The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:03:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel Oil  (Read 78239 times)
ka3zlr
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2008, 08:00:36 PM »

Then install a little monkey in the white house.

Only thing left to do is disarm the population. Watch the S.C. on DC gun laws.
I'm sure won't come out till after November.
Yea, we are free...free to pay out the a$$.
I was working with some people from Canada this week and it is interesting comparing the price of health care and gas with them. They don't support the begging world and the crooks in the middle east so their government isn't 10T in the hole.

Oh Frank..it's just beginning OM, France and Germany are Broke under the cover of the Euro...BMW will need to move to America or somewhere to Produce because of the Deficit......Someone Sequestered the Fed on the Amount of Cash in circulation...it's a Laugh...there's not enough on hand OM...it's getting interesting globally, because of the ""Possible"" threat of Non payment on the interest we owe everybody.........it's gona go Global Financially....
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2008, 09:12:42 AM »

Wow...$135 a barrel this morning. No stopping it from $150-$200 by this winter.

I'm definitely switching  to the electric boiler this summer. The job will cost me $1,500, but there's no question about doing it now.

OR I'm moving to a little cabin in the woods, starting a little solar garden and becoming a hermit.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2008, 10:09:35 AM »

The Fed is just a front for the banks to provide maximum profit for banks.

Get yourself a smart electric water heater. $330 at home depot. How do you figure $1500. I put electric heat in the new QTH for $500.
man I'm glad R35 in the walls and R67 overhead.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2008, 10:54:02 AM »

Argo 40,000 to 50,000 BTU 240V, 90A electric boiler is about $1300 which matches the outpoot of my existing system. Misc plumbing stuff and etc takes it to maybe $1,500...Unless you've got a deal for me!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2008, 12:09:47 PM »

Man, 90 amps that is some QRO. 1 KW is  about 3000 btu
sounds like 60 amps would do it.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2008, 01:22:34 PM »

I have heard speculation that the same conditions that caused the housing crisis in USA also exist in Europe and it's just a matter of time till the faeces hit the fan there too.  The result will be a devalued Euro and strengthening of the $US.

But nothing to be joyful about. If true, then both currencies won't be worth the paper they are printed on.

In this morning's paper, the currency exchange rate showed the Canadian dollar to be worth about $1.02 US, or conversely, the $US is worth only about $0.98 Canadian.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »

With our fast cars, handheld computers and digital television sets, it's easy to feel better off than the previous generation. But there's more to prosperity than electrical goods - and in many ways today's 30 and 40-somethings are worse off than their parents.

It's not much of a legacy is it? It seems our children will pay the price for our debt-fuelled consumer spending spree. But if they won't inherit any wealth from their cash-strapped parents, at least they might inherit a more responsible attitude to money. Let's hope so, for all our sakes.

http://money.uk.msn.com/consumer/article.aspx?cp-documentid=8348191

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2008, 03:15:45 PM »

I've been working with some customers from Canada. We have been comparing notes on prices and services......welcome to America the new third world.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2008, 03:26:52 PM »

I burn about 2 gallons of fuel a year to proccess my heating fuel
and spend about $550, for the raw, solid fuel I burn for heat.

That's for an almost uninsulated, 2000sqft house, in Verminmont.

I could not even consider burning propane or oil for heat...
It would be more like $700-1000 a month easily.

Bad enough, my wife works 8 miles from home, and it costs $50 a month JUST for gas to get to and from work.
(she's been riding her bike to work at least once a week now)

I don't know how you guys living in the more populated areas are able to deal with it......
What would your neighbors who live 10 feet on either side of you think if you fired up a wood-boiler?

Of course, those are all but outlawed here in Verminmont now.....

Oh, I guess you can still run one if it was installed by April 1, 2008... but, if you install one now, it has to meet the emission standards...!( these are $9,000 and up... the old ones were $2,000 and up)

These are the out-door boilers.... I guess you can burn whatever smoky, stinky crap you want to if your stove/boiler is INSIDE your house.... but OUTSIDE your house is a different story....
(By the way, for those of you not familiar with a wood-burning stove....the smoke ALL goes outdoors!!)

One more way of grabbing some extra $$ from those trying to get around buying oil...

K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2008, 03:58:54 PM »

I have heard speculation that the same conditions that caused the housing crisis in USA also exist in Europe and it's just a matter of time till the faeces hit the fan there too.  The result will be a devalued Euro and strengthening of the $US.
The best explanation of the sub-prime now credit meltdown I've heard is an episode of This American Life of all things. That's about the last place I'd look for information but there it is, a collaboration with the business editors of NPR which answered many of the questions I had about how this came to pass.   

The episode is called "Giant Pool of Money" 
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1242

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2008, 04:35:22 PM »

I'm contemplating replacing my existing and 7 year old boiler with  a multi-fuel boiler that can burn wood, coal and fuel oil.  Anyone have any experience with multi fuel furnaces?  I have no idea what the cost would be for the furnace and the labor to install or what to expect in return.  Like some thoughts.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
ka3zlr
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2008, 07:57:41 PM »

Stick and brick Homes are still Stick and brick Homes are still Stick and brick Homes..

The Value placed on any design however manipulated by design, is was and always will be a misguided allusion. The Paper wealth generated by the few that generated interest by the many on regeneration of wealth buy sell, and led many more into the allusion of worth by design and location, brought about it's own demise by over blown projected worth.

Again, a Stick and brick home is Still just a Stick and Brick home...
ka3zlr
« Reply #112 on: May 23, 2008, 05:25:19 AM »

..There's only one way to handle this:

a Groucho Crescendo...:

...." quite obviously ladies and gentlemen the plus and minuses only lead to one concept..on demand luberisity.. Shocked..there isn't a body on this rock that will ever wear anything out that creates it's own lubrication......"...now wouldn't that fuel your Falcon...Ford your Falcon....Ok forget the Falcon....LOL.....
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »

I don't know who Aster and Harmon are but they appear to be idiots. The world wide demand for oil is about 86,000 barrels a day. The current production is at 85,000. Not too hard to figure that one out.

From today's newspaper:

"Financial traders are the greatest influence on the increasing price, he said.  As long as the financial traders are in control of the market and they think they can make another dollar, it's going to continue to go up he said.  Because the dollar is weak in the foreign market, a lot of people are hopping on gas and oil futures, Astor said.

Harman said the price of gas isn't following good market fundamentals.  That is, the price isn't following the rules of supply and demand.  It's very hard for everybody today to find out how much is the speculator role and how much of it actually has to do with available energy"

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2008, 01:18:51 AM »

if yer money is not already stashed in the mayonnaise jar buried under the house, it might be a good time to put it there for a bit.

Futures trading will eventually lead to a bad end like a ponzi scheme.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
NE4AM

« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2008, 09:18:44 AM »

>>>if yer money is not already stashed in the mayonnaise jar buried under the house, it might be a good time to put it there for a bit.<<<

oh no no no no!  With the price of commodities  steadily increading, paper money just keeps losing its value.  Best to convert yer greenbacks into sumpin that is increasing in value, like copper wire, especially if that copper wire is 132 feet long, and suspended between 2 trees....

It is interesting to look at the exchange rate of dollars vs. Euros.  For the past 4 years, the dollar has steadily lost value.  If you continue the trend, by 2012, the dollar will actually have NEGATIVE value compared to the Euro.  Imagine that!  In 2012, you go to a VW dealer, and they will FORCE you to take a new car - ONLY if you accept a shoebox full of $100s along with it.  The future is a wacky place.

73 - Dave NM0S

73 - Dave
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015