day before it all went to the dumpster. Somebody had cherry picked the tubes etc but left the iron and paper goods. There was an SCR-269 manual in the heap..so..he might have modded them for the Tuna Fleet.

73!
Ed Zeranski
KL7OF

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 04:30:33 PM »

About 15 yrs ago, a fella gave me a NIB WW2 radio direction finder radio complete with rotatable loop antenna and direction indicating head...I advertised it for sale in a west coast aircraft classified rag and the guy who bought it said he was using them for boat radios...He paid $300 as I remember...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015